Blackstone's UOA report of the month - 122,635 -FF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm posting this from Blackstone's monthly June newsletter.

This is the link to the UOA report of the month of a 1997 Nissan pickup truck that went 122,635 on the factory filled oil.

Blackstone's report of the month - 1997 Nissan Pickup truck - 122,635 miles on the FF!

Can someone please explain to me how this is even possible and how the engine is not sludged up beyond belief?

I mean, i can understand 22k on the FF, 40k, 60k, but 122,000 miles and the oil in there is 16 years old? I find it hard to believe that this is even true.

Thoughts comments?

Wear metals look good. If everything tracks fairly linear, and I believe that it does, divide each of the results by 24.5 to get an estimate of metals every 5,000 miles.

Al: 1
Fe: 21
Cu: 1
Pb: 12
Si: 1

I can't believe how low the silicon number is. With the possible exception of Fe and maybe Pb, I think anyone would enjoy seeing a UOA report that like every 5,000 miles on their engine.

I realize that the wear metals aren't THAT BAD after so many miles. My main question is, wouldn't the oil have oxidized into a VERY THICK paste by now?

I just find this report VERY hard to believe, as much as i believe Blackstone... I feel that the owner of this truck (or the son to be exact) is not giving accurate details. I just don't believe that there's this much miles on this oil.

Originally Posted By: GBL
Does it also have the original filter?
Probably...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
15 years on oil and he didn't pay to have the TBN tested?

Isn't it quite obvious that it would be ZERO (way in the negatives
grin2.gif
?) why waste money on TBN?

Those Nissan KA24E engines are tough little engines. I'd like to know the condition of the timing chain/guides in this engine. They're not known to be particularly robust in this particular engine series.

Originally Posted By: Artem
grin2.gif

Not with the way Blackstone does their testing. I haven't seen a report that had a TBN less than 1.
smile.gif

I just find this report VERY hard to believe, as much as i believe Blackstone... I feel that the owner of this truck (or the son to be exact) is not giving accurate details. I just don't believe that there's this much miles on this oil.

I'm with you.

I don't believe that an oil from 1997 would have those levels of ZDDP in it.

I'd find it more likely the oil was changed sometime after 2004.

Last edited:
...I mean, i can understand 22k on the FF, 40k, 60k, but 122,000 miles and the oil in there is 16 years old? I find it hard to believe that this is even true. ...

Synlube factory fill?
lol.gif

grin2.gif

Not with the way Blackstone does their testing. I haven't seen a report that had a TBN less than 1.
smile.gif

Here's one report with less the 1.0 TBN and i have seen others very low and ever 0.0 TBN.

That report does not seem right at all. I do think there has been alot of top up. If there wasnt there would be no oil left to test. But wear metals look great for an 1/8 of a million miles.

Two thoughts come to mind:
-they could have just kept topping off the oil. If it had just a small amount of oil usage it might have been kept in decent enough shape by new oil.
-This isn't 122k on the oil. Did dad ever have to go back to the dealer, for any issue; and, while there, impart his "wisdom"? What about his local mechanic? I have to wonder if someone decided it was worth twenty bucks of their own money to make dad just go away... and not come back. Not with wisdom like that.

15 years on oil and he didn't pay to have the TBN tested?

LOL!!
crackmeup2.gif

I find this to be almost impossible. 0.4 insols!!! engines have been ruined in 40k! As others have said the engine started using oil and it was topped off but without filter changes I don't see how it could have not been totally clogged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back