2007 Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2007 Camry 2.4 4 cyl is suddenly starting to use some oil. Car has 92,000 miles, oil changes at 5000 mile intervals using mostly Castrol GTX 5W20 or Mobil 5000 5W20. At about the 3500 mile mark in the oil change intervals, would need 1/2 quart to top up. At last December's oil change, I decided to use Mobil 1 0W20. Added 1/2 quart at 2000 and again at 4000 mile marks to top up for a total of 1 quart over the course of the 5000 mile interval. I attributed this to it being a thinner oil. I am now 4000 miles into the next oil change using Valvoline 5W20 AC and have had to top up 3 times with a 1/2 quart for a total of 1 1/2 quarts so far. I have checked and cannot find any leaks and there is no oil on the ground. Has anybody else had this happen or know what could be the cause? Thanks in advance.

I don't know if it has one. I've looked online at some parts places and they don't list one.

Last edited:
The PCV goes into the valve cover, pointing towards the firewall with a hose coming out of it.

Get a new one at the Toyota dealership, they're like $3.

See if that helps with consumption.

Those engines are known to munch on oil. I have the same engine in my 06 Scion tC and go through 3 quarts of oil every 10k OCI.

My mother's engine was consuming at 25,000 miles, so it was traded in for a CRV. With 5w-30 in it's belly, the 2.4 consumed the least in 6 months. It was a stretch to get 30mph with the cruise on in the Camry, driving all highway miles.

Bad engine, thanks in part IMHO to the VVT-i. The valves were noisy to say the least. With a belt, I bet it would have been much quieter.

90k is already a significant amount of miles, so you are likely seeing the signs of normal wear. There probably is not much you can do aside from trying a thicker oil.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
90k is already a significant amount of miles, so you are likely seeing the signs of normal wear. There probably is not much you can do aside from trying a thicker oil.

At 90k? I would only expect oil use if it is leaking or has been beat on and neglected.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

At 90k? I would only expect oil use if it is leaking or has been beat on and neglected.

Yes, think about it....90k is mid-life for most cars. Sure, many of us would like to believe that cars should last 200k+, but that is probably not what most manufacturers had in mind when these vehicles were designed.

I had my 07 Camry Hybrid on strict 5k mile oil changes; it always burned better than a quart during the interval; I never added any oil between changes.

wow - my youngest drives and older (98) Camry. Between oil changes, it doesn't use enough to add any oil. It has been reliable, not any issues in the about 6 years he been driving it.

My 2.4 doesn't use any, and I tow with it. I dunno. But normal wear wouldn't suddenly increase consumption. A PCV that's stuck would.

Changed oil on 6/28/12 with Valvoline AC 5W20 and replaced pcv valve with new Toyota pcv. We'll see what happens. There was no sign of an oil leak.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Yes, think about it....90k is mid-life for most cars. Sure, many of us would like to believe that cars should last 200k+, but that is probably not what most manufacturers had in mind when these vehicles were designed.

Not to be smart, but are you saying that it`s just by chance that they last to 200k?

Originally Posted By: Frank D
Changed oil on 6/28/12 with Valvoline AC 5W20 and replaced pcv valve with new Toyota pcv. We'll see what happens. There was no sign of an oil leak.

What is Valvoline AC?

Originally Posted By: Frank D
Valvoline All Climate or Valvoline WB (white bottle).

Oh....
grin.gif

IMO if you can't get a solid 200K out of your run of the mill Toyo or Honda---something is not right.
I fully expect to get 250K from my 05 4cyl Accord. Am at 172K w/o issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back