Using MaxLife ATF as Mercon V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to see whether that make sense or not. It seems like at least for Valvoline the MaxLife is suitable and is a lower viscosity "synthetic" where as its Mercon V is not (based on its info sheet as well as the VI).

Any reason to or not to? It is for a 01 Taurus with 90k miles.

I don't think MaxLife ATF meets Mercon V requirements. Perhaps it used to be Mercon V compatible, but not any longer. Yes, the web site and the PDF spec sheet says that it is compatible with Mercon V, but the back of the bottle does not say this. Moreover, the bottle says that among other things, MaxLife is Mercon LV compatible. I head heard somewhere that Mercon V and Mercon LV requirements are mutually incompatible. Finally, if you look at the viscosity spec of Maxlife at 100C, it's below 7cst. Every real Mercon V fluid has this spec above 7cst. MaxLife ATF seems like a great value and no doubt a good ATF, being a synthetic fluid, but I would think twice before putting it into a transmission that requires Mercon V.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zako2
Yes, the web site and the PDF spec sheet says that it is compatible with Mercon V, but the back of the bottle does not say this.

Perhaps they ran out of space on the back of the bottle, with all the claims they list.
wink.gif

I don't think MaxLife ATF meets Mercon V requirements. Perhaps it used to be Mercon V compatible, but not any longer. Yes, the web site and the PDF spec sheet says that it is compatible with Mercon V, but the back of the bottle does not say this. Moreover, the bottle says that among other things, MaxLife is Mercon LV compatible. I head heard somewhere that Mercon V and Mercon LV requirements are mutually incompatible. Finally, if you look at the viscosity spec of Maxlife at 100C, it's below 7cst. Every real Mercon V fluid has this spec above 7cst. MaxLife ATF seems like a great value and no doubt a good ATF, being a synthetic fluid, but I would think twice before putting it into a transmission that requires Mercon V.

I actually went to my garage and some how pick up a quart of maxlife dex/mer and it say in the back " can be use where mercon V is require "

Use it with confidence. It is a great ATF and works well in Merc V applications. Have used it in friend's Fords for some time and they noticed a better shift versus factory Merc V

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

I actually went to my garage and some how pick up a quart of maxlife dex/mer and it say in the back " can be use where mercon V is require "

Well, then that must be the old formula. Beware of all those comments that Maxlife worked for them for years. The one I saw sold at Advance Auto Parts no longer claims compatibility with Mercon V. Like I said, it seems like there was a change recently. Unless the back of bottle itself claims Mercon V compatibility, I would not use that in a Ford transmission that requires Mercon V. It seems like the web site description lags the actual product sold in stores.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Use it with confidence. It is a great ATF and works well in Merc V applications. Have used it in friend's Fords for some time and they noticed a better shift versus factory Merc V

+1

I was petrified to use it in 2010 Nissan Armada as I heard theose tranny's are durable but finicky and prone to shudder. Says Matic J n S cmpatible on my bottles. Called Valvoline anyway, they confirmed A-ok for that trans. While I had them on the line asked about using in place of Mercon V for F-150. Again, received the positive nod!

It's been great in my 17 year old Camry, and the Armada. Will be draining and filling my oversive pan (7qts) in the F-150 in a few months.

I had Maxlife in my daughter's 2004 Sable. It developed a delayed and hard shift from 1st to 2nd. It also had a bump when going in reverse. I changed to Mercon V (which it calls for)and it now shifts fine. I became a believer in using what the transmission is spec'd for.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

Well, then that must be the old formula. Beware of all those comments that Maxlife worked for them for years. The one I saw sold at Advance Auto Parts no longer claims compatibility with Mercon V. Like I said, it seems like there was a change recently. Unless the back of bottle itself claims Mercon V compatibility, I would not use that in a Ford transmission that requires Mercon V. It seems like the web site description lags the actual product sold in stores.

You are correct. No Mercon V listed on Recommended for use list on current jug, just Mercon LV. If I were the OP, have to pass on ML for Mercon V application.

That said, it's now MaxLife for me in two Hondas and a Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: Mark_S

I had Maxlife in my daughter's 2004 Sable. It developed a delayed and hard shift from 1st to 2nd. It also had a bump when going in reverse. I changed to Mercon V (which it calls for)and it now shifts fine. I became a believer in using what the transmission is spec'd for.

Thanks. I guess unless I have the older Maxlife I should not use it.

I currently run it in my 2002 Taurus, My sister's 2004 Taurus, My F-150 and my Wife's Nissan Xterra.
They all seem to like it. I've run it for several years in many vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back