Costco's new high detergent gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been filling up there for years due to being the cheapest and the fact they go through a ton of gas. Now it seems like there are on average 5-8c higher than elsewhere.

I wouldn't want THAT much additives in the fuel. The required minimum gets the job done for the most part. Top Tier gas goes a step higher to insure EVEN BETTER cleanliness.

From what shell reports, its enough to keep valves spotless. Is anymore really necessary?

the minimum amount is really low. So low that when it was mandated most name brand gas stations reduced their additives by over 50%, IIRC

also the minimum amount was designed for 1980's engines not modern ones.

Originally Posted By: Rand
the minimum amount is really low. So low that when it was mandated most name brand gas stations reduced their additives by over 50%, IIRC

TWO excellent points. Today's modern engines REQUIRE a much cleaner environment to operate efficiently.

I'd think modern engines, with modern ECU's would burn more cleanly, requiring less additive, if anything. I don't really know; just some conjecture.

Costco gas is great. I've been buying both premium and regular for years and even when I travel and never had an issue in any of my vehicles. They are always competitive plus you get a 3% rebate on your Am Ex card. Another thing I like is that my Costco has always maintained the traditional $0.20 spread while others are gouging on premium. I love Costco and will continue to go out of my way to patronize them. Oh yeah, they also sell Mobile 1 for $4.35/qt. Best retailer in the business.

Not around here, never more than the car ahead when you pull in. They are not that cheap in comparison. Usually 2 or 3¢. Rarely 5¢. The S.O. is a member and we don't go out of our way to go there. But if we are there, different story

Originally Posted By: Rand

Great post!

Originally Posted By: Artem
I wouldn't want THAT much additives in the fuel. The required minimum gets the job done for the most part. Top Tier gas goes a step higher to insure EVEN BETTER cleanliness.

From what shell reports, its enough to keep valves spotless. Is anymore really necessary?

Top Tier is 5 times higher. It was all created by another Gov mess-up: they started to mandate the minimum, and it was 5 times lower than what was already in the gas from reputable merchants. So, all the corner cutters rejoiced: they could get away with one fifth of the norm. Imagine the savings, if you take into account the mass scale. Top Tier is nothing more than good old gas.
Although we have a sprinkle of vodka in it nowadays, and that is a whole different issue.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How late is Costco's gas station open?

In my area, 9:30

The gas station has longer hours than the store. Mine opens at 6:30am.

I simply use my American Express card to pay for the gas.

Costco gas, while it is not significantly cheaper in my area, has done a nice job with the new detergent additives. My cars run better on it than any gas vendor we have readily available in the area.

My regret is that I don't live closer to a Costco (about 28 miles round trip.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back