New String Trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best worst ever used my 12 year old Stihl has given me great use but time for a new one. I love my Stihl but might look at other brands I will spend money but $400.00 tops. Straight shaft heavy abuse on the farm .095 line min. 2stroke 4stroke don't matter. I have looked at many and want to hear from others good bad or other.
I do have my eye on a Tanaka TBC-280PF.

Get the Shindaiwa T242 or T222 if still available. I own one and I look forward to using it every time. Work is not work, it is having fun; puts a smile on my face every time. Starts up every time on the first pull, gobs of torque and almost feels like a 4 stroke. Steel shaft drive and very smooth. These have a reputation among the commercial guys as their dream machine with its reputation for reliability. I've seen these used to clear the jungles in South America. You can find support now under the Echo brand, but these are not Echos and will put that brand to shame. I bought my T222 for $240. The T242 goes probably for about $60 more.

My Stihl has been powerful and reliable (don't let it sit with 10% ethanol in it...twice, I've had to clean the carb of gunk from E10...but mine sees infrequent use) and I would recommend Stihl in a heartbeat. However, my neighbor, who runs a landscaping company, uses only Shindaiwa and swears by them.

It's generally a good idea to go with what the pros recommend, but I think in your case, I would also consider support; what does your local dealer stock? I live within a few miles of the Stihl factory - I can get every part and the local guy with whom I deal has been great.

Last edited:
I have a new stihl curved shaft 2-stroke and it is really nice to use. Starts in a couple pulls and gets alot of use from a tank. The winterizing is awesome with the new stihls. Just run it out of fuel and put if away. 2 year warranty and cost me just over 100$ It is a smaller one but i have never come across a time where i needed a bigger one. im a home user with light commercial use.

I have an SRM-230, about 8 months old, and love it.

It is really hard to go wrong with Echo/Shindaiwa, or Stihl. Only thing that bothers me about Stihl is their dealer network. Love dealers, but if I need a part NOW, I have to wait until a Monday to go to the dealer instead of picking up common parts at any number of retail stores, same for my chainsaw choice (CS-450).

My neighbor at the end of the block has a landscaping business. He uses Stihl and Echo, no complaints on either.

All of the new 2 strokes are set really lean due to cat converters. Nothing wrong with going a bit rich on the oil to break them in, or riching up the fuel mixture. I have heard a couple of sob stories about new saws, long duration cuts, 50-1 oils mixes and galled pistons.

I have the Echo SRM-230 also and love it. I live in California and mine has a non-adjustable carb. I use Tru-Fuel 40-1 and so far no problems at all. Starts and runs great!!

Good stuff my old stihl would be wide open for full fuel tanks at a time no let up go and go and go really want to hear from any Tanaka or Kaw users. would look at a Shindaiwa also.

Originally Posted By: modularv8
Get the Shindaiwa T242 or T222 if still available. I own one and I look forward to using it every time. Work is not work, it is having fun; puts a smile on my face every time. Starts up every time on the first pull, gobs of torque and almost feels like a 4 stroke. Steel shaft drive and very smooth. These have a reputation among the commercial guys as their dream machine with its reputation for reliability. I've seen these used to clear the jungles in South America. You can find support now under the Echo brand, but these are not Echos and will put that brand to shame. I bought my T222 for $240. The T242 goes probably for about $60 more.

I like this will look at for sure how is the string head to restring the Stihl I could do in my sleep.

Re-stringing it is a breeze. Put the string through a hole in the head, pull through to an equal length, then turn the to wind up. Takes about 45 seconds.

I own 3 Stihls, 2 Shindiawas, and 1 Echo. Everything from blowers to weed wackers to chain saws. They are all good for the most part. However, If I had to rate them I would give Shindiawa the best grade. They are the best starting, running 2 strokes I have ever owned. My old T230 weed wacker has never had a spark plug put in it after 12 years of abuse. Never ever had a single issue with a Shindy. I cant say that about the rest. You probably cant go wrong with any of them but my vote is for Shiniawa if they are as good as they used to be.

The new Shindaiwa T282 doesn't quite measure with balance versus the older T272. Weight wise they're almost identical but with the new tech for EPA'S emission control, they sound different and feel more boxy in my opinion. I'd opt for the older 2 stroke Shindaiwa trimmer. The Shindaiwa has always been very reliable, but the new engines today run much hotter, maintenance wise makes sure the correct spark plugs(heat range & quality too) are up to date. This also applies to the Echo brand from my understanding.

I have no experience with the Tanaka brand but something I always do like is weight and balance. It's why for personal reason one needs to physical handle the trimmer and get a feel for it. Something to heavy may lacks finesse in tighter trimming or if one operates it's for long period of time the trimmer may become tiresome as a chore rather to have a sense of enjoyment operating a small engine equipment.

The Tanaka weighs 12.8 lbs with a 27 cc engine. That maybe a plus in you application.

That is a good point (old vs new). The 2 strokes made within the last few years, with cat converters and leaner mixes, have more problems IMHO. Harder to start, off idle bogs, lack of power at WOT etc. My Echo dealer can adjust the carb (off the books) and his tech swears its night and day difference in the way the saw runs.

It is not just performance, but what about lubrication? Lean gas mixture, with 50-1 oil ratios make me a bit paranoid. Gotta remember that when you lean your fuel mix, you are also cutting down your engine lube as well.

my dad bought a tanaka brand new back in 83, had the "handle bars" on it and he used to hang it form a shoulder harness. Thing worked awesome, and still runs to this day. It did always give him trouble starting it the first time of the season, but I don't know if this was due to him not draining the fuel at the end of the season or if it was just the nature of the beast, but after using the first time of the season, it would never give him trouble after that. Thing is built like a tank and he used to even use a 10in. (I think) saw blade on the end of it to cut small saplings down as we had a lot of brush to maintane. I don't know how the newer ones are built, but that thing still impresses me. He used to take it in to the shop for repairs before he passed away and they used to laugh because the thing was so old:) He bought Stihl's smallest straight shaft model a few years ago just for simple yard work and liked it for the most part but felt it was a little underpowered.

Originally Posted By: punisher
That is a good point (old vs new). The 2 strokes made within the last few years, with cat converters and leaner mixes, have more problems IMHO. Harder to start, off idle bogs, lack of power at WOT etc. My Echo dealer can adjust the carb (off the books) and his tech swears its night and day difference in the way the saw runs.

It is not just performance, but what about lubrication? Lean gas mixture, with 50-1 oil ratios make me a bit paranoid. Gotta remember that when you lean your fuel mix, you are also cutting down your engine lube as well.

Good point yes I do notice the new Shindaiwa just ain't up in the WOT like the older ones, something is holding it back. The newer one just doesn't have that personal feeling to it, kind of bland like you want to give it slap or something just ain't kicking like the older models.

No kidding on the spark plugs, Echo did test it's newer EPA engines using a lower heat range spark plug and it ran fine. You wouldn't have known any difference in performance BUT it also lowered the longevity of the engine by a large margin.

The newer (EPA) engines are running hotter...my guess will it last as long as the older ones... time will tell but my guess it won't(opinion).

You do make a point...a hotter engine I wouldn't mess to much on the 2 stroke mixture ratio. If anything I would tend to increase the 2 stroke mixture rather to decrease it.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Good stuff my old stihl would be wide open for full fuel tanks at a time no let up go and go and go really want to hear from any Tanaka or Kaw users. would look at a Shindaiwa also.

The Maruyama trimmers with the Kawasaki engine has good weight balance ratio. But they lack low end torque, took longer for hard jobs on a commercial level from feedbacks. Longevity seems a good plus for the Kawa engines but overall the Shindaiwa are built more solid for heavy duty work.

Thanks to all looked at alot of them did go with the Tanaka TBC 280pf on line no shipping or tax $349.00 now what to run I have Amsoil mixed for my saws 50:1 might break in with trufuel 50:1 for a tank or two. I will report back on how it holds up it will take a beating for sure.

Arrived today 5min set up 2 pulls of the rope and running good power on the bottem end but awesome power from mid to WOT. Most of my work is at WOT and is very smooth. Book says mix can be from 25:1 to 50:1 running Amsoil saber at 50:1 and seems to love it. Ran about a tank and a half and was not easy on it but at 93F outside I had enough happy so far as out of the box performance but we will see years to come.

Dave, I mail-ordered a Tanaka chain-saw about 2yrs ago. A small top handled limbing saw. Love it. They make a powerful little 2-stroke for sure.

Joel

i use a shindaiwa t260 trimmer but Tanaka are good machines i have the 210s hedgetrimmer and recently brought the Hitachi RB24EAP blower (tanaka by another name
smile.gif
)best handheld blower I've owned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back