CVT Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might want to Goggle this but, basically has an infinite number of usable ratios. It does not shift gears as in a normal transmission.

Go and drive it and watch the tach when you accelerate. I had my first experience with one when I rented a 2012 Altima on a vacation last month. It was a real trip to watch that thing hold steady.

I'm currently driving a 2012 Altima rental. It has the 2.x with the CVT. I like it. In fact, I like it a whole bunch more than the modern 6 speed auto's that upshift into an unusable gear right away, only to downshift 3 cogs after rounding the corner.

The CVT is a seamless and smooth way to achieve excellent response, good power and good MPG's.

In fact, Nissan has increased the gear ratio capability of some of the CVT's for 2013. That's good, as the Altima turns 2100 at highway speeds and probably could turn a bit less.

Also, they have a very positive reliability record. The Altima I'm currently renting has nearly 50K on the clock and still drives perfectly.

A friend of mine was all set on a new Infiniti JX35 (Murano stretched). Nice interior, nice body and paint, loaded, good price.
Then he saw CVT transmission. That killed the deal right there at any price.
Fluid is very expensive and needs 30K service intervals, hard to work on and problematic going by what's being posted about them.

After reading about them i wouldn't want it either.
Too bad they ruined a good drive train, the VQ is a good engine and so is the normal automatic.

Have one in my Outlander and have had no problems with it. Jatco makes the CVT's for both Nissan and Mitsubishi. To me the only difference I noticed was no shift shock.

I never owned one and probably never will but a google of Nissan CVT problems comes up with a lot of problems, a lot more than the usual complaining.

had my doubts too before buying a 2012 subaru outback, but after much forum research i found no issues reports whatsoever for the last 3 years since they started producing them. the cvt works great for me, its not a powerhouse but getting 27mpg around town has been a great bonus.

My girlfriend has a Rogue and it's my first and only experience with a CVT. It's a fantastic unit. I think CVTs are great. They make conventional automatics seem primitive and kind of obsolete. From what I've read, it's pretty easy to service.

Almost all hybrids use the CVT. I have a new Lincoln hybrid, change interval on the fluid is 100,000 but could be sooner. No more expensive to flush then a normal transmission. Early versions had problems, Subaru, Escape but newer ones seem to do fine. The RPMs are relatively constant and no shift points are noted as in normal gear changes.

I would not stay away from any car just because it has a CVT.

The CVT has been around for many decades. A lot of old Cushman golf carts use it. The John Deere Gator uses it. Basically think of it as a belt driven vehicle with two pulleys. When you want to go faster, the drive pulley increases in size and the driven pulley decreases in size. My mom's Ford 500 has a CVT. It's my understanding that when it needs repair, the local Ford techs simply put in a reman. Overhauls are not done locally.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
My girlfriend has a Rogue and it's my first and only experience with a CVT. It's a fantastic unit. I think CVTs are great. They make conventional automatics seem primitive and kind of obsolete. From what I've read, it's pretty easy to service.

I agree... I have a 2012 Rogue and I love the CVT. I do not understand why anybody would want a reg auto. It does seem primitive!

It is a great transmission for engines of about 3.0 and less. The Murano coupled too much torque to it and had problems. The newer Muranos have a torodial CVT that uses wheels instead of belts. much stronger, but needs a very special traction fluid.

My wife's Outlander is CVT and I like it.

The entire CVT is essentially a single part if something goes wrong. It simply gets swapped out with a rebuild if something goes arry. I am guessing pretty expensive out of warranty.

It's my understanding that the steel belt can be changed rather easily. In fact, most mechanics consider it a DIY procedure.

The main problem with them is putting in the wrong oil. If the steel belt starts slipping, it destroys the pulleys too.

We have two Prii with CVTs. It takes some getting used to, but the power delivery is smooth. No shifting.

There are no belts in the CVTs in ours. Gears only.

I'm changing the fluid in the '09 this weekend. 4 qts at approx $7 each. Not a big deal, I think.

If i understand this correctly it would seem these units are not really suited to larger engines in large vehicles.
I did notice similar nissan vehicles with the VQ3.5 without CVT have over 5,000lb towing capacity yet the JX while being larger only has 3,800lb.

Seeing this is the first year for this vehicle and this type of transmission in this car i think my friend made a wise decision passing on this car because of it.
Whats your opinion Widman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back