Changing differential fluid using a suction gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any downside to changing the differential fluid using a suction gun (on differentials without a drain plug), other than not being able to examine and clean the internals if one removed the cover, obviously? I'd imagine some small amount of fluid may be left over in the differential, but this shouldn't be an issue I believe.

I'd say yes, there is a downside and it's just what you pointed out. Examining the internals, especially on an LSD type rear end, can be beneficial.

It really isn't that hard to drain a differential. You're not dealing with a large volume of fluid.

I just did this and am happy to awnser you question,.

It has been explained to me the reason they dont put drain plugs on differentials is they want you to remove the inspection cover and have a look, a little cleaning while its off couldnt hurt either..

use a suction hose ? sure you could but how would you know if any cleaning needs done ? and obviously your not going to get all the old fluid out..

the job of removing the cover, cleaning, and replacing and refilling is super easy..

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1

It has been explained to me the reason they dont put drain plugs on differentials is they want you to remove the inspection cover and have a look, a little cleaning while its off couldnt hurt either..

The reason they don't put drain plugs in is to save cost, nothing else. All BMW's and most imported cars have a drain plug on the bottom of the diff, to facilitate easy draining of the fluid and and sediment. If the fluid id changed on a regular basis there should be nothing to clean, and your gear teeth should look like new.

My Ford manual says the rear diff fluid is a lifetime fill and doesn't need to be changed....What [censored]!

I just run the car awhile and then use a drill-pump to remove the oil and whatever gunk is still floating in it. i only open them if fill plug is frozen or if the unit is broken.

As i said "As its been explained to me" I didnt put my sole opinion in my reply, just what i had been told by a local tech. My two cents ??? Id much prefer a drain plug.. I only Think you need to pull the cover myself is if its been submerged and water has entered, then a full cleaning is needed.

the job of removing the cover, cleaning, and replacing and refilling is super easy..

Getting the smell of gear oil out of your hair isn't!

My Pathfinder (and most, if not all, Nissan vehicles) have a drain plug on differentials, but my buddy's 2005 2WD Ranger is in need of a fluid change and there is only a fill plug, which is why I am asking whether a change using a suction gun would be suitable. Records indicate the fluid has been changed shortly after he purchased the truck (about 35k miles ago), so I can't imagine things would be excessively dirty. Should we just go ahead and change it using a suction gun to evacuate the old fluid?

Originally Posted By: BubbaFL

Getting the smell of gear oil out of your hair isn't!

zero arguement from me on this... AMEN

completely up to your friend, no biggie if you use a suction hose and just attempt to get most of it out, and as stated before, its fairly easy to just pull the cover and dump it too.. its more a matter of how mechanically inclined you are, pulling the cover is hosnest to goodness a easy job, but so is pulling a fill plug and just sucking most of the old out as well...

I would suction it out right after a run. The most particulates will be in suspension then.
But you will leave some sediment in the bottom, and not get all the oil lube out.
Look at the gears? Who knows how to set up rear ends, and has the tools anyways? Not your average civilian, that's for sure!

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Look at the gears? Who knows how to set up rear ends, and has the tools anyways? Not your average civilian, that's for sure!

Unless I saw a broken tooth, I wouldn't have a clue, and it's not like I could fix that anyhow.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Unless I saw a broken tooth, I wouldn't have a clue, and it's not like I could fix that anyhow.

On my Nitro, the front Diff has a drain, the rear does not.
I change them both annually and use a suction gun for the rear Diff.

It does the job.

In Fact before I went and spent the money on the DIY materials I phoned around for pricing on getting the job done. First the prices quoted were outrageous, and second, guess what, your dreaming if you think they crack it open....they suction it out as well.

Last edited:
I bought an Air Vac pump at Tractor supply and use it for diffs, tranny's you name it. Best $50 I ever spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back