2007 LTZ chevy suburban 5.3"L & pen super syn 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running PP plat syn and pen super syn in 3 vehicles and liked it. I just got a 2007 LTZ suburban 5.3"L and done first oil change with 5w30 super syn pen. In 3k it used a quart of oil. I added a quart and about to do a oil change soon going 5k oil changes. I have not checked it lately. I figure standard 10w30 was runned in it. It has 110,000 miles. I have not checked pvc valve yet either. The oil sending unit quite working also so got to replace it. its the thing that reads oil pressure. Vehicle runs fine and has no leaks. Bought from dealer few months back used. I have a 2000 Yukon XL with same motor no issues.

What should I do stay with what I'm using or change to something else?

Last edited:
What is super synthetic Pennzoil? Is it Pennzoil or Mobil super synthetic? Either way if it is a synthetic API certified oil, just change according to your OLM.

Pennzoil synthetic- black jug the one they came out with after the platinum

Pennzoil Ultra? If it is Ultra only change a 5K if you have to change oil at 5K because you have nightmares about not changing oil. Follow your OLM PU can handle that OCI and still have life left.

I think I know why you call it super synthetic, Pennzoil published a couple of articles to justify adding Ultra to the synthetic PCMO market and stated the Ultra a was new super synthetic tier.

Yes, its ultra. My 2000 yukon will only go 5k then the change oil light comes on. Thats why I go 5k. Thats why I started at 5k on 2007 suburban.

I tried many an oil to slow down consumption on my '05 Silverado 5.3L(1 qt per 1500 to 1800 miles). On Johnny's recommendation I switched to QSHM 10w-30 and consumption slowed to 1 qt every 3500-4000 miles. I hope Defy works the same as I am super pleased with QSHM. Truck has 71k

In the 5,000 miles it was well over 2 qrts low. It was figured around 2.5 qrts best we could tell. Of course Chevy says its in spec. I am hearing that oil rings and pistons are getting replaced on them in them in 5.3L. No recall. I thought about going to 10w30 and also go to high mileage oil to see if those making a dent in consumption. I just put platinum pennzoil 5w30 in it. I had also just replaced the oil pressure sensor. I have not checked the pcv valave yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back