Recommended oil for new BMW 535i when I change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At approx 2k miles I changed it myself using Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 which meets BMW LL-04. I have another 6 quarts left of it from an Amazon deal last year. I will change it again at 7500 miles. BMW will of course change it once a year or every 15k, so I will continue to change it at 7500 between the BMW service. We plan on keeping this car for a long time (10 years.)

Since delivery in mid March it now has 5700 miles and by the end of July will have 7500 from another road trip. Wife usually makes shorter trips around town when its not on a road trip.

So with me changing oil at 7500 and BMW at 15k, what oil should I use?

M1 0w-40
M1 TDT 5w-40
Amsoil ?? Have a friend who just became a dealer, not sure its worth it to use Amsoil for just 7500 miles or is it?

or anything that meets the spec?

I will use the BMW filters as I have a wholesale account and they deliver right to my house.

TIA!

Originally Posted By: silverz06vette
At approx 2k miles I changed it myself using Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 which meets BMW LL-04.

Why are you running LL-04 oil in it? You should be running LL-01.

However, LL-04 will work with your fairly conservative OCIs.

From the LL-01 oils, either M1 0w-40, GC 0w-30, or PU 5w-40 should work well.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
At approx 2k miles I changed it myself using Valvoline SynPower 5w-40 which meets BMW LL-04.

From the LL-01 oils, either M1 0w-40, GC 0w-30, or PU 5w-40 should work well.

Thank you for the LL-01 tip. Will just use M1 0w-40 since its easy to find.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

From the LL-01 oils, either M1 0w-40, GC 0w-30, or PU 5w-40 should work well'

Thank you for the LL-01 tip. Will just use M1 0w-40 since its easy to find.

Thank you!

+1...excellent choice.....M-1 0w40 is considered by many M-1 users here on BITOG...to be a top-shelf oil...one of the best that Mobil makes.

You used the wrong oil. You need LL-01. Contact Dave at United BMW for BMW 5w-30 OE oil if under warranty. M1 0w-40 is surely a good choice too. If warranty is out, Id consider RLI.

The Castrol is also available approved in 0W30 but I'm not sure if it's as available as the 5W40.

I did have a question though if you go to the recommended oil for a new BMW on Castrol's site, they tell you to use oil from the dealer. But if you go on Mobile's site they recommend Mobil 1 0W40 for the same car. BMW owner's/service manual states to use LL-01 and both oils are approved, so why would Castrol recommend getting the oil from the dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back