Fram Tough Guard or Purolator Pureone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both have very high filtration, but the Fram is one of the more restrictive filters flow wise out there whereas the PureOne is one of the best. And the interior construction of the PureOne is much stouter as well, given that the PureOne usually costs a bit less also the contest is over in my mind.

Nothing "wrong" with the Toughgard I'd use one if it came from a special but it's not a great value if you're just going to go buy a filter. I've never had a "problem" with either but greatly prefer the PureOne.

Fram has the best marketing. But not the best filters. Given those two choices, I'd go with a PureOne.

But a Bosch D+ of M1 would even be better. Order a couple on Amazon for free shipping.

Depends on your OCI-if you are only running 3-5000 miles, then the Fram would work-but the Pure One is better, and the Purolator Classic and clones (Quaker State, Pennzoil, ProLine) made by Purolator/Bosch would be good too for less money. If you plan on going for 10K+-then Bosch Distance Plus, Fram Xtended Guard/Ultra, Mobil 1, and Royal Purple filters are the way to go.

Matter of preference, I've had success with P1 and prefer it's interior construction to that of the TG.

And this month at Advance, 2 P1's for $10 in store, decent.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Both have very high filtration, but the Fram is one of the more restrictive filters flow wise out there whereas the PureOne is one of the best. And the interior construction of the PureOne is much stouter as well, given that the PureOne usually costs a bit less also the contest is over in my mind.

Nothing "wrong" with the Toughgard I'd use one if it came from a special but it's not a great value if you're just going to go buy a filter. I've never had a "problem" with either but greatly prefer the PureOne.

Can you provide data that shows the TG being more restrictive than a P1? Would like to see that, curious.

Originally Posted By: DirtRacer53
I drive a 2005 Silverado with the 4.3 v6 and was wondering what everyone's exp. with the filters were.

I would substitute the Fram TG with the Fram XG

P1 - $6.99
XG - $8.97

For $2 more you get the Fram Xtended Guard. Best filter they make. Metal end caps. 10k extended drain, 2x dirt capacity, synthetic media. And the options I missed going back to a Puro classic - the sure grip and the rock hard shell.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Can you provide data that shows the TG being more restrictive than a P1? Would like to see that, curious.

An old chart made up by ACDelco ... but you can see the FRAM (gray line) is more restrictive than the PureOne (blue line).

OilFilterFlowvsPSID.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

An old chart made up by ACDelco ... but you can see the FRAM (gray line) is more restrictive than the PureOne (blue line).

OilFilterFlowvsPSID.jpg

Thank you! Maybe it was true at the time, but I have a hard time with data from one competitor showing the other competitors in a negative light..

Yeah its old, the Fram Doubleguard was discontinued long ago. Most of the independent filter tests are dated too. Filters change, get updates like any product over time.

Went surfing for new tests, found this independent test dated 2011. Have a look.
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

Quote:
....Went surfing for new tests, found this independent test dated 2011. Have a look.

Results of that home filter test have previously been pretty much discredited here. It's been pointed out that several of the filters having the same media showed very different patch results. Also filters have better rated efficiency as rated by ISO testing prtocedures showed worse 'home patch test' results than others with lower ISO testing rated efficiency. I'll believe ISO testing done in controlled conditions over some guys patch test in his basement. Best thing about that home test, the dissection pics.

As for the graph, not sure what AC Delco would have to gain by showing the TG with high restriction and the Pure One being low? The latter of which is confirmed by Super Busa's much posted email. If not for Amsoil recent test of oem filters, we wouldn't know that the FL820S and some others are ~92-94% at 20um.

And while the list P1 price may be $6.99, they can always be found for less than $6 at KMart and Amazon. And, are frequently on sale at AAP for $5 or less as they are currently. For an average 7500-8k oci the P1 is a solid choice.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
....Went surfing for new tests, found this independent test dated 2011. Have a look.

Results of that home filter test have previously been pretty much discredited here. It's been pointed out that several of the filters having the same media showed very different patch results. Also filters have better rated efficiency as rated by ISO testing prtocedures showed worse 'home patch test' results than others with lower ISO testing rated efficiency. I'll believe ISO testing done in controlled conditions over some guys patch test in his basement. Best thing about that home test, the dissection pics.

As for the graph, not sure what AC Delco would have to gain by showing the TG with high restriction and the Pure One being low? The latter of which is confirmed by Super Busa's much posted email. If not for Amsoil recent test of oem filters, we wouldn't know that the FL820S and some others are ~92-94% at 20um.

And while the list P1 price may be $6.99, they can always be found for less than $6 at KMart and Amazon. And, are frequently on sale at AAP for $5 or less as they are currently. For an average 7500-8k oci the P1 is a solid choice.

Yeah, opinion or data, both get discredited on here. Only threads that dont end inconclusively are the ones with the most convincing litigators
smirk.gif

Of course AC Delco has something to gain by discrediting a competitor. Sales. If you cant beat them, knock them down, spread a false rumor. Find the one thing you do better than them and twist it. Like claiming great flow, when in fact the great flow is due to poor filtration. All these tactics are page one of the saleman's bible.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, just making some points. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, opinion or data, both get discredited on here. Only threads that dont end inconclusively are the ones with the most convincing litigators
smirk.gif

Of course AC Delco has something to gain by discrediting a competitor. Sales. If you cant beat them, knock them down, spread a false rumor. Find the one thing you do better than them and twist it. Like claiming great flow, when in fact the great flow is due to poor filtration. All these tactics are page one of the saleman's bible.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, just making some points. Thanks for the info.

If anyone can't believe some of the test results posted up by some of the manufactures, I've got a contact and address of a test lab that will independently test oil filters for you per ISO standards ... it only cost $15,000 per filter to test.
lol.gif

Have to keep in mind that these days if manufactures advertise false date about another manufacture's product, that those other manufactures have lawyers waiting to file lawsuits if needed against such false claims.

I would like to get to a 5-7000 oci for my engine. I do have an oil life monitor. I switched to synthetic oil earlier this year (QSUD 5w-30 ,ACdelco pf47e), and noticed that I can go longer on changes based on my olm.

P1 is going to win out if you haven't realized. I think a more fair comparison would be TG to Puro Classic. P1 is a great filter.

If your engine is clean, you can get by with a filter not rated for extended intervals for that OCI.

I am troubled by the looks of paper medias in filter autopsy pics. Similar to wet cardboard. Maybe a loss of strength causes a tear or a hole under pressure? Why do they use synthetic media on extended media filters? Never seen a conclusive answer to that. Just statements like "synthetic media for synthetic oil" which I'm not bought in to (yet) But there has to be a valid reason manufacturers change media for extended drains, otherwise why go through the cost developing and manufacturing it?

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
P1 is going to win out if you haven't realized. I think a more fair comparison would be TG to Puro Classic. P1 is a great filter.

Think he's comparing efficiency.

P1 - 99.9
TG - 99
Classic - 97.5

I use the classic, because I don't think 2% matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back