Lucas products with synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys I know there has been "bashing" on additives, but I have had too many people who have used these Lucas additives with great resutls to pass up trying them as preventive medicicine.

97 Nissan Pathfinder. Right now I have 4 qts of Mobil 1 15w50. I don't buy the theory that to thick is more wear, just doesn't make sense. Keep in mind these are just my opinions. Too the Mobil 1, I added about 6 oz of Lucas oil stabalizer.

In the Transmission I have Castrol Dextron 111/Mercon. To that I have added some Lucas Transmission treatment.

Here is where I noticed a great inmprovment. In the front and rear differentials, I dumped and refilled with Lucas 80w90 gear fluid, which exceeds GL 5. I noticed Bob did a test with the gears, where he added the oil stabalizer which I realize it can be added to any mineral or synthetic fluid, however he did not indicate that he used the gear lube which is a seperate prodcut from their normal stabalizer.

Power steering I siphon out old fluid and added Valvoline semi synthetic power steering fluid with a bottle of Lube Guard which I have heard great results with .

In the brake, I replaced with Valvoline synpower brake fluid.

Now, tell me, I realize that opinions are like, well you know what, but what would you change if anything. Vehicle is running great. at 113,000 miles.

PS.. Also, I went to the Nissan dealer and started using the OEM Nissan oil filter at a charge of $5.89 Thanks Frank

Like I said, for every post that says somthing bad about "Additives", I can find hundereds of Testomonials on the Lucas site.

1) You're always best served to use the oil that contains everything your engine needs. No aftermarket additives do anything good for top quality oil of the correct spec for your engine. Save your money and stick to the Mobil 1 alone.

2) The viscosity of the oil you need depends on the temperature it'll run at and the bearing clearances in the engine--larger clearances require bigger oil molecules which comes from higher viscosity oil (oversimplifying, but you get the idea). I've run a 57,000 hp diesel engine with SAE 30 oil in the crankcase, 'cuz that's what the manufacturer spec'd.

If you're racing your Pathfinder in the summer, 15w-50 is probably OK. If not, you'll likely get lower engine wear from 10W-30 in the summer and 5W-30 in the winter.

Ken

I have tried Lucas product my self. I never realy saw any thing to get excited about with lucas. If the engine was in need of overhaul then yes it would thicken up the oil and stop some smokeing or valve train noise. It did not do anything to fix the problem. I doubt that it does anything to prevent any wear and tear either. If you need more moly, antimony or boron I can see some sweetening of an oil. The ingredients in Lucas are a step backwards compared to modern synthetics. You basicly dumbing higly treated wax with some calcium and maybe a few other ingredients into the oil. I have never seen anyone suffer any type of damage that could be attributed to the Lucas but my clientel when I was a tech. was not really the Lucas crowd!!

By the way,

There hopefully will be new posts with statistical data UOA wise soon.

IMO the BG MOA additive is good with Mobil 1 as it makes up for the lack of Zinc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back