supertech oil vs Pennzoil yb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is the better of the 2. I have a 08 dodge ram im thinking bout using Mobil 1 but I have used supertech seems to be good oil. But I know Mobil 1 would be the best. Do u think it will be harder on seals than Dino oil and also oil burn.

You list Pennzoil YB in your title yet there is no reference of it in your post and you throw in M1 for some reason...

I'm lost. Are you comparing two conventional oils or...

Any no, synthetic oil would be harder on seals. If anything, it will help prolong their useful life.

My 98 Camry used Mobil 1 since the first OC and have never suffered from oil leaks staining my driveway. 15 years later and 220,000 miles, the engine is still dry (regular maintenance and timely replacement of major seals is the key here)

+1 to the above. PYB and M1 are apples and oranges. ST and PYB are similar but I would give the edge to PYB. ST is a great oil and I use it quite often but SOPUS products are top notch and typically are reasonably priced.

M1 compared to PP would be a more fair comparison..

Indeed!
I too would take PYB if the price is close to ST.
Often with oil/filter specials and other deals, PYB is my choice.
But, I have used plenty of ST and other WARREN Mfg's oil without issue. My engines certainly didn't know the difference.

Originally Posted By: dslofti
Which is the better of the 2. I have a 08 dodge ram im thinking bout using Mobil 1 but I have used supertech seems to be good oil. But I know Mobil 1 would be the best. Do u think it will be harder on seals than Dino oil and also oil burn.

How do you know that M1 would be best? Whats your OCI, driving habits and engine. M1 could be over kill and not the "best" fit.

I would chose PYB over supertech but there was a recent supertech UOA with over 10k that returned a excellent uoa on dino.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Artem
Any no, synthetic oil would not be harder on seals. If anything, it will help prolong their useful life.

I fixed this for what I believe Artem was saying.

Among Pennzoil and Super Tech, I'll buy Pennzoil every time. It has a great additive package and consistently produces excellent UOAs. Not to say that Super Tech doesn't or won't, but Pennzoil is a known good quantity.

Doesnt matter. And C'mon guys, stop wth the Dino oil talk. There no longer exist an ILSAC dino oil. Stocks are are ALL "pseudo-synthesized" now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Doesnt matter. And C'mon guys, stop wth the Dino oil talk. There no longer exist an ILSAC dino oil. Stocks are are ALL "pseudo-synthesized" now.

Can somebody convert this to normal speak. And/or throw some facts in......

Originally Posted By: beast3300

Think what he is trying to say in Dummy Terms for guys like me is - most if not all oil is more like a semi synthetic now and not just a straight conventional (I don't use term dino).

Originally Posted By: BillyTheKid
Originally Posted By: beast3300

Think what he is trying to say in Dummy Terms for guys like me is - most if not all oil is more like a semi synthetic now and not just a straight conventional (I don't use term dino).

I know, I have more respect for it than that too.

I'm now confident that now, finally, long dead (extinct?) proto(?)-reptiles are sleeping (re-carbonizing?) better, knowing people won't be taking their abbreviation in vain, unnecessarily...

Cheers!

First of all.... Dino is a retarded term and has little science behind it. Crude oil comes from the earth's core, not dead dinosaurs.....

That said... If your car is an Oil Vacuum..... It isn't going to make an enormous difference if you use Supertech or Penzoil. Much of the SuperTech stuff is made by Warren Dist, the Mag 1 guys. I have a while mess of Mag 1 in my garage, and recommend it to anyone who wants cost effective quality. For an oil burner, don't get all worked up over what brand, because the truck is going to eat it up anyway. Just find an API Certified bargain. My garage is currently stocked with Wolf's Head and Mag 1, because I got it well below retail. There's also some Federated Auto Parts brand out there too. My cars don't seem to care what you feed them as long as it's proven to pass the car's warranty standards.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
First of all.... Dino is a retarded term and has little science behind it. Crude oil comes from the earth's core, not dead dinosaurs.....

+1 I'm going to try not to use the term "dino" either. I think crude is constantly being produced at the core, and in that sense is a renewable resourse.

The differences between ST and PYB are probably slight but full synthetic may offer more protection while the engine is cold and should thicken less (a good thing) if you do longer OCIs.

DINO is outdated because the "full synthetic" you are buying and the less pricy "conventional" are neither conventional or synthetic in certified API SN/ ILSAC GF-5 resource conserving oil (current 5w20/30, 10w-30). Your QSGB, VWB and PYB or GTX is not at all conventional processed and your beloved PP or M1 is NOT true synthetic (exclusive majority group iv/v basestock)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dew
... I think crude is constantly being produced at the core, and in that sense is a renewable resourse.

!???!

I call group I,II and think II+ mineral or conventional. I call group III, III+ etc synthetic
21.gif
. Isn't that how the oil companies call it as well?

Does a conventional SM or SN but non-ILSAC like 10W40 or 20W50 contain only group II?

To get back on topic, Pennzoil and all the major brands would be better than Supertech. Supertech meets the specs but is more like a bulk oil IMO.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I call group I,II and think II+ mineral or conventional. I call group III, III+ etc synthetic
21.gif
. Isn't that how the oil companies call it as well?

Does a conventional SM or SN but non-ILSAC like 10W40 or 20W50 contain only group II?

To get back on topic, Pennzoil and all the major brands would be better than Supertech. Supertech meets the specs but is more like a bulk oil IMO.

So are you saying that oil that comes in 55 gallon drums is of lesser quality than oil you go into a parts store and buy a quart of? Why is it that so many people believe this to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back