SFR = Superior Film Reduction ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SFR Superior Friction Reduction:

One Link

Another Link
Posted by bobistheoilguy
Nither of those links are technical data. They are sales page hype. Look at this and show me the technical data provided.

American Society for Testing and Materials ASTM KA24E Nissan Valve Train Wear Test
Key Points, Summary and Analysis

This ASTM test method measures the ability of crankcase oils to prevent cam shaft and rocker arm follower wear encountered during stop and go driving conditions and extended engine idling.

This new qualifying test, that will be used to qualify the next generation of engine oils documents a candidate oils ability to reduce primary metal wear of cam components and prevent scuffing of rocker arm pads.

The ASTM KA24E demonstrates an oils performance under severe service. Some of these conditions are short 10-mile trips, cold weather starts, and extended idling and pulling trailers. It's easy to see how most of us drive under severe conditions and how the KA24E simulates this common and demanding mode of operation for an engine.

Summary and Analysis

The primary test results confirm SFR 100's ability to further reduce wear in the modern passenger car engine that are using the most current generation motor oils. The results of the test indicate that when SJ rated Pennzoil 10W30 engine oil was treated at 5% by volume with SFR 100, the average camshaft lobe wear was reduced by an overall 14%.

The wear reduction with SFR 100 was even higher on the exhaust lobes, at 30% over the industry standard API SJ rated oil. These tests clearly show that SFR 100 reduces wear on the leading and trailing edge of cam lobes where the most heat, boundary layer lubricating and extreme pressure conditions exist.

Additional testing and analysis was performed at Cleveland Technical Center that revealed much larger wear reductions in hard metal debris when compared to the reference, untreated engine oil. Particle counts and analytical ferrography were performed and the SFR 100 treated engine oil generated and circulated up to 44.7% less abrasive particles, depending upon the ISO class examined.

This entire certified testing document, is available, as is the CRC L-38 Wear Test, from our Support Material Price List. Please also call out technical section with your questions.

American Petroleum Institute (API) CRC L-38 Engine Oil Test
Key Points, Summary and Analysis

CRC L-38 is the standard American Petroleum Institute (API) engine oil qualifying test used for the approval of all lubrication engine oils that carry the API approval signage.

This qualifying test uses the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Method D 5119-95. This test assures a high degree of oil compatibility with the formulated lubricant and the additive systems it uses (i.e. SFR 100, Comprez1000) are examples.

The test predicts a high confidence level in the lack of bearing corrosive wear.

The L-38 Test demonstrates high temperature protection against engine and oil deterioration. It further evaluates the viscosity stability of multi-viscosity oils, under high temperature such as those in heavy-duty service conditions. These test conditions, bench duplicate, taxi, towing and stop and go city-driving conditions.

Contamination control and how well the engine oil keeps an engine clean and free from sludge and varnish is measured under conditions of very high fuel dilution. Again severe or heavy duty driving conditions.

Actual wear of critical engine components is measured and compared to the engine manufacturer standards.

Summary and Analysis

SFR 100 was added, by the testing body, to an API licensed, retail engine oil of the newest performance level that being, API SJ, at the suggested treat rate of 5% by volume.

SFR 100 showed a significant improvement of 37% in power section wear over untreated oil and fully 45% better that the API SJ oils standard passing performance. This is the reduction of corrosive wear.

SFR 100 does not produce deposits in the form of sludge and varnish. In fact, SFR received and almost perfect score when rated for the amount of piston and ring deposits. This fully exhibits our keep-clean technology and complete technical balance under severe operating and test conditions.

[ August 23, 2003, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Bob ... and Moderators ....

I am not a Dealer of this product ........
and these are not my websites ............
so take them down if they break the rules.

no problem, I removed them but did make a point to copy how this shows what they call technical data and how it actually says nothing to support their info supplied with their contact info for sales.

[ August 23, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Repeat !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Has anyone ever heard of or used SFR (i.e. Superior Friction Reduction)?

quote:

Originally posted by red2rebel:
Repeat !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Has anyone ever heard of or used SFR (i.e. Superior Friction Reduction)?

No, I know nothing direct of the product and since they appear not to know much on technical data, I'd be somewhat aprehensive of using it until some basic questions are answered. One, why do you need that or any other after market friction modifier in your oil? Is it that you or anyone else feels the oil in use isn't cutting it?
Those are the real issues that need to be asked when looking to add in additives in an already balanced oil. Although I'm sure it'd be nice to know what kind of chemistry they use since they appear to not use any standard one.

BITOG,

I ask, because my Uncle owns his own concrete business with about 20 vehicles in the fleet, he uses it in everything he owns ... and has for many, many years ... work trucks, personal trucks, snowmachines, motorcycles, chainsaws, you name it. The stuff is amazing, and the thing is that when he started using the product ... synthetics weren't readily available to the public ... so I'm not sure what you (or the other guys on this site) thought of it. I did run a search first and came up dry. i do know however how you all feel about the majority of additives.

I was SIMPLY curious.

Thanks!

totally understand. See, the big question is, what are the chances that all his success with this additive isn't actually his success with good maintenance practices? Many who use this sort of thing will give the additive credit but often more than not, it actually is due to proper maintenance done instead. Proving how well an additive performed is almost near impossible in this sort of case.

From the sfrcorp website, the MSDS says:

synth diesel engine oil fortifier:
hydrocracked hydroisomerized group 3
magnesium sulfonate

gasoline engine synth oil fortifier:
PAO-1 decene homopolymer
phosphate ester

gasoline engine nonsynth petroleum oil fortifier:
Hydrotreated Light Naphthenic Oil
dispersant additive in severly hydrotreated

Get some VOA/UOA's and then make a judgement!

Thanks, unDummy
cheers.gif

[ August 23, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Scotto ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back