Oil suggestions for CX-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick R,

Regardless of what oil you choose to use in your Mazda, make sure that if you are doing oil changes yourself, you create a login on mymazda.com, and record all your self services in there when you do the oil changes.

This is Mazda's own system, and if you should ever have to have a warranty claim, you just point to their own system, and tell them to pull it up using the info you put into mymazda.

You can get to it by going to the mazdausa webpage, and click on the link at the top for owners. Create a profile for your vehicle using your VIN, and you're all set to record everything you ever do to your car. Even down to tire rotations, and wiper blade changes.

BC.

As your Mazda has a direct injection engine, an oil with low Noack volatility would be a good idea. Pennzoil Ultra's PDS shows very low volatility; if you believe it (and many don't), that would be a great choice. Actualy, Ultra is probably a great choice even if the PDS volatility is wrong.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Ultra is probably a great choice even if the PDS volatility is wrong.

Except that there is no Ultra 0w-20, if that's the grade that he has to use.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Originally Posted By: pbm
Walmart also carries Synpower 0w20 but not in the 5 qt. jugs.
I'd use either QSUD, PP or M1 (instead of Eneos) based mainly on price.
Do you work in Albany, Nick?

Yup. I work in the new Time Warner Cable Inbound Call Center on New Karner Rd, off of Central Ave in Colonie.

I have driven past Albany many times but this past March I spent a day at the capital. It was nicer than I expected.
My youngest is considering SUNY Albany (among others).
Nice car, by the way.
I'm sticking with my 2011 Cruze for awhile because I don't want to take the depreciation hit...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Danh
Ultra is probably a great choice even if the PDS volatility is wrong.

Except that there is no Ultra 0w-20, if that's the grade that he has to use.

Well, that is a drawback I guess. But if there was an 0w/20...

My garage currently holds TGMO, Honda Genuine Full Syn, M1 and PP 0W-20. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of these or Mazda brand oil in your new CX-5. FWIW, I have had good luck with Pennzoil products in my MS3, a progenitor to the SkyActiv line. Please do a couple of UOAs on this engine. I'd like to know if it fuel dilutes like my 2.3 turbo.

ZOOM ZOOM!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back