New to me Pontiac torrent, need maint. suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we bought a 07 Pontiac torrent with the 3400 v6 and AWD. No owners Manual. Was wondering what other torrent/ equinox owners had been doing for maitenance.

It has 97k , I figure spark plugs and tranny need serviced. Its a 5 speed Aisin AF33 transmission.

Im pretty sure this engine doesnt have the infamous LIM gasket problem. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Awd transfer case drain and fill scedule?

Im really hoping this engine has a timing chain, I hate worrying about belts.

What kind of oil would you guys recommend, the current pyb seems to be doing good, but im always up for advice.

Does this tranny take dex vi ?

This is the family vehicle, so Im willing to pamper with top shelf fluids and parts.Dont hold back on suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
No 3400 intake leak and they have a timing chain.

Tranny should have DEX VI, it is an Aisin unit. Sealed. I think the fluid has to be sucked out or a pan drop must be done.

I use Mobil 10-W30 in mine. All my cars get it, so it makes it easy. The 3.4 can be noisy, but not a big deal.

The rearends can be noisy. I have not had any problem with mine.
Some leaked water into the hatch area. I have not had this problem. I don't like the brakes, they are adequate but I feel they are kind of small.

I have just shy of 80,000 on mine. I have done brakes, oil changes, one coolant change and ingnition cylinder. The spare we had made screwed it up.

Coolant, brake fluid, filters, rotate the tires and check the brakes. Conventional oil works fine. The engine does have timing chain. Those vehicles were pretty [censored] reliable! Hardly seen any of those come in for any problems. Than again not many were sold

Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D
So we bought a 07 Pontiac torrent with the 3400 v6 and AWD. No owners Manual. Was wondering what other torrent/ equinox owners had been doing for maitenance.

It has 97k , I figure spark plugs and tranny need serviced. Its a 5 speed Aisin AF33 transmission.

Im pretty sure this engine doesnt have the infamous LIM gasket problem. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Awd transfer case drain and fill scedule?

Im really hoping this engine has a timing chain, I hate worrying about belts.

What kind of oil would you guys recommend, the current pyb seems to be doing good, but im always up for advice.

Does this tranny take dex vi ?

This is the family vehicle, so Im willing to pamper with top shelf fluids and parts.Dont hold back on suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to a PDF 2007 Torrent owner's manual. Save it as it contains all the info you need. NOTE - If you go to E-Bay you can always find owner's manuals as well so you can have a hard copy in your glovebox( I personally feel this is a must have item in any vehicle - just a quirk of mine ).

http://www.pontiac.com/content/dam/ponti...ners-manual.pdf

I had a 2008 Equinox( 3.4L AWD )so same basic animal. Decent little rig.

Your 3.4L actually is still at risk for the infamous intake gasket issue. Supposed to be fixed by 2007 models but still happens a lot even with the updated gasket set. Keep an eye out for coolant leaks. Head gasket issues too sadly( neighbor across the street lost a HG on his 08 Equinox just last summer ).

No, the tranny does not use Dex VI. The Aisin tranny in the Equinox and Torrent( at least through 08 when I had mine ), calls for T-IV fluid. Hard to find T-IV specific fluids these days although they are still out there. Pretty much look for a quality universal ATF that covers the T-IV spec. Castrol Transmax Import ATF is a popular one to replace T-IV although any brand will be fine as T-IV is nothing super special. RP and Amsoil's universal ATF offerings would be excellent choices. Normal scheduled service is 100K and that is WAY too long for T-IV to be in service. 50K is as long as I would go. It is one of those sealed units as another member said so just a fluid drain and swap gets done( there is a filter but tranny needs to come out to service it ). Many people with these vehicles add a Magnafine inline ATF filter that can be serviced if that interests you.

NOTE - to change the ATF in these tranny's you remove a drain plug. Only about 4- 4.5 qts comes out. Unless you have it flushed you won't be replacing much fluid. Really needs a flush to get it all.

The transfer case(PTU) uses a GM only fluid. It is called Versatrak. It has no real aftermarket replacement and it is very expensive( $35 +/- list - can be ordered online for mid $20's but shipping just takes it back up ). RP Synchromax has replaced it in some applications such as Saturn AWD t-cases and done the job well yet it has not done the job in other applications calling for that fluid such as the rear diff's in some GM AWD systems. So you really should just stick with the GM stuff despite the cost( JMHO ).

Don't forget the rear diff( RDM ) in your AWD Torrent. It too has fluid service needs. The RDM uses 75W90 GL5 synthetic gear oil. From GM you want the Grape Juice( yes it is actually grape scented or it was anyway - I think that fluid has been replaced with a new one - still scented? ). Again however, just as with the Versatrak fluid, the OE gear oil is way over priced. RP MaxGear 75W90, Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90, or any other 75W90 GL5 fluid will replace the GM stuff for a fraction of the cost. Expect to pay anywhere from $25-$30+ a bottle for the GM stuff. You can get any number of quality, high end, aftermarket replacements for $15-$20 +/-. Less with sales and coupons/rebates.

NOTE - If you got RP Maxgear at AAP for example they always have discount codes available when you order online( you can order online and do store pickup to save shipping )that will lower it way down. If you bought everything you needed there, and you order online using a code, you will save a TON of cash.

At 100K, yes, the plugs need replacing. The good news is they are Iridium plugs and are good for 100K so you don't have coppers in there that are 70K past due( unless someone else changed them out before ). The AC Delco OEM plugs( 41-101 as I recall )are excellent plugs. I would use them without hesitation.

PYB 5W30 is fine. I would personally swap it over to a High Mileage oil. I personally feel Valvoline MaxLife is the best HM oil. My 2nd choice would be Kendall HM but that is really hard to find. If you like Pennzoil they offer an HM oil as well. The oem AC Delco oil filters( PF47 as I recall )will be fine.

Check and replace the air filter. Also, I believe your Torrent has a Cabin Air filter as well that after 97K is ready to be replaced.

One other HUGE item I would do. That is a flush of the coolant system. OE AF is Dexcool. As I recall my 08 Equinox showed either 100K or like 125K for a coolant system service. 100K is MAX I would run Dexcool or any similar modern ATF. Actually, IMO 75K is a better time frame. At 97K IMO you are definitely due to service the coolant system. I would personally get it flushed and not just drain and refill which leaves some old in there. Make sure you replace it with Dexcool or Dexcool compatible fluid. Valvoline's MaxLife anti freeze is an excellent one to use.

Hope this helps you out. Be sure and download that owner's manual before it is no longer available. The download is free. Just save it to your computer as a PDF document when it opens in a browser window. I looked on E-Bay and there are a couple OM's with sleeve for under $30. IMO that would be a wise purchase.

10.gif

Last edited:
NHHEMI is pretty much spot on. I also recommend buying a Chiltons for it. I have one and it has been a life saver for me.

I use QS Defy and it purrs like a kitten. 5w-30. PYB would work nicely in it too. In regards to filters I recommend using the PF-52 (Classic design, not ecore) as it is bigger and there is plenty of clearance.

I have an 05 and had to have my headgasket replaced. Luckily it was under GM certs warranty and they gave it a top end rebuild free of charge (no questions or arguments, they just did it.) Have the system checked to make sure it either has already been replaced or if there are any leaks. It isn't bad if you can do it yourself but having it done even at a reasonable shop will cost you $600-$1,000.

The transmission calls for the GM equvialent of T-IV. There is a fill plug which is a pain to get to as it is located in a funny place near the transmission mount. Probably to deter DIYers. The drain plug is easy. it is doable but hard the first time. I have done a several over the years and it becomes a snap. I recommend using Maxlife and LGR. The combo works AWESOME for the Aisin.

The diffs use Versatrack fluid which is $$$$. I switched to Royal Purple Synchromax
and it does a great job.

Overall it is a great car and a heck of a powertain. Treat her well and you will have many years of happy service.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
The diffs use Versatrack fluid which is $$$$. I switched to Royal Purple Synchromax and it does a great job.

Yeah, earlier years( 05 and 06 )used Versatrak in the rear diff(RDM) in addition to the t-case(PTU). 07 was the 1st year they switched over to the 75W90 GL5 synthetic gear oil in the Equinox/Torrent. That is what it called for in the owner's manual I looked up for the guy( I actually looked because I remembered it was different year to year and I wanted to tell him the right stuff ). My 08 also called for the 75W90 in the RDM.

Last edited:
It was my understanding that 05 and 06 had the headgasket problem as some were defective from the facotry. I have not heard are read about a headgasket problem on other years.
The intake is different desing than past 3400s. I have not heard or seen a leak on any except the 05 models.

Infact a couple of quick google searches only turn up on 08 headgasket hit. The rest were all 05 or 06. I was know that some of the gaskets had a defect from the factory.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Infact a couple of quick google searches only turn up on 08 headgasket hit. The rest were all 05 or 06. I was know that some of the gaskets had a defect from the factory.

I belonged to the main Equnox forum when I had mine( still go there from time to time to say hi )and plenty of intake and head gasket issues on 07's & 08's. Haven't seen it for the last year of the old Equinox( 09 )w/ the 3.4L but 07 and 08 were not defect free.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: ls1mike

I belonged to the main Equnox forum when I had mine( still go there from time to time to say hi )and plenty of intake and head gasket issues on 07's & 08's. Haven't seen it for the last year of the old Equinox( 09 )w/ the 3.4L but 07 and 08 were not defect free.

I know the rebuild kit from the dealerships correct this issue. They said that for the 05s it had something to do with the chemicals that China used to clean the blocks were causing the melting gaskets (not Dexcool!) The new gaskets are impervious to any issues caused by dexcool or any outside chemicals. I am happy to hear they fixed it for later years.

In regards to versatrack you guys are lucky. Jealous!

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will monitor the coolant closely, even after I get it flushed just to be safe.

Originally Posted By: Jeffy_D
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will monitor the coolant closely, even after I get it flushed just to be safe.

Once a year I will bring my car in for inspection sticker, balance the tires (I rotate them every 5k oil change) and have the cooling system pressure tested and inspected for any sort of coolant related issues.

They are a great car, you will love it. I have had mine for almost 4 years now and she runs like a champ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back