Mann vs Mahle Knecht comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
got my box of various filters delivered today.
Those are Mann H829/1x vs Mahle OX92 D.
I'm happy that both are not Chinese [censored].

Mahle is about $1 more. It has additional paper grid and 58 pleats. And it is considered OE.
Made in Austria.
Mann is made in Brasil and has 61 pleats.
Both are greatly made and feel very solid.
I think I'll get some cheap filters to compare and use from rockauto, since I don't think car will get driven that much, and I plan to change oil 1-1.5 years.
7469510122_9d4bbb456d_h.jpg

7469509414_1cabf958e7_h.jpg

Interesting. I like the metal caps and high-end construction. It's hard to justify sloppily-spaced pleats on lesser filters after seeing products like this. What's with the "convenient carrying handles"? (That's also my phrase whenever I see a "whale tail" spoiler on a car trunk....either that or, "Wow! Nice coffee table that guy has." Or "Nice wine and cheese table!" on rare occasions.) Hard to pick between the two filters with the info and photos given -- they both look like similar, fine choices. But don't forget to throw in a Hengst, another top-shelf option! I've seen those outer wraps a few times before (BMW filters), but never knew what they were about. I assume that, like most or all filters, the flow is from outside to inside. So, by my squirrel logic, the media should never "balloon," although it could certainly collapse under pressure. So wuzzup wit da wrap?

I think Mahle with wrap is what they call Fleet Filter and it is highly recommend on Benzworld forums if you follow FSS. Which can easily tell you to go 15k miles. Cheapo filters are not recommended for 15k miles(sure) and there were TBS stating that they were falling apart...

I like the uniformity of the pleating on the Austrian filter.
"Edelweis, Edelweis bless my homeland forever.."

Originally Posted By: pbm
I like the uniformity of the pleating on the Austrian filter.
"Edelweis, Edelweis bless my homeland forever.."

Mahle is the LEADING OEM vendor for many German car makers including VW/Audi,BMW,Mercedes. Also used in SAAB, Volvo, Mini.

FYI....USUALLY Mahle is same as Knecht. They are divisions of the same company. I've never seen a air or oil filter from either that is NOT made in Austria (which has the same high standards as Germany for manufacturing (they are basically cousins LOL)

Generally the HIGHEST quality among the OEM vendors for Europe for this type of application.

Mann is also very good,
as is Valeo ( Renault, Peugeot, Citroen)
Magnetti-Marelli (Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Ferrari,)

Last edited:
Mann also has nice even pleats, It's just one or 2 have more space near the seam, and the angle of the picture, which makes it look huge
smile.gif

That's what came out from the car. Didn't see brand name, made in Poland.
Had to jack up engine in order to fully remove oil filter cap.
FSS (MBs OLM with dielectric sensor) showed 6200 left. I reset it and it showed 10000, so I guess filter had max 4800 miles, or much less miles in short runs.
7478181742_47ffed51db_z.jpg

7478180752_91f8c60d6f_z.jpg

Do you guys think I should follow FSS even if oil stays in engine longer than 1-1.5 years.
Oils to be used Lubro Moly TopTec 5w-40, Motul 5w-40 LL-04, should soon receive 6q of Mobil1 TDT 5w-40. 6q Mobil 1 5w-50, and 4 gallons of Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40. Thanks to promo forum threads
smile.gif

Last edited:
The plot thickens! (Regarding the mystery of the media sleeves.) The sleeve here doesn't cover the entire media, so it's not about channeling the oil in some way, protecting against incoming oil pulses, or preventing perforated/torn media. The middle of the pleats is the most likely place for the media to bulge, if so inclined, and that's where the sleeve is positioned. So it appears to me that sleeves are merely anti-outward-bulging reinforcements. I never figured that'd be necessary since I thought that pretty much all filters flowed from out-to-in.

FYI, if the hardware here (the hook and its retaining loops) are 100% identical to the new Mann you have, I'd suggest this mystery filter you removed is probabaly a Mann. You can usually determine a filter's maker by the hardware, such as by comparing end caps.

It states right on the filter that it's a NAPA Gold 1246 which is a Wix 51246 and likely produced in Poland.

The outer sleave is used to facilitate manufacturing. Some applications will use the sleave to hold the media in place during production. There is no benefit to its presence regarding filtration and this shouldn't be used as factor as such. Some companies will use a piece of string to hold the media in place as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back