Auto-RX results in tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this isn't the complete analysis but at least an update.

I now have the full 1500 miles on my tranny treatment and will be changing the fluid really soon-just got out of the hospital from surgery so I'm not quite feeling up to it yet.

Anyway, my truck, 2000 Excursion 4x4 with the big V-10, ran about 500 or so miles of the treatment in around town driving and the rest was highway miles. To be exact, it went 300 in town, 550 highway, 100 in town and then 550 highway again. I planned the RX treatment around a trip to south Florida so that I could get the tranny into all RPM ranges that it should see.

The results right now, without changing the oil yet are not that exciting. There has been no change to the shudder that is normally associated with these trannies when shifting between 3 and 4. Didn't figure there would be a difference though. What I did notice though was a bad thing. On the way down on the trip when we would go up a hill, at 80MPH on cruise control, it would go just fine. On the way back on the very same hills at the same speed it downshifted! When an tranny does this it is usually because the engine does not have the power to pull the vehicle in that gear. I've already done the ARX in the engine and it's got Amsoil synth in it so that shouldn't be a problem...esp considering it's a 6.8L engine that's running 2700RPM at 80MPH with 4.30 gears. Considering that I just don't think it's the engine.

So, why then did my tranny want to downshift? It's a bit worrisome to me because at that speed the engine revs up to almost 4G's in 3rd! I know the V-10 can handle that but I don't have to like it.
frown.gif

Any ideas, comments etc?

Also, I'm sure the results will change a bit when I switch the tranny over to Amsoil universal AT fluid. When I do this I'm also going to add a cooler. Hmmm...maybe not....just thought of something but it's off topic. I think I'll post it in the general section.

Ok, that's it for now. Lemme know what you guys think.

Mikie

Mikie, hope the recovery goes well. Don't like hospitals one bit.

I don't know your trans but automatic downshifting is prompted by several things. Throttle position, load, rpm, etc. Part of the equation is readings from internal pressure sensors. The treatment may have affected viscosity or friction enough to affect those pressures and therefore your shift points. You might want to email Frank about this & see if he's had similar reports.

If you have a shudder the fluid's lubricity is probably damaged. The treatment won't fix that. I bet it'll go away when you flush/refill.

Use the best fluid you can find and make it last by installing a trans cooler, be it additional, or a larger replacement. Cool trans fluid works and lasts much better, which is good after shelling out $$/quart.

David

Your problem will be gone once you drain the liquified crud suspended in your transmission fluid out of your transmission ( your symtons say it's very dirty)Post again after
you have T-Tec or equivalent drained the unit.If
you use this method you can see what is coming out.And you clean out torque converter. You will be pleased with final results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back