Car Insurance rates by specific vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I was surprised to see that my 2008 Corolla costs more to insure than my 2011 Cruze. I have read that Corollas are expensive to insure.
Short of calling my insurance company is there a website that gives the rates on particular models? This could be a tie-breaker when deciding between 2 vehicles.

Maybe all the recalls and bad press made the insurance companies "scared" to cover Toyotas,and when they do,you will pay.??

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Maybe all the recalls and bad press made the insurance companies "scared" to cover Toyotas,and when they do,you will pay.??

Maybe that plays into some of it.

The major factors on determining insurance rates for a specific make/model depends on the statistics of how often they're involved in accidents and how expensive they are to repair. A prime example is the 2-door Chevy Cobalt vs. the 4-door. The 2-door is a prime kid's car and statistically sees lots of accidents that are expensive to repair. Therefore it's rates are WAY higher than the 4-dr.

Joel

Last edited:
Easily & most frequently stolen in the past, etc. The rampant rise of fraud.

p.s. The answer to basic vehicular insurance is "pay at the pump", whereby ALL vehicles are provided with legal MINIMUM amounts of liability & medical coverages on a NO FAULT basis with the funding coming from the sale of every gallon of gas, diesel and every watt of alternative power used by the vehicles for transportation.

Additional coverages (i.e., collision, comprehensive, additional liability & medical) would be available to those wishing to purchase them, but all the basic avenues for fraud are removed: you can't receive more than the legal minimum limits unless you in turn purchase additional coverages.

Of course you would not be TAXED for failure to purchase additional coverages, either. Now, something like THATwouldn't be fair, would it?

Last edited:
Numb drivers flock to toyotas. No nice way to put it. Also daddys buy them for their texting teens who then don't care to avoid accidents. Watching people not handle sudden accelleration incidents with aplomb (as a mass) must frighten the insurance companies.

I would expect the numbers to be a closely guarded secret and to vary slightly from company to company. They pay lots of actuaries lots of money to figure it out. Would pay to shop around. They can give you a fairly reliable but generic quote with driver stats and car stats and not getting specific on personal info.

So I basically have to call my insurance company and get a rate for the cars that I'm considering?
You would think this info would be readily available.
What good is saving $150 a year in gasoline on Car A if it cost that much more than Car B to insure.

We have a 08 Corolla and a 05 Altima SE. Both have the same full coverages from State Farm. The Corolla is $9.00 cheaper then the Altima for six months.

I was just checking with my agent and a Corvette is cheaper than a Camero.
Insurance Co seems to think older and more stable drivers get Vettes.

Older cars have a higher rate than new because they are more likely to be totaled.

A new car is less likely to be a total loss because it's total value is higher.

A more accurate comparison is a 2011 Corolla to a 2011 Cruze. The 2008 is more likely to be a total loss because it's value is lower than the newer Cruze.

My buudy is in the process of trading his 2008 Cobalt SS Turbo for a 2007 base Corvette - the insurance is a LOT cheaper.

Kids wreck Turbo 'ricer' Cobalts...old executives drive Vettes.

Try to insure a Mustang in your early 20s, not cheap. When I went to add my 95 to my insurance it only added maybe $400 or so a year will full coverage and $250 deductible.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Numb drivers flock to toyotas. No nice way to put it. Also daddys buy them for their texting teens who then don't care to avoid accidents. Watching people not handle sudden accelleration incidents with aplomb (as a mass) must frighten the insurance companies.

You're an [censored], this comment is uncalled for and I take offense as a multi Toyota owner

I would expect the numbers to be a closely guarded secret and to vary slightly from company to company. They pay lots of actuaries lots of money to figure it out. Would pay to shop around. They can give you a fairly reliable but generic quote with driver stats and car stats and not getting specific on personal info.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601

You're an [censored], this comment is uncalled for and I take offense as a multi Toyota owner

I don't think he was calling out all Toyota owners.

Plenty of Toyota owners are not numb. One of my neighbors has a newer Corolla that has been tastefully modified and he drives better than most people I know. My uncle, before he passed, was a fanatic of old Land Cruisers and 4Runners too, and he put them to work.

But there is also the segment of Toyota owners who bought it because "I need a car with automatic stuff that doesn't break." It's a safe choice for people who have no idea how to shop for a car and don't want to. They just need a thing that moves and has an automatic, A/C, and the usual power features. It's really not so much of an insult to say that the brand is a default choice for people with zero interest in cars.

When I bought my Civic in my early 20s I was unpleasantly surprised by astronomical insurance rates. My advice when wondering about this is to call your insurance company and ask them what your rate would be with your EXACT current coverage on the car you're looking to buy.

I've even gone so far as to find a representative car on a dealer website and get a quote from my insurance company with the VIN. It can vary a lot per car and it doesn't always work out "intuitively".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back