Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle:
2006 Scion tC

Oil:
Amsoil AZO 0W30

Oil additives:
None

Make up oil added: Three (3) quarts was added total with the last half a quart added about 1,300 miles before sampling.

Engine oil capacity:

Oil filter:
TINY Mobil 1 (much smaller then the OEM filter)

Air filter:
Amsoil EA cone air filter installed halfway through the interval.

USE: Mostly highway/city @ 70/30. The wife does roughly 50 miles daily round trip to work and back and i beat on it when she gets home while i do my errands, ranking up another 50 miles or so while bouncing off the rev limiter, so the miles rack up quick.

I changed the oil because i ran out of top off AZO (i originally wanted to extend to 12k) and didn't want to add anything else in to throw off the results. I was happy with 10k anyways and wanted to see how the oil held up. I think it did very well and could have went much longer if i had the balls for it.
grin2.gif

AZO10217mileUOA.jpg

Code:

OIL AZO 0w30

MILES IN USE 10,217 miles

MILES 94,441

SAMPLE TAKEN 6/26/2012

Universal Average

ALUMINUM 4 3

CHROMIUM 3 0

IRON 19 15

COPPER 1 2

LEAD 1 2

TIN 2 0

MOLYBDENUM 135 83

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 1 1

BORON 64 43

SILICON 22 18

SODIUM 5 40

CALCIUM 3712 2370

MAGNESIUM 17 82

PHOSPHORUS 697 712

ZINC 802 833

BARIUM 0 0

Values Should Be*

SUS VIS 210ºF 60.5 59-68

cSt @ 212ºF 10.35 9.9-12.7

FLASHPOINT ºF 425 >385

Fuel %
Antifreeze 0 0.0

WATER 0
INSOLUBLES 0.3
TBN 4.1

TAN 4.4

Lets not forget the newly installed magnetic drain plug collecting quite a bit of metallic bits. This is by far the most i've ever seen from personal experience.

IMG_0292-1.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

I refilled with Valvoline Nextgen conventional and a Mobil 1 oil filter. Total cost for the oil change = under $10. Can't complain. Will all the recent dino vs synthetic oil debates, i wanted to try my luck with conventional oils again.

Thoughts and comments are welcomed.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
3 quarts makeup in 10K? I'd use conventional also.

I think the 3 QTs makeup oil really skewed the UOA. Why so much? Its not an old car.

The TBN was certainly pushed up by the makeup oil.

But the AZO is still a great oil.

I might consider dino in the engine.

Thats the same engine I have. Noticed you suddenly started burning a fair amount of oil. By suddenly, I mean over the course of 30k miles you went from nothing for 5k, to a quart per 3k. My high miles 2azfe is slightly better at 1qt every 5k. Has bad valve seals, blue puff of smoke.

Your replacing all but a quart in the interval, not sure what that does to the readings. Surely dilutes them for the better. But blackstone makes no mention of sample dilution due to top offs.

Whats nice about UOA's is you can see trends. Although the UOA looks good, as you extended the intervals, the oil consumption increased dramatically. Maybe the topoffs are masking something in the results, maybe she's coking, getting dirty. Somethings going on.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I think the 3 QTs makeup oil really skewed the UOA. Why so much? Its not an old car.

The TBN was certainly pushed up by the makeup oil.

But the AZO is still a great oil.

I might consider dino in the engine.

The oil consumption took a spike when I put in 0w30 oil. It was decent prior to that with 5w30 synthetic as per the very first two UOA's.

I'll see how the 5w30 dino oil consumes in the next few intervals and let you guys know.

From everything that I've seen online, these engines are known to burn oil.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Thats the same engine I have. Noticed you suddenly started burning a fair amount of oil. By suddenly, I mean over the course of 30k miles you went from nothing for 5k, to a quart per 3k. My high miles 2azfe is slightly better at 1qt every 5k. Has bad valve seals, blue puff of smoke.

Your replacing all but a quart in the interval, not sure what that does to the readings. Surely dilutes them for the better. But blackstone makes no mention of sample dilution due to top offs.

They never say anything about makeup oil amounts. They assume its normal and part of life and suggest an OCI based on that. It makes sense to me but I like changing oil too much to let it be in the block for too long.

Originally Posted By: Artem

They never say anything about makeup oil amounts. They assume its normal and part of life and suggest an OCI based on that. It makes sense to me but I like changing oil too much to let it be in the block for too long.

If you really like changing oil, you should get a diesel pickup where the change is several gallons, not several QTs.

I like changing oil too.
thumbsup2.gif

Ok, couple things:

Looks like 5w-30 is the ticket over the 0w-30, due to that consumption. I would run a strong add pack like the Amsoil, but you may want to consider a run of a thicker in-grade or HM oil.

You may also want to consider including a quart or two of quality 10w-30 or 5w-40 to your 5w-30, especially living in Florida. I think the engine would benefit with the additional film strength and consumption most likely would be reduced.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
What's the AZO's starting TAN? Each of your intervals looks high, at least compared to my Dyson UOA.

3.6 TAN if I remember correctly. I posted a VOA on AZO last year when it first came out.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I like changing oil too.
thumbsup2.gif

Ok, couple things:

Looks like 5w-30 is the ticket over the 0w-30, due to that consumption. I would run a strong add pack like the Amsoil, but you may want to consider a run of a thicker in-grade or HM oil.

You may also want to consider including a quart or two of quality 10w-30 or 5w-40 to your 5w-30, especially living in Florida. I think the engine would benefit with the additional film strength and consumption most likely would be reduced.

Thoughts?

I put in 5w30 Valvoline NextGen conventional. I want to see how it holds up to my abusive driving style as well as how consumption will be effected by it.

I've got so much oil stocked up from raiding Kmart and all the various good oil deals lately that I just don't see a reason to buy and use Amsoil, as much as I like it, at least not in the tC. My Civic will keep using Amsoil though as I like the results I've been seeing with it.

That's right, you did the raiding...
lol.gif

Fair enough.
thumbsup2.gif
If the consumption continues, consider going thicker or a HM for a change or two(?).

The oil consumption took a spike when I put in 0w30 oil. It was decent prior to that with 5w30 synthetic as per the very first two UOA's.

I'll see how the 5w30 dino oil consumes in the next few intervals and let you guys know.

Check your valve seals. Have somebody start it in the morning, watch the exhaust for blue smoke. Kreen was very helpful to my engine, quieted it down a lot, oil consumption got better.

I dont see the need for dino, just use a thicker synthetic. Better for the vvt-i sysetm

That's the thing though, its consuming oil but I can't find where its going. My exhaust tip is clean and shiny, so it doesn't appear to be burning up or else the rear end would be black with soot.

I'll try a few things during the next few OCIs to see if I can lower the consumption a bit. I'm pretty sure that the switch from the 0w30 AZO will be enough to bring it back to normal. We shall see.

Check your valve seals. Have somebody start it in the morning, watch the exhaust for blue smoke. Kreen was very helpful to my engine, quieted it down a lot, oil consumption got better.

I dont see the need for dino, just use a thicker synthetic. Better for the vvt-i sysetm

No smoke at start up. The exhaust is clean without at soot so I don't know where the oil is going. The block is dry all around without any leaks.

The only reason for switching to dino is due to cost and me wanting to experiment with Valvoline NextGen.

Was replaces during the last OC after consumption skyrocketed with hopes of it lowering the consumption but this second run of AZO showed that the old PCV valve was fine.

I wanted to put Amsoil OE in but the VNG was more tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back