2008 Toyota Sienna M1 0w30 SN 10,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
This sample has about 7,000 miles of highway driving and the balance is short trip running around town. Oil is M1 0w-30 SN/GF-5, no make-up oil added.

Code:

OIL M1-0w30 M1-0w30

MILES IN USE 11k 10k

MILES 50k 60k

SAMPLE TAKEN 09/25/2011 05/01/2012

ALUMINUM 4 6

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 12 16

COPPER 2 2

LEAD 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 83 91

CALCIUM 1300 1571

MAGNESIUM 667 1005

PHOSPHORUS 531 724

ZINC 654 858

SODIUM 2 9

POTASSIUM 1 1

Silicon 15 17

WATER 0% 0%

Antifreeze N N

Fuel Dilution N N

Viscosity 9.97 9.48

SAE ISO 30 30

Sulfur 12 15

Oxidation 12 0

Nitration 23 25

Wayne

Last edited:
Still looks good, even though this one has 1k less on it.

Still amazes me how highway driving keeps the oil in much better shape. Wife's current fill of mostly city at around 7k is not going to look near as good...

My Hyundai loves that oil
( or so she said )
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Blaze
I currrently have this oil in my Ranger.. since last fall. Can I use 0-30w year round?

Of course. I use M1 0-20 year round.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Still looks good, even though this one has 1k less on it.

Still amazes me how highway driving keeps the oil in much better shape.

Why is that hard to believe? Steady state driving with a fully warmed up engine means the engine has almost no wear at all during that time. It's when the engine is cold and you're driving in the city (or driving it hard) that the oil takes all the beating.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Zero oxidation? Is that a typo?

Nope - that's what the report (Schaeffers) says...

Wayne

Thanks for posting this. I am running this oil in my truck and my Avalon. I sure hope my results are this good. Congrats on a great report.

Thanks for this UOA. Looking great.

Your engine seems to like the slightly higher viscosity of 10W-30 better as far as wear is concerned. Perhaps sometime give the M1 0W-40 a UOA try for the fun of it.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Zero oxidation? Is that a typo?

Nope - that's what the report (Schaeffers) says...

Wayne

If you see a out of line number you should immediately request a retest. They have the sample hanging around for a few days usually. If it was zero on the sheet of paper from Schaeffers they entered it wrong. Or something in their test equip. is broke. They obviously did not look at the report for a sanity check. Really need the TBN also.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Your engine seems to like the slightly higher viscosity of 10W-30 better as far as wear is concerned. Perhaps sometime give the M1 0W-40 a UOA try for the fun of it.

I don't understand the comment concerning the wear differance you stated.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

I don't see 10w30 in his report, I see two runs on M1 0w30. The OP just typed them slightly differently. "M10w30" in one column and "M1-0w30" in the other. 10w30 would look like "M110w30" or "M1-10w30"

Maybe the OP can clarify, but I'm guessing both UOAs are for M1 AFE 0w30.

Ha, and ironically the 'better looking' UOA seems to have the weaker add-pack as far as the sample itself goes. I'm guessing both SN M1 0w-30. Looks good.

However, it is true having TBN included for the miles is probably a VERY good idea, and I also don't buy 0 oxidation.

I see. They are both M1 0W-30 and both SN.

Since the additive numbers are so grossly different between the two samples, there seems to be a lot of error in the measurements by the lab. You wouldn't see that much difference between two samples of the exactly the same oil. The same error argument would then also go for the wear metals. It looks like either the first one underestimated or the second one overestimated the concentrations by a large amount.

I would suggest switching to Blackstone or some other lab next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back