Spark plug change, 2.2 Ecotec

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to hit 100k miles and time to change the spark plugs on my '04 Chevy Classic, with the 2.2 Ecotec.

Would like to do this myself to save money, but from what I've read online the plugs are placed very deep in the engine, to the point you need needle-nose pliers to get at the first one.

Anyone have experience changing plugs on an Ecotec? Can a wannabe shade-tree mechanic do this without mayhem?

Thanks.

I change spark plugs on a cobalt 2.2, its not that deep, my hyundai accent is even deeper than the cobalt. Just dont unplug any wires, just the spark plug boot covers only, dont overtorque anything, shoulb be fine.

It's not difficult at all.
I had a CEL which was cured with new plugs..... one had a greater than spec'd gap.
PS: Use the OE ACDelco plugs and make sure they are gapped right. My 2005 owners manual gap had been revised from 45" to 42".

Originally Posted By: brianl703
There are deep well sparkplug sockets. I have one I bought at Pep Boys years ago. It's about 6" long.

Yeah, I just use an extension.

Changing the spark plugs on my dad's ecotec 2.2L was easy as pie.

GM_RPO_Ecotec_2point2L_Engines.jpg

The black plastic piece that is on the valvecover holds the coils and spark plug boots. By pulling this plastic piece up you remove the boots from all plugs at once. The silver finned thing on the valvecover is a resistor pack, you might have to unplug it or remove it, depends on how your power steering and AC lines are routed.

Last edited:
I just did this on my Saturn and it is real easy. Regular spark plug socket on a long extension is all it takes. Stick to the original spark plugs, I actually used Denso plugs in mine about 15k ago and it ran fine but I lost almost 5 mpg. Nothing wrong with those plugs but maybe they were not the correct heat range. I decided to get a new set of the OEM plugs and the fuel economy is back. Never had this issue before in any car but in this one it seems that it made a difference. Just a heads up so you do not regret getting different plugs for yours. As always check gap to make sure it is correct before installing them. If you get the original Iridium plugs for it then you will be good for another 100K.

Oh yeah, you're also definitely going to want to use anti-seize on the threads and dielectric grease on the boots. If you don't have them don't change the plugs until you do.

i use my little magnet wand thing it was like 2 bucks. so if by chance the socket doesn't grab the plug i stick the magnet in and itll get super easy job it will take less than 30 mins don't tighten them much. just snug and use anti seize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back