Jetta GLI 2.0T TSI Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought a 2012 Jetta GLI. I know the most common VW 502 oils are M1 0W40 and GC 0W30, but I've got some Valvoline Max Life Synthetic 5W30 that is also 502 rated. I'm planning on a short initial run with the FF, then maybe a short run with either the M1, GC or maybe the VMLS. Think the VMLS will be okay?

I had no idea the Max Life is spec'd for VW502. If so worth at least trying it out and getting a UOA.

I'm currently using M1 0w-40 and I'm pleased with it. If my UOAs stay how they are ill probably stick with it for the life of the car.

Good luck! Cool car!

The current VMLS isn't rated for VW 502. I've got 3 of the previous jugs that is (along with ACEA A3, MB229.3 etc), and instead of using it in the Yaris I was contemplating it in the GLI.

Thanks! It drives quite a bit better than my previous cars. Hopefully it runs well...

Last edited:
Does your owner's manual tell you to do a short run on the FF and then another short run following it?

Didn't think so.

No. But I've seen enough FF UOA's that I feel like changing it early due to the amount of metallic PPM's. Who knows how long it's sat at the dealership, been started up, idling in the lot, moved around the lot, then shut down, then taken out for a test drive etc.

Hmmm, based on that logic, does the owner's manual mention anything about carbon buildup on the intake valves? Are we supposed to pretend that doesn't exist either? I've seen enough pictures of the FSI's to not be too naive, and I doubt VAG has done anything with the TSI's to solve the problem (i.e. injector in the manifold that has a bit of a duty cycle to wash the intake valves periodically).

Ok, your point about valve buildup is fair enough. But I think draining the FF early has been shown time and again to not be necessary, and an argument can be made that it's actually detrimental.

Interesting to see how the Valvoline Max Life Synthetic 5W30 stands up. These engines can be a little tough on oil. I too was not aware that it met VW 502 spec. In my Jetta 2.0T I've run both GC 0W-30 & M1 0W-40 and they are both great oils.

I received the current 502/504/505/507 list from VW Canada and was told to pick a 5W30 or 5W40 from that list while under warranty, and despite the 502 rating not the M1 nor the GC as their viscosity is not in the OM. Easy to find is the Castrol Syntec 5W40, otherwise whatever the dealer has in stock. Maxlife isn't on the list, so I'll save it for the Yaris...

Originally Posted By: craigq
No. But I've seen enough FF UOA's that I feel like changing it early due to the amount of metallic PPM's. Who knows how long it's sat at the dealership, been started up, idling in the lot, moved around the lot, then shut down, then taken out for a test drive etc.

Hmmm, based on that logic, does the owner's manual mention anything about carbon buildup on the intake valves? Are we supposed to pretend that doesn't exist either? I've seen enough pictures of the FSI's to not be too naive, and I doubt VAG has done anything with the TSI's to solve the problem (i.e. injector in the manifold that has a bit of a duty cycle to wash the intake valves periodically).

If you're worried about intake valve buildup, you should use a low-SAPS 504 oil like Castrol SLX Professional LL03. There is a Lubrizol paper that's been posted here before that shows a big reduction in these deposits by using something like this.

Originally Posted By: dbrowne1
Originally Posted By: craigq

If you're worried about intake valve buildup, you should use a low-SAPS 504 oil like Castrol SLX Professional LL03. There is a Lubrizol paper that's been posted here before that shows a big reduction in these deposits by using something like this.

504s would be a somewhat good choice for reducing I/V build-up as most of these deposits come from oil seepage past the valve guides. TSI engines have a redesign in this area as well as others to increase combustion efficiency and decrease blowby and other maladies relative to the FSI engine. Evidently VW is rethinking DI with its new 1.8T slated for the next MQB platform. It, like the Toyota DI engine, will have a secondary injector system in the port, supposedly for reasons NOT related to deposits. Ok, sure
smirk.gif

This engine can be tough on oil, and a 504 would NOT be suitable if respecting the OE recommended 10K OCI due to fuels dilute etc. But who here respects that interval anyway
laugh.gif

Neat car, got one myself last November. For the money, its hard to beat the performance and quality. Currently on GC til 5K, then maybe RLI. I too did changes at 750, and 2.5K miles before going to the GC. Lots of glitter in the FF change so I'll have to agree that there was a bunch of metal swarf in that OCI. Call me what ya want, but I'm still old school when it comes to new engine break-in OCIs and seems others are too. T. Dyson followed the same regime and gave this a thumbs-up too. He has the same engine in his GTI and knew that going 10K before ANY changes would not be the best thing to do. I'm at alittle over 4K and don't lose any oil at all.

Originally Posted By: dmk
Don't you get free service for the first 36,000 mi./3 years from the dealer?

That's in the USA only, not applicable to Canada (unless some deal is made with the dealership).

Originally Posted By: shortyb

504s would be a somewhat good choice for reducing I/V build-up as most of these deposits come from oil seepage past the valve guides. TSI engines have a redesign in this area as well as others to increase combustion efficiency and decrease blowby and other maladies relative to the FSI engine. Evidently VW is rethinking DI with its new 1.8T slated for the next MQB platform. It, like the Toyota DI engine, will have a secondary injector system in the port, supposedly for reasons NOT related to deposits. Ok, sure
smirk.gif

Yeah, I noticed the release on their new design with manifold injectors in addition to direct injection, with no mention of deposits as a reason for it. That was funny.

Quote:
This engine can be tough on oil, and a 504 would NOT be suitable if respecting the OE recommended 10K OCI due to fuels dilute etc. But who here respects that interval anyway
laugh.gif

I'm using 504 oil in a 2.0TFSI right now on a 5K interval. Everything looked fine on the last analysis, though TAN was somewhat higher than TBN which concerned me a little, and TBN was not that high (between 2 and 3). So 5K is about the limit on this stuff on U.S. gasoline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back