Cheap, decent, longlasting for 2008 BMW X5 3.0si??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do NOT need performance tires.

All this car does is driving to work, grocery store etc.

Any recs for size 255/55-18?

Last edited:
Not sure why you would buy a car like that and then cheap out on tires, but anyway...

Be sure that when youre cheaping out, that the speed and load ratings still match. Otherwise you are compromising handling characteristics (speed rating has as much to do with handling as anything else, IMO) and safety.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Not sure why you would buy a car like that and then cheap out on tires, but anyway...

Be sure that when youre cheaping out, that the speed and load ratings still match. Otherwise you are compromising handling characteristics (speed rating has as much to do with handling as anything else, IMO) and safety.

Well said.

My local Firestone often has some pretty good deals. You can get a quote online and take it in to the store. Firestone stores are independently owned, though, so, as always, you have to be careful.

Because I got a good deal on a used car.

I didn't buy it for the sport performance.

I like the luxury side.

Last edited:

True!

Originally Posted By: alwayson
Because I got a good deal on a used car.

I didn't buy it for the sport performance.

I like the luxury side.

Still applies anyways. Those kinda cars always have needs, regardless..

That said, you might have a shot with Nexen branded tires...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Still applies anyways. Those kinda cars always have needs, regardless..

The average speed the car goes is 20 mph.

I don't see why I need racing slicks.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
There is no such thing as a cheap, decent and longlasting tire.

My [censored] meter just pegged!

Some of the cheapest tires on tire rack for my vehicle have a higher speed rating than my OEM "H" tires (with same load rating).

He doesn't need to spend big $ for the tires that he doesn't use to its full potential. He can spend reasonable amount for a good tires that meet his need. The title should be: "Inexpensive Decent Tires for ..."

If I was buying the tires for X5 that I don't use off road, I would check out the Dunlop SP Sport Signature in H or V rate, price for that size is $138 from Tirerack. Another one is Yokohama AVID Envigor at $164/ea.

Can't help, as "triangle" brand down here, just in 265/7016 are $160, Coopers $325...

BUT in defence of the OP, I would rather more people drove around on cheap new tyres than wearing the last few thousandths off a brand-name.

Hope this link works, Maxxis are getting a really good rep down here.

http://www.maxxistyres.com.au/tyres.php?search=32|44|11|9&make=BMW&family=X5&year=2008&clarify=E70%20si%20Executive%20Wagon%204dr%20Steptronic%206sp%204x4%203.0i

Weve seen good results recommending the Continental ContiExtreme DWS to our customers who prefer a softer ride. Some people were disappointed when they wanted a more sporting tire, but that seems like a good fit for you. Not exactly cheap though at 213/ea on tirerack, plus shipping. Inexpensive for the quality of tire you get IMO. Sorting the list by price, Id probabl go with the Dunlop sport signatures or the Sp5000s, but they both have a shorter treadware rating. You also get what you pay for, you can see how much the reviews drop when going the inexpensive route. If this was a car you were trading in or planning on selling, Id say go cheap, but since you will be using it Id probably go with something decent.

TR is saying that you have run flats, so that means you probably do not have a spare?

In that case I would stick with run flats and go with the OE Duelers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back