Auto-RX in a rear differential?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be a question for Frank but maybe someone else would know too. Would a small amount of auto-RX(2 ounces per quart of diff. fluid?) have any benefits in a rear differential? I'm thinking that conditioning of axle seals and any other seals/gaskets in there may be of some benefit for some older and higher mileage cars.

Also the possibility of cleaning up and putting any gunk in suspension until the next fluid change, assuming there would be any gunk in a differential to clean up in the first place? And if any cleaning and conditioning action may be possible and beneficial what would a the correct treatment mileage/procedure be?

Does anyone have any insite on this? TIA

I personaly would not do this. It would get over in the axle tubes where it cannot be drained and I would question it's abilities to handle the extreme pressures of the gears over time.I guess I am wondering what the Auto-RX does when beat down over time,,if it got fragged I would want every bit out of there and would not be possible to drain it all because of the axle tubes

If the differential was in good shape the Synthetic gear lubes available would help the seals to an extent.

Kernal,

Never specifically tested it in a differential, can't imagine needing cleaning one out with Auto-RX. THe Auto-RX Chemists may have but I haven't heard about it.

As far as helping seals probably would if they are leaking and not mechanically damaged.

Knowing the chemistry it would not hurt anything in the diff, it would add some Ep capability but that was designed to protect the metal for cleaning not act as a diff lube. The ester components would not breakdown in any case or cause problems. Just not designed for that application.

Maybe Frank will have more info on this subject that is better informed.

[ October 23, 2002, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Terry,

If Auto RX is safe to run in an automatic transmission, I would certainly see no issues with using a small amount in a differential or manual transmission. I've seen some sludged up rear axle where the lube was ran too long. Probably one of the most overlooked components on any RWD vehicle and the reason many are specing PAO synthetics for these applications.

As I recalled, Auto Rx was about 7 Cst @ 100C, which is pretty thin. So I would limit the application to perhaps 3%-5% of the system capacity to clean it out nice and slowly. I'd be interested in Franks comments???

I continue to be very impressed with the stuff in my Audi. The oil pan gasket is almost dry after the second application. Quite frankly, I thought you'd been out in the sun too long without a hat when I first talked to you about this product
wink.gif

Wait till you hear about the latest cutting edge technology we have been in the sun without a hat studying !

Frank recommended I put 2oz in each diff. and the transfer case for 1500 miles in my Toyota 4x4. I have about 800 left to go.
smile.gif

If one did use Auto-Rx in the diffy, I would highly recommend a GL lube change about 5k down the road, assuming it would dislodge sludge from the wheel bearings and axle tubes.

I wonder if once would even be enough though with those axle tubes being horizontal they are not of the best design for draining.

I like the idea of using a synthetic gear oil for potential seal cleaning even if ever so slowly in doing it.

I read the posts that the synthetic oils will clean an engine and seals also after a mineral oil has been used for a long time.

I tested Auto-RX for engines, period.

I don't promote Auto-RX for financial gain, I genuinely think it is a great product.

I have tested multiple other similar cleaning/lubricating products since testing Auto-RX that are completely different chemistries(petroleum based solvents or overbased calcium sulfonates).

If I like them I will share some of that here.

And like Auto-RX I won't promote them for financial gain but share an opinion based on emperical testing. I really don't have a favorite product of the week like many who are searching for the Holy grail of lubricant products, Then want a special deal on them.

I don't normally make comments about something I haven't tested unless I know the composition of the chemistry.

Auto-RX has a ester based EP additive thus my comment on that.

Pops as far as filters needed, Auto-RX has a dispersant capability that will safely carry small particles in a protective lubricated encapsulation until drain. This is known as a micelle or micel.

Timken testing Auto-RX is interesting but since it is not a "stand alone" product it would be highly variable based on many factors including ,temperature,base oil and adds,etc.

Auto-RX is a metal cleaner derived from a non petroleum chemistry derived from "natural" sources. That and the fact that it is uniquely safe and effective engenders itself to my short list of NEATO products.

Just because I comment on a product in a seemingly postive fashion is not a recommnedation to go out and stock up or live or die by a Brand name.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back