History of OCs:

11-07 2361 M1 5w/30 M1 filter
08-08 11792 M1 5w/30 M1 filter
08-09 22097 M1 5w/30EP M1 filter
04-10 32345 M1 5w/30EP M1 Filter Sample prior oil
09-10 38208 Penz Plat 5w/30 M1 filter
10-11 47734 Penz Ultra 5w/30 Pure 1 filter
06-12 57888 G-oil 5w/30 Pure 1 filter Sample prior oil

Should I go 5k miles for the next few OCI to try and clean up the iron and copper more? I dont think I'd want to go more then 7500 on this G-oil anyway. Did you notice that the M1 5w-30 EP had a TBN of 2.1 after 10k miles from the prior sample and the Penzoil ultra was 1.5 after 10k after this sample?

TIA

denali061312copy.jpg

Ouch! that's some serious metal build up you got going on there. Not sure how to feel about it.

This is an odd report. There are no signs of fuel contamination or dirt, yet Fe is at severe high levels. Viscosity is perfect in both samples. I believe there is a mechanical issue that is causing the high Fe.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Ouch! that's some serious metal build up you got going on there. Not sure how to feel about it.

Holy [censored]! You got that right. That`s why I don`t believe in extended oci`s.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with it, but I will mention it anyway. I installed K&N air filter at 5k miles and today with 58k it received it's first cleaning. The filter was not very dirty at all.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Sell it.

Nooooo.
cry.gif

I love this truck and need it for my detailing business.

Should I consider extended GMPP warranty?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
I would cut back to 5k oci to monitor levels until it gets under control.

Should I test at 10 or 20k if doing 5k oci?

TIA!

I would do a 2 or 3k run, and then a 5k run and re sample.

Silicon is above uni avg (maybe cuz of K&N). but not high enough to cause this wear IMO.

Tho it seems from the uni avg, this engine seems to shed more metals than most

hopefully it is just build up from the breakin and 10k ocis. I wouldn't run past 5k or 7.5k until the metals are inline with the uni avg.

my .02

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
I would do a 2 or 3k run, and then a 5k run and re sample.

Silicon is above uni avg (maybe cuz of K&N). but not high enough to cause this wear IMO.

Tho it seems from the uni avg, this engine seems to shed more metals than most

hopefully it is just build up from the breakin and 10k ocis. I wouldn't run past 5k or 7.5k until the metals are inline with the uni avg.

my .02

Sounds like a good plan.

Thank you!

If it were mine:

Throw the K&N in the trash.
Do back-to-back 500 mile oil changes with a quality filter each time and re-sample.
Sell it if the iron numbers were still high.

That's just me. YMMV.

What is the oil pressure? I would ditch the k/n silicon is 14 previously 20. Check airbox and all vacuum hoses for leaks. I think you are sucking dirt in and the quality filters you run are catching it. I would do short dino runs 3k with pyb maybe even a can of lubromoly. Resample at the end of the third run.

Last edited:
This is not dirt as dirt has silica and aluminum. There is something mechanically wrong. Look at the lead from bearings!
Any metallic particles in used oil and/or oil filters? Look under the noon sun.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
This is not dirt as dirt has silica and aluminum. There is something mechanically wrong. Look at the lead from bearings!
Any metallic particles in used oil and/or oil filters? Look under the noon sun.

Closed top oil pan and the oil is gone. Filter went out in the trash.
frown.gif

I'll change it again in 2k and cut open the filter and check the oil in a open pan this time.

Another suggestion I have, buy one or two magnetic oil drains. That will give you an easy visual display how much wear is happening every time you change oil or even in between if you want to (swapping the drains).

Normally, just a small layer of fine grey-black powder (up to 1 mm or so). Big particles will be a clear sign of trouble.

Seems like either engine problem or this grade of oil isn't working.

Have you gotten the oil pressure tested/monitored? Just doesn't seem right.

Yeah, 14 ppm of Si in 10k miles is not bad filtration, that's not the problem. Figuring out the curret oil pressure with a true pressure gauge and seeing whats up there is a better COA, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back