ford escape transmission cd4e failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
i went to drive the car and the car SLIPS horribly in "D"
However, when the transmission is put in "1" or "2" there is no slipping and it picks up perfectly.
Anyone know why it slips severely in D, but there is no slipping in "1" or "2"?
Also, how much do you think i can sell this car for in its current condition?

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
sounds like a solenoid

+1

In answer to the OP's question about selling it. I would take the value of the car based on the year, miles, and condition [since you didn't mention it] and subtract the cost of a shop installing a transmission if I was considering buying it. Solenoid or not, I'd figure worst case and base my offer on that. Anyone buying that car thinking best case would be making a mistake, and would be the person you should sell it to. JMO

3rd gear is a different clutch pack.Each has its own.Sounds like mechanical wear.If not,the slippage has ruined the friction clutches in that pack anyway.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
3rd gear is a different clutch pack.Each has its own.Sounds like mechanical wear.If not,the slippage has ruined the friction clutches in that pack anyway.

im thinking this too...

what do solenoids do?

2002 ford escape 160k miles. 1 owner. never in an accident.

well if you put it in drive it would be using 1 and 2 so why would it slip in drive but not 1 or 2?

your description needs more details

My father in law had to replace the transmission in his 09 Escape, the transmission was slipping and rough shifting, but he had tje extended warranty so they put a new one, but still fells kind a shaky when climbing a hill when downshifting. Its a common problem on Escapes, depending the year.

Originally Posted By: Rand
well if you put it in drive it would be using 1 and 2 so why would it slip in drive but not 1 or 2?

ask me questions, maybe i can describe more

thats all i observed during the 10 minutes i drove it.

it might not be slipping in drive, just starting out in 3rd gear(because of a failed solenoid). the clue is having first gear when you manually switch to first.

Last edited:
I don't know details about this particular transmission, but putting the range selector in 2 or 1 not only prevents upshifts to 3rd or above, but usually also engages a clutch to disable the overrun mechanism that is used when the transmission is in a low gear while the range selector is in D.

To me that suggests an additional clutch (and solenoid? to control the hydraulics) are activated in 2 and 1 compared to D. It seems that this addition bypasses the failure experienced in D.

Does that point to something in particular? I am not a pro in this field, just writing what came to mind.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike

it might not be slipping in drive, just starting out in 3rd gear(because of a failed solenoid). the clue is having first gear when you manually switch to first.

that's a good explanation. i will look into the solenoid. is there a way to test if the solenoid is good/bad?

no error codes were thrown, well no lights atleast. im going to plug in my obd2 readers. Don't solenoids throw codes?

If anyone has any more insight regarding this transmission, please give your input! Other components of this car still has a lot of life left in it...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back