New Honda CR-V oil filter recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 2012 CR-V. Just curious what the consensus is as to the oil filter. I've logged into auto zone and advance auto, and I really don't feel like using a Mobil 1 oil filter. Perhaps Purolator? I haven't seen any recommendations for the 2012 on the pure oil site yet. Any suggestions?

If its the same engine as the 2011, Your car would use the Purolator L14610, or just search for 2011 im sure those filters could be used on the 2012's

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I say grab a 5qt jug of PYB and a purolator classic filter at Wally world. Enjoy the new car!

The Factory Fill / recommended oil to be used by Honda is a Synthetic-blend, in order to go 6-9k mile OCIs as suggested by the MM based on the driving style / conditions.

Why go cheap on a BRAND NEW $20,000+ car by using conventional oil and a cheap oil filter?

Also, keep in mind that Honda recommends that you use the oil filter for 2x intervals (up to 15-20k miles) as per the MM and owners manual.

^Based on this, i recommend a GOOD oil filter, such as Mobil 1, which you can use for 2x intervals and get AWESOME oil filtration at the same time. Because of this, the cost of it will be covered 50% making it a good deal.

If you buy them while they're on sale at AAP + discount code and stock up by getting 4-5 filters, it comes out to roughly $6 per filter. Using them up to their full potential (15k miles) results in a VERY GOOD DEAL at the end of the day.

Just my
49.gif

35.gif

I use the Purolator l14610 on the wife's 09 CRV. some other the cheaper brands use a shorter filter and it is hard to get a filter wrench around those.

If you elect to follow the "change filter every other oil change", then I would suggest going with a Mobil 1 or Bosch D+. If you are looking to change the filter at every oil change, a Pure One would be a good choice.

Honda requires 2012s to go with 0W20 and follow the MM. Good luck and congratulations on the new ride.

Biggest concern about going for long intervals in a k series would be to keep an eye on oil consumption. Both of mine use a little, even the new one, which I think is pretty similar to the CR-V's save the high compression. But regarding type of oil and interval, that's going to be whatever lets you sleep at night. I've slept fine for 10 yrs w/ my CR-V throwing whatever's lying around in it and changing it once or twice a year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back