Looking at a 2002 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
for my new daily driver.

Its an EX sedan with 104,000 miles and 5 speed manual. Its listed at $7990 at a Honda dealership. Carfax is clean except for a minor rear collision 5 years ago.

Are these timing belt or chain?
Any problems with the manual transmission?

Anybody have any experience with these? I would appreciate some facts and opinions. Just about everyone in my family has owned a Honda at one time or another and all were highly commended.

Thanks to all

It's priced a bit high. There's a bunch selling near me for around $6k. The manual tranny in these are pretty much solid though.

Personally, I would look into an 04' and later. Because it was redesigned in 03' and by 04' they got most of the first year kinks worked out.

Last edited:
It's a timing belt and that is expensive.

I've had a 2001 and a 2006. The 2003 is the same generation as the 2006. I'd highly recommend trying to find an 03 or newer at that price. The 4cyl 03+ has a timing chain, more power, better mileage and the car is a bit larger as well. Wouldn't have sold the 01 but it had two doors and we started having kids. Wouldn't have sold the 06 but couldn't fit the third in there. They are great cars, but not 8 grand after a decade great.

That is too much for that car. I gave $3500 for my 153K miles 02 Accord 3 years ago that now has 228K miles. Best car I have ever owned and it runs as good as the day I bought it, plus it hasn't seen the shop in my 3 years.

We sold our '01 Accord Coupe I4 auto for around $5K last year. It had 105K miles.

IIRC, we paid $900 for T-belt/water pump + lower control arms.

Sheesh, talk about high prices on some of these used cars. My 530i is worth less than that despite having fewer miles. The Accord will statistically be more reliable though.

$8k for a 10-year old Accord??? Yikes!

Considering you can probably get a brand-new compact for about double that, and get better mileage and features as well....

Geeeze.....

The price is fine I haven't even haggled yet.

Used car prices are insane right now, everyone saying I could get more car for less money is full of it and hasn't seen what is actually out there. Maybe across the country somewhere there is a better deal but I am not traveling the country for the best deal.

This car is actually just what I was looking for. Midsize 4 door, 4 cyl with a manual for less than $9000. Not a lot of those around.

I'll be trading the Fusion and paying cash for the Honda. This is one of the few dealers that will pay me fair for the Fusion so, not a lot of option for shopping around.

Solid car, although yes a tad much.
I prefer that body style to the later ones and I'd easily run that car as my DD.

Timing belt is the only issue.

My family has had a few '98-02 Accords. They never had any 5spd models unfortunately.

I think '98 - '05 were some questionable years for the Honda Accord.

'98-02 cars had issues with the engine blocks being too porous and depending on the situation, would either leak coolant into the oil, or oil into the coolant. This is a well known issue with the '98-02 range of 4 cylinder cars and is widely reported on other sites. In addition, '98-02 V6 cars have very poor reliability on their automatic transmission. I know this is not an issue for you in this case but, keep an eye out for it just in case you were thinking of a V6 model.

Starting in 2003 Honda introduced the K series engine which has a timing chain. However, 2003-2005 model year Accords all had issues with the camshafts galling and having severe amounts of wear. This was fixed in the 2006 update of the Accord.

You're trading a brand-new V-6 Fusion for an overpriced 10-year old Accord?

So, you've taken the depreciation hit on the Fusion, and now you're going to lose MORE money by over paying for a an unknown car that is a decade older?

I really think you should re-think this...this is not a smart move, anyone here will tell you that!

Three years ago when I was cr shopping, I came across a 2002 for $8000 and a 2003 loaded EX V6 coupe for $9500. And I thought they were overpriced back then. There's no way that car is worth anywhere close to $8000.

That's way to much, its a $3500 car. I know used car prices are nuts right now, I'd try to avoid buying one if you could.

Its still a 10 year old car!

You would be far better served by keeping your late model car and getting your money out of it. Drive it for another 10-12 years and let the used car market sort itself out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stranger706

I'll be trading the Fusion and paying cash for the Honda. This is one of the few dealers that will pay me fair for the Fusion so, not a lot of option for shopping around.

then sell them your Fusion and go buy car from a private seller for far less $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back