GM recalling over 400,000 Chevy Cruzes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty quick to start a recall with only 2 reported/investigated cases, at least the solution is simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
Pretty quick to start a recall with only 2 reported/investigated cases, at least the solution is simple.

I actually see it as a good thing. Rather than wait like they no doubt would have in the past, just admit something is wrong and fix it.

So...CNN isn't national news??? I heard about this all the way up in Canada this morning on a local small time radio station....so this isn't international news either then?? Come on...this is the same as all the other recalls being issued for every other company out there lately I can go through threads on this forum for the past few months and every main stream company has had a recall lately...

{removed non GM topic to keep on subject}
33.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know.

The shield design is one reason I keep sucking out the oil with my MityVac come oil change time.

And, any more details on the manual transmission thing? I DON'T want the dealer monkeying with my car's manual transmission now that I've got it shifting the way I like it!

EDIT: Looks like the MT car issue is when the clutch is fully worn out and somebody keeps driving, the transmission could burp fluid onto the shield. The original shield modification supposedly takes care of that issue too.

Last edited:
I guess GM never figured their cars would ever leak oil or have worn clutches...

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I guess GM never figured their cars would ever leak oil or have worn clutches...

There are two documented incidents where sloppy dealer oil changes appeared to cause engine fires. The cars were both serviced at a dealer for an oil change, and 15 minutes later both were burning on the side of the road. Correlation? Yep. Causation? Maybe.

These engines are pretty new to leak oil...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

There are two documented incidents where sloppy dealer oil changes appeared to cause engine fires. The cars were both serviced at a dealer for an oil change, and 15 minutes later both were burning on the side of the road. Correlation? Yep. Causation? Maybe.

These engines are pretty new to leak oil...

+1 I can easily see how this happened.

The "fix" so far is hacking away 75% of the underbody tray so any spilled oil goes to the ground instead of collecting on the tray.

What a silly idea, and one that could come back to bite them in the rear end. Underbody panels are a cheap way of cleaning up an aerodynamically horrendous area of the car, and GM decided to eliminate the Cruze's. Also, it does a marvelous job of keeping road debris and salt away from the engine and transmission. And, GM spent a LOT of time/effort developing this specific panel. Eliminating it is throwing away all the benefits for nothing!

I got this car for the fuel economy, and do my own oil changes. ANYTHING that might affect the fuel economy and eliminate a designed engine bay protection feature is a big deal to me, and hacking it away since some dealer "techs" can't change oil isn't the right response!

Keep trying, GM!

Okay folks. Lets KEEP this about GM and the CRUZE recall.

Every MFG is going to have "issues" and GM is taking care of this one.

I've removed off topic bashing about other brands and bashing about GM in single word posts.
33.gif

Bill

I've owned a Cruze Eco 6MT for about 20 months and 16K miles.

Very pleased with this car, 34.5 MPG average with lots of city driving !!!!

Wow...I noticed this "problem" at my first oil change(500 miles).

Yes a little of the oil lands on the belly pan as it is draining from the engine.
Proper use of shop towel = problem solved.
grin.gif

Which raises the question:
How many oil change techs don't clean up spills after they are done?

Good day.

Rickey.

Sad that this is really a result of sloppy service and not a true defect.

On my Chrysler, which is well shrouded underneath, there are channels that lead to a central hole. Pretty simple...

So what's the deal with the clutch being involved? Are people slipping them so much that they ignite the oil? Do dry clutches actually throw sparks even with a proper aggressive start?
Or do people drive around with them slipping? How can a dry clutch last for more than a few minutes with any sort of slippage?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
So what's the deal with the clutch being involved? Are people slipping them so much that they ignite the oil? Do dry clutches actually throw sparks even with a proper aggressive start?
Or do people drive around with them slipping? How can a dry clutch last for more than a few minutes with any sort of slippage?

They're probably worried that a new manual transmission owner burns up the clutch and boils the MT fluid teaching themselves how to drive stick-shift.

It sounds like a Cruze owner could quickly drill some 1/4" holes in the lower part of the shield or catch pan and wouldn't have to wait and worry until July 11 when Gm sends out the letters to make an appointment at your earliest convenience. Then don't take it to Jiffy Lube or Grease Monkey or the dealer, if they are like many dealers. DIY and know it is done correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back