Castrol Magnatec Versus Castrol Edge FST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol Magnatec
Castrol Magnatec’s Intelligent Molecules cling like a magnet to your engine to provide an extra layer of protection from the moment you turn the key.

At the start of your journey
Up to 75% of engine wear occurs while your engine warms up. But Castrol Magnatec’s Intelligent Molecules cling to your engine, even when it is off, always protecting and dramatically reducing* engine wear during this critical period.

During your journey
Castrol Magnatec’s Intelligent Molecules continue to cling to your engine after your engine warms up. Castrol Magnatec helps maintain top engine performance by protecting your engine in all driving conditions and at all temperatures.

After your journey
All engine oils will drain to the bottom of your sump when your engine is off but Castrol Magnatec’s Intelligent Molecules keep clinging to critical parts of your engine ready to protect when you start your next journey.

In the mean time
Even if you haven’t been using Castrol Magnatec, it’s worth making the change. Castrol Magnatec’s Intelligent Molecules start working for you the day you change your oil. They cling and bond to engine surfaces, significantly reducing further engine wear and damage to already worn parts

Castrol Edge FST
Does the Edge have intelligent molecules that cling before, during and after the journey, or are they superior and stronger molecules slightly retarded though and unable to cling

What is the difference between the Magnatec and Edge FST oils other than advertising and some Titanium additive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Castrol Magnatec

Castrol Edge FST

Does the Edge have intelligent molecules that cling before, during and after the journey, or are they superior and stronger molecules slightly retarded though and unable to cling

crackmeup2.gif

I am pretty sure they are talking about some type of ester. I think both oils would be fine. We will never be privy to that info anyway. I would just get what fits your application the best or what is better priced.

Are there no Castrol sales reps on this site that can expand why the lack of reference to the ability of intelligent molecules to cling in the Edge oils advertising.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Are there no Castrol sales reps on this site

Castrol does not sell at retail level through sales reps.

The UMA (Unique Molecular Attractant) IS an ester...it's been discussed on the board heaps.

I had dinner one night with a Chemist who worked for Castrol in the development of magnatec.

Edge likely has esters, which do that sort of thing, maybe not the same.

With all of the different magnatec available, I'm not sure why they compete against it with edge.

Do they sell Magnatec in the US? I know it's a reasonably popular oil here in Australia, and also available in the UK, but I've never heard the US members mention it?

Shannow, have you noticed how Magnatec 10W40 is a fairly low cost oil (can often be had for under $30 per 5L), yet the 5W30 variety is nearly double the cost. I wonder why that is so often the case here in Australia, that 5W30 oil is nearly double the cost of 10W40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: uart
Do they sell Magnatec in the US?

They do not.

In Europe, Magnatec is positioned below Edge (ie. it is cheaper than Edge). Magnatec there is available in a number of grades that vary greatly in terms of composition. For example, Magnatec 5w-30 is marketed as full synthetic (aside from Germany for obvious reasons) while Magnatec 15w-40 is marketed as semi-synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
uart said:
In Europe, Magnatec is positioned below Edge (ie. it is cheaper than Edge). Magnatec there is available in a number of grades that vary greatly in terms of composition. For example, Magnatec 5w-30 is marketed as full synthetic (aside from Germany for obvious reasons) while Magnatec 15w-40 is marketed as semi-synthetic.

Yeah that's pretty similar to the situation here in Australia Q-Pete. The most commonly sold Magnatec here is the 10W40, which usually goes for less than half the price of edge! There's also a 15W40 that they market as a "Diesel oil", usually about the same price as the 10W40, maybe even a little higher. Then recently they added to 5W30 which they market as a "fuel saver", and which sells for about $55 for a 5L jug.

They seem to have positioned the 5W30 Magntec just below the price of their Edge product. I'm not really sure how much difference there is between these two products.

Last edited:
Do they sell Magnatec in the US? I know it's a reasonably popular oil here in Australia, and also available in the UK, but I've never heard the US members mention it?

Shannow, have you noticed how Magnatec 10W40 is a fairly low cost oil (can often be had for under $30 per 5L), yet the 5W30 variety is nearly double the cost. I wonder why that is so often the case here in Australia, that 5W30 oil is nearly double the cost of 10W40.

That particular 5W-30 is their new "economy" oil designed for lower friction, and is a pretty light 30...must have other stuff in it to bump the price up.

There's a lot of Magnatecs...check out the professional range, only available in 20L drums min...
The SP 5W40 syn is only available in 20L drums, and is $10-12/l that way. My Nissan liked it.

Hope the link works, but there's a load of 5W-30, 10W-30, and 5W-40 magnatecs.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Do they sell Magnatec in the US?

They do not.

I believe they did for a short period in the late-1990's to early-2000's IIRC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back