very light green tint on spark plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try find out if my truck really having head gasket problem. Follow on the other thread . I pull just 2 plug today and found very light green tint color, I recently running chevron techron fuel inject cleaner with chevron gas. I dont know if this have anything to do with it.

btw the plug I pull out was autolite platium, and the tapered tip is having very tiny green color

Last edited:
Sounds almost like oxidation on copper. The Statue of Liberty is actually copper, the green is the oxidation. Are you sure they aren't Autolite coppers? Or maybe the platinum coating scraped off?

Plenty of copper compounds run from very blue to very green with all sorts of in betweens. Any chance there's water in your fuel picking copper up from the fuel system? I would expect coolant to leave gray, light tan, or even pink deposits before green.

Pull the oxygen sensors and look at those, they will tell the tale, if they have a green tint you are getting coolant into the combustion chambers

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Pull the oxygen sensors and look at those, they will tell the tale, if they have a green tint you are getting coolant into the combustion chambers

Hmm never though of that, see if I can take 1 off
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Isnt the green tint from detergents in the cleaner?

not likely most oil and gas detergents will leave a brownish, cream or white residue if any. Green tinting is almost always is from coolant dye/tint

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc

just get under the truck, spay a light coat of pb plaster and it come right off. I dont see any green, it look normal like every o2 sensor I pull.

I read somewhere when u get green tint, usually it need 1 step colder plug or something, the truck factory plug was iridium plug, preview owner using platium. Im plan on changing plug to ac delco iridium from factory, after I find exactly what happent to my motor, head gasket ...coolant leak.

Not head gasket, I got coolant leak from the small coolant line under the intake manifold. cost $350. but im glad it not head gasket.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Not head gasket, I got coolant leak from the small coolant line under the intake manifold. cost $350. but im glad it not head gasket.

Do you mean the metal line connecting the heads? Thats a 5 minute job.

Coolant leaks in the cyl don't show any green color on the plugs.
They usually just have a very clean combustion chamber from the steam cleaning.

The problem here seems obvious to me. Clearly you somehow got some green Martian soil that wound up in your combustion chamber, possibly dust off a stray NASA lunar rover that fell back to Earth or somethin'...

Either that or this... "Erosion, Corrosion and Oxidation:
The material of the electrodes has oxidized, and when the oxidation is heavy it will be green on the surface. The surface of the electrodes are also fretted and rough. Also caused by Martian soil contamination."
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

Maybe I'm wrong but...
Today's gasoline is green! I think they put a green dye in it to identify it. I've noticed this green tint for many years now. It may identify gas with 10% ethanol or something because the only "pink" gas (like the old days) I've seen in the last 10 years is the "ethanol free" I bought for my lawn equipment. I have to drive 80 miles round trip to get it.
Pour some gas in a clear container and you'll see a green tinge.
Maybe this green dye is what is coloring your plugs.
I've noticed this green tint to the porcelain on the center electrode insulator for many years. I've been thinking for years that it is this dye I'm talking about.
Can someone in the know set me straight on this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back