Mobil 1 Peak Life 5W-50, BMW E39 540iA, 17762 km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All,

Please find below the results of the latest and the previous (LM Top Tec 5W-40, BMW E39 540iA, 7200 km) oil analyses for my BMW.

During this oil change interval I always used 100 % E85 fuel. The base number of the fresh oil reference of the Mobil 1 Peak Life 5W-50, by the way, is 12.00 mgKOH/g, as stated by an engineer of OELCHECK GmbH.

Based on these latest results I would assume, that 20000 km (12500 miles) should not be any problem with this oil. The reason why I added the VI improver after 12500 km was an experiment regarding the VANOS operation, whether it would improve if the oil was thicker at high temperatures ...

What are your opinions?

Philipp

Code:

REPORT #2:

Subject : Mobil 1 Peak Life 5W-50, BMW E39 540iA, 17762 km (oil), 77812 km (total)

Machine : M62B44TU (E39 540iA, YoC 2002)

Oil : Mobil 1 Peak Life 5W-50

Additive : Wynn's Oil Stop Leak (as sealant maintenance)

Additive : Liqui Moly Visco-Stabil (VI improver) (added after 12500 km usage)

Oil Usage : 4 month

Comments : [of the engineer performing the analyses]

The values of wear are within normal range.

The base number BN is slightly lower compared to the fresh oil reference.

All other values are within normal or expected range.

REPORT #1:

Subject : LM Top Tec 5W-40, BMW E39 540iA, 7200 km (oil), 60050 km (total)

Machine : M62B44TU (E39 540iA, YoC 2002)

Oil : Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 5W-40

Additive : Wynn's Oil Stop Leak (as sealant maintenance)

Oil Usage : 5 month

Comments : [of the engineer performing the analyses]

The values of wear metals have risen only slightly.

This low wear is within the normal range.

The values of additives differ from the values of the fresh oil reference in our database.

The fuel content is negligible and is below the detection limit.

REPORT #2 #1

CURRENT PREVIOUS

WEAR

Iron Fe mg/kg 17 15

Chromium Cr mg/kg 0 1

Tin Sn mg/kg 0 2

Aluminium Al mg/kg 3 3

Nickel Ni mg/kg 0 0

Copper Cu mg/kg 13 6

Lead Pb mg/kg 3 3

Manganese Mn mg/kg - 1

PQ-Index - 26 OK

CONTAMINATION

Silicon Si mg/kg 10 15

Potassium K mg/kg 2 1

Sodium Na mg/kg 7 0

Water % < 0.10 < 0.10

IR-Glykol - negativ negativ

Fuel % < 0.30 < 0.30

OIL CONDITION

Viscosity @ 40°C mm²/s 110.95 80.50

Viscosity @ 100°C mm²/s 16.90 13.43

Viscosity Index - 166 170

Oxidation A/cm 11 18

Nitration A/cm 9 8

Sulfation A/cm 5 9

Dispersing Power % 97 92

ADDITIVES

Calzium Ca mg/kg 2703 2179

Magnesium Mg mg/kg 94 249

Boron B mg/kg 34 32

Zinc Zn mg/kg 1072 1009

Phosphorus P mg/kg 821 826

Barium Ba mg/kg 0 0

Molybdenum Mo mg/kg 61 2

Sulfur S mg/kg 2482 3420

ADDITIONAL TESTS

BN mgKOH/g 8.00 7.27

What's a PQ-Index?

Overall, I think this is a great report. What kind of driving do you do? Is it mostly highway? How long (in months) was the oil in service?

The PQ-Index is explained here: What exactly is the PQ index, ...

I am always warming up the engine thoroughly, never leaving the engine half way to its normal operating temperature. When the engine is heated up properly, i.e. the coolant temperature is at its maximum and I am convinced that the oil has reached a suitable temperature, it is mostly pushed to the limits: full throttle, up to 6000 RPM
smile.gif
The kind of driving is mostly highway - I would assume at least 50 %.

The oil was in use for slightly more than 4 month (17762 km or 11036 miles, respectively)?!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pinky
I am always warming up the engine thoroughly, never leaving the engine half way to its normal operating temperature. When the engine is heated up properly, i.e. the coolant temperature is at its maximum and I am convinced that the oil has reached a suitable temperature, it is mostly pushed to the limits: full throttle, up to 6000 RPM
smile.gif
The kind of driving is mostly highway - I would assume at least 50 %.

The oil was in use for slightly more than 4 month (17762 km or 11036 miles, respectively)?!

Thx for this report! Good and strong oil for high performance cars!!
Excellent driving habit - my satisfayctory level also 100% with this oil.
(Just 1 minor remark: I would avoid from any 'mystery' additives.)

No need for ANY additives. Really, this is a stout oil! Just add oil as necessary and drive it to 25k or more. All those easy highway miles put very little stress on the oil and engine.

Actually, adding Wynn's as a sealant maintainance goes back to advices of a Mercedes engine developper who was very active some years ago in a popular German forum with respect to topics about internal combustion engines and lubricants and lubrication. Thus, at least from what I have learned about this additive, I would not call it mysterious
wink.gif
As it is orthogonal to the oil itself, i.e. not interacting with any of its properties, I apply it with every oil change ... also helping the VANOS o-rings and sealings to maintain its proper condition ...
I am not sure about the VI improver, though. But I agree with you that the the 5W-50 is an excellent oil, which does not need any of it?!

The PQ-Index is explained here:

Nice pictures of the analysis equipment. I find it a bit ironic that they use a piece of equipment called the "ANALEXrobot R19" for our OCD practices.
wink.gif

...I am not sure about the VI improver, though. But I agree with you that the the 5W-50 is an excellent oil, which does not need any of it?!

You're s lucky, because - I guess - BMW oil sump is not 4 quarts (like SAAB), but at least 6. If the crankcase ventilation system fine - no factory failure (like SAAB pre-MY06) - and the oil cooler has water cooling - not like SAAB 4 cyl - you can use the oil for long drain intervals without any sludge and/or baked oil risks - not like SAAB
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zoli
You're s lucky, because - I guess - BMW oil sump is not 4 quarts (like SAAB), but at least 6.

I think it's actually 8 quarts in his case.

Quote:
If the crankcase ventilation system fine - no factory failure (like SAAB pre-MY06) - and the oil cooler has water cooling - not like SAAB 4 cyl - you can use the oil for long drain intervals without any sludge and/or baked oil risks - not like SAAB
grin.gif

My E39 has 7 quarts sump, and after only 6K miles, the oil did not look so good... the lab considered the sample "abnormal" due to TAN exceeding TBN and hence they recommended the oil be changed already. I think it goes back to driving patterns, which is why I asked OP about his time in service. My interval was 16 months as opposed to his 4 months. So, I think time is a big factor, even if you do get your oil properly warmed up most of the time.

Actually, adding Wynn's as a sealant maintainance goes back to advices of a Mercedes engine developper who was very active some years ago in a popular German forum with respect to topics about internal combustion engines and lubricants and lubrication. Thus, at least from what I have learned about this additive, I would not call it mysterious
wink.gif
As it is orthogonal to the oil itself, i.e. not interacting with any of its properties, I apply it with every oil change ... also helping the VANOS o-rings and sealings to maintain its proper condition.

Sounds interesting: recommended by MB engineer!
How much Wynn's did you put in?

Here is the original quote (one of, actually) where Sterndocktor mentions Wynn's Engine Stop Oil Leak: Welches Motoröl.
Basically he says, that ... no additional additives are necessary except for one, which is a good maintainance product for elastomer sealings ...

In contrast, the information that he is a mercedes engineer is very hard to find ... I think it took me several weeks crawling through all the posts he made ...

I always use one to two tins with every oil change?!

Last edited:
Here is the original quote (one of, actually) where Sterndocktor mentions Wynn's Engine Stop Oil Leak:

Bei den hier empf. Motorölen sind "Sonderzusätze" weder nötig u. auch nicht sinnvoll!

Einzige Ausnahme:

Bei Bedarf ein gutes Pflegemittel für die Elastomer-Dichtungen, falls die schon etwas ausgetrocknet u. hart sind - weil man bisher immer einfachere Öle verwendet hatte.
Wenn dann aber nur solche, welche NUR Pflegemittel enthalten u. sich ansonsten neutral verhalten - also so etwas, wie z. B. das empf. "Ölleckstop" von Wynns.
Und KEINEN so zähen "Honig", welche vor allem aus VI-Verb. bestehen - wie z. B. das "Ölverlust-Stop" v. Liqui Moly.'

'In the here recommended. Engine oils are "special additives" not necessary and does not make sense!
The only exception:
If necessary, a good care products for elastomer seals, if the are a bit dry and hard - because you had previously used oils ever simpler.
When, however, only those who ONLY care products contain and otherwise remain neutral - that is such a thing, such as the rec. "Oil Leak Stop" by Wynn.
And so lasting NO "honey", which mainly from VI-verb. exist - such as the "Oil Leak Stop" by Liqui Moly '.

The PQ-Index exceeds the iron significantly so the iron wear particles are on the large end of the spectrum and iron reading are probably underestimated accordingly. Still, it's a decent UOA.

Originally Posted By: JAG
The PQ-Index exceeds the iron significantly so the iron wear particles are on the large end of the spectrum and iron reading are probably underestimated accordingly. Still, it's a decent UOA.

According to an OELCHECK engineer every value below or equal to 25 is interpreted as noise of the measurement and thus declared as "OK", e.g. as in the previous analysis. Thus, I would argue that the PQ index of the current analysis is basically ok, since the value of first one could have been near 25 already?!
I am really curious about the next analysis in 20000 km?!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JAG

According to an OELCHECK engineer every value below or equal to 25 is interpreted as noise of the measurement and thus declared as "OK", e.g. as in the previous analysis. Thus, I would argue that the PQ index of the current analysis is basically ok, since the value of first one could have been near 25 already?!
I am really curious about the next analysis in 20000 km?!
smile.gif

Ok I see that now. Yeah it's barely above noise level. It's a great test to have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back