oil temperature sensor location,

Status
Not open for further replies.
The standard place is in the oil pan.
This gives us a relative reference for what is normal running temps.
This is my recommendation.

Other locations may read a lot hotter - like the return line from a turbo!
This may be good if you need to know the actual hottest the oil gets.

I'm thinking about adding oil pressure and temp gauges, oil pan for temp is a good place, where should oil pressure sensor installed ? sandwich on the oil filter ? The car I'm thinking about these gauges is Honda S2000.

dont let the air off the radiator hit it, half way back on the side of the pan. 1/4 to 3/8 up from the bottom. it would be best to know how far down the oil is while running.

Having the sensor in the flow to the engine would be almost as good a spot to measure overall oil temp as the sump. The key is to ensure that the sensor is in the flow and not recessed into an adapter,'t' fitting or banjo bolt.

Re: the S2000

I haven't had mine in 5 years, but if I remember the S2000 oil pan isn't a great candidate for tapping in a sensor..cast, lots of ribbing and it is rather shallow, plus, if I remember, there is a windage tray in it. You can do it, but it won't be the easiest project. A sandwich plate would be better if you have the clearance as there is already a plate for the oil-water cooler.

I would not use one of the sump plug type sensors on a car this low, especially where the plug faces to the side.

When the sensor is other than in the pan, our reference to 'normal' is off.
There certainly are spots that read much higher, but that is not the sump temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back