Is Quaker State "fully synthetic" any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running Quaker State full synthetic in the bronze bottle now. I'm using it because the owners manual recommends QS and I've been sucked in to their 300,000 mile game. Also it is one of the cheapest "full synthetic" available.
Is this stuff a real synthetic like the old Mobil 1's were or are they one of the fake syns like Castrol was allowed to continue marketing when they won the court case about it?
Does anyone like this Quaker syn?
I havn't noticed any magical qualities about it, but how can I know?
I'm really poor right now and can't afford a proper oil analysis.
The oil I'm using is the Quaker State full syn 5w-20.
Anyone have ANY comment about this oil?

Quaker State syn (Ultimate Durability) is a nice sleeper oil - cheap and will do the job. I will let others with more knowledge comment on its makeup, but I believe it has some Group III along with some PAO. I suppose it still qualifies as a "fake syn", as you put it, in that it's not predominantly Group IV or V (I think). I've used QSUD in the past with no issues, as have many others.

I imagine you'll do great with this oil. It is helpful to let us know your car and driving style. You say QS is recommended - is this a Kia?

Honestly, any new (SN) name-brand oil will likely suit you fine, synthetic or no. Again, have to see your driving style and vehicle.

Last edited:
Quaker State synthetic is a solid oil with a strong add pack.
Use it with confidence.
Don't take my word for it.
Check the results in the UOA section.

It's good stuff. Using it in two cars i service regularly for a friend of mine. I prefer conventional myself but she buys the oil and filters and i do the oc. The Trailblazer has the OLM and is running it out to 13k or so, although i haven't done an uoa on the oil, i see no issues with sludge or any other negatives at this point.

The 5w-30 is dexos1 labeled, so it gets used in my turbo Cruze. It's good for 8000 miles in that engine, which is pretty good for a high-strung little turbo engine running up to 20 PSI of boose at times.

Great oil, great price. There's better stuff out there but Quaker State is a great value.

the mustang likes it. Just changed the last fill at about 7000 miles. Could have gone longer, but I had a nice day off to change the oil, so I went ahead and did it.

For the price, Quaker State Ultimate Durability is good oil. I have had pleasant results (not outstanding, not poor, but pleasant) with it in my SUV.

It is not a fully synthetic oil, but then again, you are not paying $40 for a 5 quart jug.

You can feel safe putting it in your Kia or Hyundai for 6-8k without worry.

202,000 now on wife's Windstar with QSUD. No add between changes. No smoke or noise. Clean as a whistle inside. Have also run 8500 miles (5% OLM) between changes in the Northstar; Blackstone said plenty left. About half the price of M1. What more could I want?

qsud is a pretty good oil for the price.. There are better oils out there but they are also more money...I would pat $20.57 for the 5 quart container but if the price went up i would not use it at all. i bought some when they had the rebate but i did not get my rebate so i brought the oil back.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Originally Posted By: zerosoma
It is not a fully synthetic oil

Are we talking about this oil:
http://www.quakerstate.com/#/motor-oil/ultimate-durability

And are you saying Quaker State UD Full Synthetic is not actually fully synthetic?

Yes and Yes.

It is not synthetic in the same way that AMSoil or Royal Purple are. QS has group III oils in it, the other ones have fully synthetic, higher group oils in them. Most all commercial oils sold in stores are this way - Pennzoil, Mobil, QS, Havoline, Valvoline, Castrol... they are all Group III synthetics (pardon the term).

Only when you get into the $8+ qt bottles of RP and AMSoil are you getting the real thing.

And are you saying Quaker State UD Full Synthetic is not actually fully synthetic?

Yes and Yes.

It is not synthetic in the same way that AMSoil or Royal Purple are. QS has group III oils in it, the other ones have fully synthetic, higher group oils in them. Most all commercial oils sold in stores are this way - Pennzoil, Mobil, QS, Havoline, Valvoline, Castrol... they are all Group III synthetics (pardon the term).

Only when you get into the $8+ qt bottles of RP and AMSoil are you getting the real thing.

These off the shelf Synthetic`s still offer a more or less overkill protection for most uses.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
QUSD is an excellent product featuring very low pour points (-45C) indicating what is probably a stiff dose of PAO....

I agree 100% ^^^^^

Originally Posted By: lexus114
These off the shelf Synthetic`s still offer a more or less overkill protection for most uses.

Yep. There are very few vehicles that "need" more than conventional, much less a high end end PAO or ester oil.

Yes and Yes.

You know not all Amsoil are full synthetic, right?

Originally Posted By: BillyTheKid

Yes and Yes.

You know not all Amsoil are full synthetic, right?

Yes, but there is no QSUD that is full synthetic like these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back