Additives settling out of motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a post in Car and Truck Gas Engine Oil that people have noticed some sort of dark colored additive settling out of motor oil. The oil that was being talked about was Castrol GTX, but one guy noticed the same thing with Mobil Delvac 1, and another guy said that you can see the same thing in the case of motor oil that has light colored containers.

Is there in fact a problem with Moly or some other additive settling out of motor oil? Seems to me that this would be a serious problem.

Number one-the additives should not be settling out. If the Moly is in chemical combination and the additives properly formulated, they should stay in suspension.

Number two-if one or more additives do tend to settle out, the oil filter could probably filter out much of the additive that settles out and the oil filter would plug up sooner. And the additive would be of no use in the engine and maybe even cause plugging of oil lines.

I can remember hearing advice to the effect that if an oil additive container has wording that you need to shake the container before adding the additive, then do not buy that additive. People were talking about additives containing PTFE.

An additive containing graphite used to be sold at my Saturn new car dealership. Just as a test, I bought a bottle and put some of this in motor oil in a clear glass container. I sealed the container and put in on a shelf in my garage. After several months, no graphite settled out.

Seems to me that if a small company that makes an oil supplement can keep graphite from settling out of its product, then big oil companies should be able to keep the additives in their motor oil in suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back