Lexus IS350 ATF Fluid..never have to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was reading that my 2008 IS350

has a sealed auto transmission...so I read that that you will never need to change the trans fluid for the life of the car..

well that got my kinda worried, and turned here...

seeing i cant to do regular atf fluid changes, what else could I do to ensure that auto trans will be healthy through out the years i own this car?

thanks

Is it a "dealer only" change? My FX4 does not have a dipstick and seems to be a virtual pain in the nether regions to change--if not nigh impossible. Since I am under warranty, I just let Ford change it.

Perhaps you should check with the dealer?

It's pretty easy if you have Techstream - you just need to monitor the fluid temp to check the fluid level.

On the Prius I've done two drain and refills in the last 35k.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It's pretty easy if you have Techstream - you just need to monitor the fluid temp to check the fluid level.

On the Prius I've done two drain and refills in the last 35k.

Wrong dude, just because it is easy on the prius doesn't means it is easy on the IS.

The temperature part is easy, you don't even need techstream for that, there's a way to shift the lever around to get it into a mode that tells you whether the trans is in the right temperature or not.

The hard part is you will not drain more than 1-2 quarts out when the whole system is 7 or so quarts. Unless you take out the pan, drain the converter and the valve body, it is not a very effective job.

Since the tranny is coolant cooled rather than radiator cooled, there is no line you can tap to flush.

Last edited:
PandaBear, I've been trying to find info on this. The parts diagram of my U660E transmission shows the inner weir tube as removable. It has its own part number. In other words, you remove the bottom plug, then the inner tube to drain the transmission pan. Have you tried to remove it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Since the tranny is coolant cooled rather than radiator cooled, there is no line you can tap to flush.

On page 113 it shows that both coolant and ATF run in and out of the ATF warmer:

http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/pdf/A760E_and_A760F_Automatic.pdf

So, there should be a way of tapping into the lines at that location for a flush.

EDIT: BG has a method for flushing these transmissions. Take a look at their bulletin on this issue:

http://www.kansasbg.com/2012 Tech Tips/Transmission Service/techtip313.pdf

Last edited:
The tranny in my car is also "sealed". There is a drain bolt, but the plug where you fill up the tranny is just above that drain bolt, so obviously you need a machine to pump it in.

I think its the auto makers way of making the owner take it into a proper dealership than to those places where they hook a machine with god-knows-what-fluid and "flush" the transmission and end up messing it up.

Since the lexus is 350 is a rich-mans camry, the fluid in there still has to be changed, but at the dealership.

In my pre-BITOG days I had a 1985 Chevy Citation that went over 200,000 miles without a transaxle fluid change. It ran perfectly until the guy I sold it to ran it out of oil. I look back in dismay now, but I didn't know any better back then.

In light of the fact that the transmission in that car was a simple 3-speed that wasn't under much stress, I maintain that there's no such thing as "filled for life" with today's 5 and 6-speed automatics crammed into smaller packages. Perhaps "filled for longer" might be valid, but I would not try going more than 60,000 miles without a fluid change.

Have you tried a Haynes or Chilton's manual? The Equinox supposidly didnt have a drain or fill plug and indeed has both. Just did a couple drain and fills over the past month (only 3 quarts come out a drain) and now its full of love and maxlife :p

Also a bottle of lubeguard....love that stuff

Originally Posted By: Tones
PandaBear, I've been trying to find info on this. The parts diagram of my U660E transmission shows the inner weir tube as removable. It has its own part number. In other words, you remove the bottom plug, then the inner tube to drain the transmission pan. Have you tried to remove it?

Like I said it is doable at home but you will not get much out of it due to the small sump. Critic's suggestion of going to a dealer (or mechanics) with the BG is a good one, as you can actually flush it with a machine and special adapter. Not sure how much it would cost and how much fluid you will end up wasting however.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Cant do a trans cooler line flush?

I was thinking the same. What would prevent you from doing this in this vehicle's setup?

The ATF never go out of the tranny and into the radiator, but instead the coolant flow into the tranny to cool / warm it as needed. So you can't do a cooler line flush.

Quote:
has a sealed auto transmission...so I read that that you will never need to change the trans fluid for the life of the car..
Must be a typo...the fluid is good for the life of the transmission.
lol.gif

Modern ATFs are good for 100,000 miles. If you plan on owning this car for more than that, there must be a way to drain and refill the transmission even if it involves pumping the fluid in. Periodic drains and refills will keep the fluid in good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back