Do I need high mileage oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st post to the forum, I have been reading and this looks like a great place for knowledge.

I just got a 2000 Toyota 4runner 3.4 V6 with 141k and I always change my own oil. I've had it for a few months and it hasn't burned any oil and has no leaks. Its time for an oil change.

Question,

Would i be better off switching it over to the high mileage oil or should I stay with the standard?

I usually run Pennzoil, is there a better choice? If I do go to high mileage oil, which is highly regarded?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Just use Pennzoil conventional oil for few changes, if oil consumption is more than a quart every 3-4k miles then change to high mileage oil. You may also want to change other fluids such as PSF, ATF, differential fluid, brake fluid, coolant ...

No.

High mileage oil is mainly a marketing triumph. It has some good attributes for cars that leak or burn oil, but otherwise, buy good conventional oil (including Pennz).

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Just use Pennzoil conventional oil for few changes, if oil consumption is more than a quart every 3-4k miles then change to high mileage oil. You may also want to change other fluids such as PSF, ATF, differential fluid, brake fluid, coolant ...

^ Right.
thumbsup2.gif

If you aren't burning or leaking any oil, there is really no need for high mileage oil.

Stay with what works. Pennzoil is a great oil, stick with it until you have a reason to do otherwise.

You've answered your own question.
If the thing doesn't burn or leak oil, why would you think that you should use an HM oil?
Use any 5W- or 10W-30 you want, and your Toy should be just fine.
If you start noticing leaks or consumption, try an HM oil.

One nice thing about HM oils is that most that I have heard of are synthetic blends, and their add package is more robust. So they're a better oil than the conventional oil of the same vendor. They usually cost only about $3 more than the conventional version.

If your engine is not consuming oil and you are following a sensible maintenance routine I do not recommend a HM oil. I prefer to fix what is mechanically wrong with a machine rather than mask symptoms, if they develop.

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to stick with conventional oil and monitor it for a few changes.

And i do plan on changes all the other fluids as well.

HM oils are a bit thicker in whatever designation/viscosity .
They have seal conditioners [soften and swell].
They have more AW and other additives.
There is much more than marketing - it is the other way around.

Sure, I'd go ahead and use it in your vehicle without a second thought.
But, you don't have to if you are in presently good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back