Mobil 1 vs Pennzoil Platinum 10k OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 F150 4.6L 2V, currently 58k miles. The previous oil change was Mobil 1 5w20 (not EP) and I ran for 10k. My driving is 85% or more steady cruise/interstate driving (55-75 MPH). During the previous OCI, I kept a close eye on oil level and visual condition, and no oil was needed for top off during the entire run. The current oil is Pennzoil Platinum 5w20, and 8k into this change, I have had to add a half quart of oil for top off. There has been no difference in my driving habits, or the routes driven. The change/fill procedure and location was the same as before and have always done on each of our 4 vehicles. I am sure there is a "chemical" reason for this, and am looking forward to some of the possible reasons that will be brought forth. No bias on my part to either product, just an innate curiosity. Thanks in advance.
smile.gif

There seems to be a trend (more so with SN) to have some consumption when switching brands and their add packs. I too had some consumption when switching from M1 to PU back to M1. It has since stabilized.

There is no "versus". Pick the cheaper/easier to obtain, and with the right filter, either will easily take you to 10k with your driving routine.

I basically just pick whichever is on sale @ the best price, and filter is at least the MC, or one of the "higher" quality extended drain types (again, if it's on sale). It's not a huge deal for me, as I am under the hood and checking things pretty much weekly, so any need for a top off will be noticed well before it's a problem.

Its not the Pennzoil more than likely the m1 found a way to make gaskets leak, probably the rear main is slowly leaking now because of the synthetic. Dump some good old conventional in and drive it, stay far away from Mobil 1. Might be to late now already though thx to m1 for making another vehicle use oil. No matter what people try to tell you a vehicle should consume no oil. Try a zddp additive maybe that will help the gasket the m1 ruined. Anybody that feels different I don't care, I change oil on 40+ cars a day and by far m1 makes all vehicles use oil, I work at a quick lube for last 5 years so out of anybody I can tell you more horror stories and the truth about synthetic and m1.

I have been doing 10K OCIs with M1 oils for decades with very good results. Never had a reason to try something differant, but Bitogers say PP is very good as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: travlnman
Alrighty then....I will assume that was sarcasm from boosted
smile.gif
if not....yeeaaah.

no sarcasm here. I have more experience than most people on here and ill leave it at that. From my experience though I would run far away from that m1 [censored].

I try not to get too concerned with consumption until two oil changes with the same oil. It has been my personal experience that many times the consumption is much better on the 2nd OCI with the same oil.

Have PP in my Journey right now for its 2nd change and I hope the consumption is better than the first run of this oil as I was not happy with how much is consumed over its 1st OCI.

With that said I personally dont think 1/2 a quart in 8k is any too bad at all but I can see your concern when M1 has zero consumption.

tig1, I too have used M1 in the past with 10k OCI , in 4cyl, 6cyl and V8's . There has been no oil usage, in the past with M1 and it has kept my engines spotless. I pulled the intake on a previous F150 to fix a coolant leak with 175k on the clock, and you could eat off the inside of any part of that engine (if you didn't mind a little 30 weight
smile.gif
). I just go with the name brand sale these days...maybe I should just stick with what works.

Also I've seen brand new silverados come in that a company has a fleet of them with all M1 in them. Guess what 4k later three quarters of their fleet were leaking from the rear main. The company is not using m1 in there trucks any longer, there's something to think about.. ha! Neways good luck and hope your Ford gets better..

Random variation.
Why would you add a half quart when there is no need to top off, at least not according to any OM I've ever seen?
When the oil gets a quart low, add a quart.
Until then, leave it be.
Some engines will go through the first half quart pretty quickly, and then sit a half quart low for many miles.
My old BMW does this.
Anyway, Plat is at least the equal of M1 in the same grades, and some users have reported higher consumption on their first fill of Plat.
I would expect you to see consumption more in line with what you've seen with M1 on subsequent runs of PP.
I think that your current obsevation of higher consumption is not significant and has probably nothing to do with the oil.

Would you ask a plumber about your colon blockage? Then why ask a quick lube tech which oil to use? In this economy any job is a good one but I don't think working at speedy lube exactly makes you an expert on motor oil. For the record I am no expert either.

I've done a few oil changes over the years myself and have to agree with boosted a little. I mean, this stuff works well enough in a Jeep, but in some other cars....

-It's hard to read the dipstick on the Corvettes.
-The low oil pressure light on Ford work trucks seems to stop working properly and doesn't come on sometimes until after 20k miles or more.
-Those Mercedes Benz cars that get an oil change every 60k miles or 2 years whether they need it or not stop generating the squishy black globules and crunchy granules which I assume are an important part of their immune system.

Originally Posted By: travlnman
tig1, I too have used M1 in the past with 10k OCI , in 4cyl, 6cyl and V8's . There has been no oil usage, in the past with M1 and it has kept my engines spotless. I pulled the intake on a previous F150 to fix a coolant leak with 175k on the clock, and you could eat off the inside of any part of that engine (if you didn't mind a little 30 weight
smile.gif
). I just go with the name brand sale these days...maybe I should just stick with what works.

For the record I have used M1 as said for 34 years and never had a leaker. Also I know several folks using M1 in their GM engines, truck and cars and none has had leaking problems. As you, all of my engines have stayed very clean.

Last edited:
It's not in my nature fdcg27...no way I could wait until a whole qt low
smile.gif
too obsessive about it. Like I said, all fluids are checked once a week, and any changes are quickly noticeable. I can accept the random variation theory, I was just curious to see if I had missed something concerning one oil or the other, but apparently not. This truck is about 1yr and 4 months old, I bought it as a leftover last year (March '11) and have put all the miles on it myself (I average about 50k a yr). No leaks anywhere as suggested earlier, and if one developed externally, I would notice it pretty quickly. I am an average or better than average mechanic myself and slightly OCD about preventative maintenance. I will just keep an eye on it, and make any adjustments as necessary. Thanks to all !

tig and cb, I have chosen to use the "ignore this user" option and not view boosted posts. I have been on this sight for years, and the knowledge here is mind boggling. I have no intention of starting a contest between oils (the VS part of my title is misleading I guess) and was meant strictly as an intelligent comparison, not a war, as some would have it. Thanks to all the useful posts out there
smile.gif

I have switched between M1, Kendall GT1 and PP 5w 30 depending which was cheaper at the time in my daughters 2.2l Cobalt. No difference, no consumption, no leaks.

I've been using M1 in all my cars for years. I haven't had to add oil in between changes to any cars with one exception. My 2000 Cavalier 2.4L when I got to 8k or so of the 10k oci, I would need to add maybe 1/2 a quart. But at that point it was pushing 180k on the odometer. My daughter has it now, with 210k on it, and has gone back to Dino oil for it because now the oc cost is coming out of her pocket.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back