tire suggestion for new to me truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firestone Destinations are O.K., you would step it up some with Michelin LTX's. Fleabay & Craigslist has used tires, I'd try to avoid them though.

My current truck is riding on a set of craigslist tires and rims, and the spare is from craigslist too. Got a set of OEM rims + LT265/70/17 LRC Firestone Destination AT's with 2 tires at 50% tread, and 2 at 90% for under $400. The tires themselves generally run over $200 a piece new.

Ebay and shipping with used tires - no. Craiglist and ability to inpsect what you are buying before purchase - OK.

I think I have narrowed it down to the cooper discover atp, cooper discoverer at3, or cooper zeon ltz. Just on looks, I like the zeon. The atp has the tread of the zeon but made with the newer compound of the at3. at3 and atp price are about the same. Zeon is about 20 more per tire. I also am considering going up one size. The size on the truck now is 275/5520. I am considering going to a 275/6020. i like the look of a fuller wheel well. I do not want to lift it. I spoke to the rep at discount tire and they said the 275/6020 is considered an extreme fitament but will fit. What does everybody else think???

In Mississippi, just pick one....they'll all be fine and very similar in mileage output.

In fact, unless you actually take your truck off-road, I'd simply go for a highway/all-season tire, best bang for your dollar and they'll last longer.

Thanks for all the advice. Still have not decided. I think I am almost sick of looking at tire, almost. I am still torn between the cooper atp and zeon. I wish I could see the ATP in person but they are no where around here. I have spoken the guys at discount tire direct numerous times and it seems like each one there has their own favorite as well. I must say they have been very helpful and I plan on buying from them when I make my mind up. The goodyear duratrac also looks good. I will have to see if they come in my size. With all the research i have done both tires seem to get really good reviews. The zeon is a lt tire which means it will be a stronger tire but may also affect mpg. To be honest a complete side profile of the zeon looks pretty tame. The lugs are just a little bit more aggressive and it is a little more squared off than the atp. I have found pictures of the zeon on trucks like mine but no pictures on the atp. If anybody out there has this tire in a 275/60r20 I would love to see some pictures of it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back