% of Zinc in oil vs PPM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the difference between parts per million (PPM) and WT% when measuring the zinc content in motor oil? For instance the zinc content in Lucas 20-50 "racing only" dino oil is expressed as: 3,132 PPM. In Valvoline NSL 20-50 synthetic its expressed as ZNWT% 0.14. Is it possible to convert the % as expressed in the Valvoline oil to PPM or PPM to WT%? Any insight appreciated.

I'm not sure if it's correct, but a rough-and-ready conversion would multiply the % value by 10,000 to get parts per million.

0.14% is 0.001400 which is 1,400 ppm. Of course, that assumes it's the same basis - weight:weight or weight:volume or whatever.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
This sounds about right. From the SAE papers I have read the API SM spec brought down the ZDDP to .08%.

...for xw-30 and xw-20 lubes.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 331mike
Whats the difference between parts per million (PPM) and WT% when measuring the zinc content in motor oil? For instance the zinc content in Lucas 20-50 "racing only" dino oil is expressed as: 3,132 PPM. In Valvoline NSL 20-50 synthetic its expressed as ZNWT% 0.14. Is it possible to convert the % as expressed in the Valvoline oil to PPM or PPM to WT%? Any insight appreciated.

This is why paying attention in school pays off in "real" life. OK OK I am giving BITOG too much credit
lol.gif

1% equals 1 part per hundred, so it also equals 10 parts per thousand, 100 parts per ten thousand, 1000 parts per hundred thousand or 10000 parts per million, so .14% is 1400 ppm - just move the decimal point and drop in zeros.

1 ppmw is 1 mg/kg of product.

You can find the density of oil and then figure it out any way you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back