GUMOUT Complete Fuel System Cleaner for SUVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvq

Picked up a bottle of GUMOUT Complete Fuel System Cleaner for SUVs, 4x4 and trucks at WalMart for about 6 bucks. Supposedly treats up to 35 gallons of fuel. It then occured to me that before I put it in I should see here if anyone has used this product and if so what were the results? I also want to be sure it will not harm my Ford 4.0L SOHC engine. The ingredients are not on the bottle so I don't know whats in this product. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It is Generally accepted the Nutra or Techron are the only few fuel additive products that actually work and/or do not cause harm to fuel lines ECT.. I used STP fule treatment for years in a old Mercury Cougar with a carb. I never saw any problems but i really dont know if it did anything. I have also used gumout and Valvoline fuel cleaner with no known problems. Techron goes in the saturns and seems to do well again though no problems but no noticable increase in anything either. Course if the system is clean to begin with you will notice no change.

Gumout has been around a long time and I feel that it's generally well regarded. Interesting that they market to all the different slices of the auto market..."for SUVs, 4x4 and trucks."

Gumout is owned by the same folks that bring us Slick50...and Pennzoil and Quaker State's fine products (Royal/Dutch Shell).

Ken

If the reason your are being skeptical is because of Slick 50, please don't be. Gumout was making fuel additives long before there ever was a Slick 50. Pennzoil owned Gumout long before we bought Quaker State who owned Slick 50. Believe me, I don't like Slick 50 any better than you do. As a matter of fact, Shell is looking to sell it. The only reason the bottle purchased says anything about SUV'S etc, is because the size of the bottle. We make the same product in a smaller bottle, but it only treats 20 gallons of fuel. Most larger truck and SUV'S have 25 to 33 gallon fuel tanks and this bottle will treat them. I use this product in my wife's VW van at the rate of one bottle every oil change, which is 5,000 miles. It's a good product and will serve you well.

Johnny, I have some questions for you. You work for Pennzoil-Quaker State, right? I used to use Pennzoil and Quaker State all the time. But there never seems to be any information about Quaker State. How does Quaker State compare with Pennzoil? I know that Quaker State used to sell a synthetic oil in Europe. Any possibility that Quaker State will sell the same synthetic oil that it sells in Europe in the USA, just like Castrol is selling a made in Germany Castrol in the USA? I have owned Saturns the past few years and I know that Quaker State was the oil put in the Saturns at the factory. There must have been a reason why Saturn choose to use Quaker State.

Someone wrote:

quote:

It is Generally accepted the Nutra (sic) or Techron are the only few fuel additive products that actually work and/or do not cause harm to fuel lines ECT

I'm sure there are a few other that work too
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 94 saturn sl1 2000 saturn sc2:
It is Generally accepted the Nutra or Techron are the only few fuel additive products that actually work and/or do not cause harm to fuel lines ECT..

I have a good friend who is a Service Manager at a GM dealership. He told me that in the past, GM used to discourage the routine use of fuel system cleaners. He said they are now encouraging it and claimed their testing shows only 1 (other than their own, of course) that works well...and that is BG44K. I did a little research on line and BG44K is used by a ton of auto dealers of many brands, both domestic and imports. It supposedly has the same active ingredient as Techron, except 3 times as strong (probably why it costs 3 times as much). I ordered 3 bottles online from a Toyota dealer in Texas. I think you have to include BG 44K on any list of fuel system cleaners that work.

Volvo also advises against any additives oil or fuel. Yet my dealer uses BG-44K and a BG oil conditioner for routine services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back