State Laws on Temporary License Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I just bought an 02 ES300. I'm heading out to Chicago and Michigan this weekend, and was wondering if it's alright to drive out there on just temporary plates. There are no plates on the front, and on the back the dealer put the temp. plate.

I'm trying to decide what car to take, the RX or the ES. LOL, It would be cheaper to take the ES, because it get's much higher hwy mpg. I'm going back to Michigan in two weeks anyways, so If I don't take the ES this weekend, I'll take it in two weeks, by that time I should have the plates.

My understanding was that, as long as the vehicle is legal and complies with all the laws in the state it is registered in, other states can't say or do anything about it. (Ex. If your state doesn't require a front plate, and you drive in a state that does require one, they can't ticket you for it). I could be wrong about that though.

Michigan doesn't even have front plates so I wouldn't worry about that.
If that is what they gave you for temporary plates at the DMV, and you are sure you followed the guidelines, go for it. You don't work for the Illinios Highway Patrol, so it they have a beef with it, they can contact your home office.

Just don't go to Ohio.
A few years ago a Georgia family bought a new van right before Christmas and headed out to visit family in Ohio.With their ga "drive out plates" (which are temps till you get your regular plates) installed.Christmas eve an Ohio trooper pulled the family over for having an improperly tagged vehicle.The father explained that the van was new and had the proper ga plates.The trooper stated he did not care and that they would not be allowed to operate it in Ohio_Ordered them out of the vehicle and had it towed.Left the family on the side of the highway...in the rain.Waiting for family to drive 60 miles or so to get them.

When the Ohio authorities were asked for a comment by news organisations they stated" it's not our troopers job to be familiar with other states licensing procedures and that the trooper had did no wrong."

Personally I think the trooper needed a to get acquainted w/a can of whup-[censored] and a large lawsuit.

I would carry the papers that says you paid your license plate registration fee, particularly if your temporary plate does not have a number and an expiration date.

Originally Posted By: Carbon
I would carry the papers that says you paid your license plate registration fee, particularly if your temporary plate does not have a number and an expiration date.

The temp. plate has a number and expiration date. I will carry the paper work as well.

Originally Posted By: urrlord
Just don't go to Ohio.
A few years ago a Georgia family bought a new van right before Christmas and headed out to visit family in Ohio.With their ga "drive out plates" (which are temps till you get your regular plates) installed.Christmas eve an Ohio trooper pulled the family over for having an improperly tagged vehicle.The father explained that the van was new and had the proper ga plates.The trooper stated he did not care and that they would not be allowed to operate it in Ohio_Ordered them out of the vehicle and had it towed.Left the family on the side of the highway...in the rain.Waiting for family to drive 60 miles or so to get them.

When the Ohio authorities were asked for a comment by news organisations they stated" it's not our troopers job to be familiar with other states licensing procedures and that the trooper had did no wrong."

Personally I think the trooper needed a to get acquainted w/a can of whup-[censored] and a large lawsuit.

I have to drive through Ohio, I'l be on the Ohio Turnpike, which is usually always patrolled.

After hearing this, I'm thinking about just taking the RX this weekend. Then when I go back in two weeks, I'll take the ES.

Last edited:
This may not answer your question, however I have two stories.
Because some States will charge you the State Sales Tax for that State, you have to be careful where you buy.

1. I purchased a car in New York State and drove it to Florida.
All it takes in NYS is for you, or the dealer, to go to the DMV, show proof in insurance for that car and get an "In-Transit" Permit. (Paper Plate). You do not pay the NYS Sales Tax and you must get the car out of the State with 30 days. Had no problems driving it to Florida where I paid the State Sales Tax when I registered the car. (Some dealers don't even know about this, and you have to "inform" them of the law).

2. I purchased a car in Littleton Colorado (Denver area). Had a slight problem getting a paper plate, because the DMV office we went to, wants an address in the same county where the DMV office was located. They don't want to know nothing about me being from out of State. They want an address from that county. Well, the guy I bought the car from, lives in a different county, even though it was all Denver. Lucky for me, he has a daughter who lives in that same county, so we just used his daughters address and my name. Showed proof of insurance and got the temporary plate. The paper plate is the type that sticks to the rear window, not the license plate frame. Had no problems once I got that paper plate. Drove down to Roswell NM for a few days, then back to Florida.

As noted in (1) above, some States (like Florida) insist you pay that States Sales Tax, then they tell you that when you get to register the car in your home State, all you have to do is show that you paid the tax. All I can say is to CHECK WITH YOUR HOME STATE DMV FIRST. I've heard horror stories where the home State would not recognize the tax paid in the selling State, and the buyer had to pay the tax a second time in the home state.

Be careful my friend. Very careful.

It is state specific.

I know MA does not have temp plates at all and does not consider out of state ones legal in their state. They don't typically pull you over and ticket but can.

I am confident you would have no plate troubles in Ohio with the plate with the number and expiration date. However be aware that Ohio is tougher on ticketing speeders than most states. I suggest you don't drive faster than average.

I did not find the Ohio info, but I found this for Wisconsin: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/plates/nolaf.htm

It says "Dealer-issued or handmade "License Applied For" plates are not acceptable." You should be fine.

Originally Posted By: Carbon
I am confident you would have no plate troubles in Ohio with the plate with the number and expiration date. However be aware that Ohio is tougher on ticketing speeders than most states. I suggest you don't drive faster than average.

I did not find the Ohio info, but I found this for Wisconsin: http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/plates/nolaf.htm

It says "Dealer-issued or handmade "License Applied For" plates are not acceptable." You should be fine.

Yeah, I'm very familiar with how strict Ohio cops are on speeders.

I've been making monthly, sometimes bi-weekly trips to Michigan & Chicago, for at least about 5 years. And before that I would make a trip every summer. So I'm very familiar with the route and where the cops usually hang out.

States have "reciprocity agreements" where if state B allows state A's cars in, state A will let B's in. This has been going on since around 1910.

This is where I presume Massachusetts' loophole is; they don't issue paper plates and don't feel that they have to honor them.

My state does not require any plate at all on an under 50 cc motorized bike. But New Hampshire does. This presents a pickle if I wanted to ride over there.

California, apparently, just lets you cruise around plateless for six months after you buy a new car. That would drive me crazy as other states must take a pretty dim view of that. If I had a new car I'd be on a road trip for sure!

My son in law bought a used car from a dealer in Chicago last month.
He traded in a car and that dealer just put his plates on the newly bought car and didn't give him any Temp plate.He's transferring and not buying new plates.
I told him that car was illegally on the road because it wasn't registered yet under the plates on the car.It takes over a month to get the proper transfer of plates or new plates and registration when dealing out of NJ.He was lucky he didn't get stopped on the 750 mile trip home.

You're fine. I bought an IS a few years ago out of Florida with a temp tag and within 7 days was pulled over in AL. Officer stated my temp tag was expired. Told him not it's not and that it was a Florida tag and he said nm you're right sorry about the confusion have a nice day. So you should be good
wink.gif

NH puts the ISSUE date in sharpie in inch high letters. The cardboard then says in particularly fine print that it's good for another 20 days after that. So an out of state cop can be confused on that one.

I drove my sister's car from ME to TX with a NH temp tag, even through MA, without trouble. And I signed all the paperwork with her name, and not under power of attorney.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
California, apparently, just lets you cruise around plateless for six months after you buy a new car. That would drive me crazy as other states must take a pretty dim view of that. If I had a new car I'd be on a road trip for sure!

But they do (or did) ask you for your registration.

I got pulled over somewhere little and scenic but otherwise uninteresting south of San Jose. Cop asked me for my registration so I pointed at sticker on my windshield.
"That's not your registration. That's a sticker."
ummmm.....yeah....my registration sticker.

I didn't bother arguing. No point. He's already got the citation book out and I'm getting one. He didn't tow my car but did cite me for "obstruction of forward vision, decals".

I never went to court for it. I get a background check every year by TXDPS for my job and no warrants. Perhaps, just maybe, the judge threw out the case instead of finding me guilty in absentia for having state issued documents affixed to the windshield.
21.gif
or California has a really short statute of limitations. I don't know

Originally Posted By: eljefino
States have "reciprocity agreements" where if state B allows state A's cars in, state A will let B's in. This has been going on since around 1910.

This is where I presume Massachusetts' loophole is; they don't issue paper plates and don't feel that they have to honor them.

My state does not require any plate at all on an under 50 cc motorized bike. But New Hampshire does. This presents a pickle if I wanted to ride over there.

That's why Steve Jobs bought a new car every six months, his Benz never had license plates. lol

Originally Posted By: Colt
My son in law bought a used car from a dealer in Chicago last month.
He traded in a car and that dealer just put his plates on the newly bought car and didn't give him any Temp plate.He's transferring and not buying new plates.
I told him that car was illegally on the road because it wasn't registered yet under the plates on the car.It takes over a month to get the proper transfer of plates or new plates and registration when dealing out of NJ.He was lucky he didn't get stopped on the 750 mile trip home.

Yeah, I'm having my plates transferred from my old car to this one. I was told it can take up to a month, but should be done hopefully within' a week.

I've done this many times. You will be fine as long as your temp tag is valid. Just keep your paperwork (bill of sale, etc), valid license, and obtain a copy of new Proof of Insurance (they can print/email/fax one for you).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back