Ameriprise roadside assistance vs AAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter wants to get AAA even though she has roadside assistance through Ameriprise car ins. Any opinions on this?

I'm thinking it's better to stay with Ameriprise.

my mom has AAA, we have used it 3 times since the first of the year.. the guy that comes out works for AAA, he has a AAA truck, with batts on the truck. the tow truck looks like new. i dont know but some might hire contract guys. i have been thinking about getting AAA for myself

For me, the difference has been that the insurance reimburses for roadside assistance (not a problem if it is local.)
However if I am on the road or on vacation, it is much more convenient to make a call and have someone come out that has some level of credential (AAA approved) instead of trying to track down someone in an unfamiliar area.

Not sure what Ameriprise offers... AAA is one number, the same across country and travels with you, not an insured car, in case youre in someone elses vehicle or have another issue.

Not sure this is absolutely the case, but I think regular AAA only takes you to the closest AAA approved shop... We have plus, and when we have had to use it, the tow would take us where we specified that we wanted to go.

There are limits distance-wise, so if on a trip and further out than the 100 miles or whatever, you do have to pay, and tow drivers take the opportunity to charge an arm and a leg...

I have had AAA as long as I have been driving. Around here there are tow companies that are under contract with AAA and get reimbursed for the service. A few of my friends drive tow trucks and have said that the mobile gas service they have to buy the gas themselves and then get reimbursed from AAA for half the money they spend on the gas a few months later.

When you use roadside assistance from an insurance company like Ameriprise, it is considered a claim, the same as if you have any other claims to that insurance company. Too many claims and your rates go up.

Problem with AAA is that if you need to be towed, if you have the least expensive plan, they will only tow you free for something like 5 miles to your car dealer, or wherever you want. It is free if they tow you to their own business and you have your car fixed there. Anything over that 5 miles, you have to pay the tow company beaucoup bucks for each additional mile. Most people will just settle having them tow their car to the tow companys own garage. For a more expensive plan, they will tow you for something like 100 miles before you pay extra.

I had my former Mercury towed something like 7 or 8 miles to my local Ford Dealer. My AAA plan only covered 5 miles, so I had to pay something like two or three dollars for each additional mile. I paid less than ten dollars, and the tow guy wanted it in cash. Would have cost me nothing if I had them tow it to their own garage. Good thing I did not get it towed farther. I never knew this until it happened.

If you get AAA, make sure you get the correct information before you sign up for it.

I've got AAA Platinum or whatever their top-tier service is. Whatever, it's a business write-off. The cool thing is that it offers 1 200 mile tow and 3 other 100 mile tows through the year, and covers RV's in case I'm ever caught dead in one of those. I got it more for not being dependent on warranty roadside assistance, and since my Cruze has no spare tire. And, it's nice to tell the guy to drop you and the car off at home, get a good night's sleep, and worry about it in the morning.

I have AAA and paid for AAA when my kids were in college, since they were traveling 120 miles to and from school. Its primary advantage is the one phone call to get assistance, which I deemed important vs arranging and calling for my own tow, assuming I could even find a good set of phone numbers for local companies. Secondary advantage was that the price was already negotiated by contract and no money had to change hands. In our case, we have RV Plus allowing for the car to be towed home if within 100 miles or so of my house. Sometimes that would have been the best option all around.

Check with Ameriprise and see if they set an upper limit on the reimbursed amount, either by miles towed or dollars reimbursed. I got stuck once before I chose AAA with a towing company that charged more than the upper limit my insurance company used (not disclosed in the policy anywhere I could find) to reimburse me.

Lastly, will your daughter actually have the cash to pay for the tow at the time it is needed? AAA card resolves that issue for the most part.

These are the considerations that led to me retain AAA even though I could get tow service as part of my auto insurance.

Last edited:
I got AAA for only one reason: my wife. Now, if I'm not there, she has a someone to call if she gets a flat, stranded, breakdown, tow, etc.

My AAA card indicates I've been a "Member since 1953"... At that time I was 2!

My Mom had added me to her account when I was 16 and, in those days, it was a file card whose info eventually was transferred West. I sure do get good service, but my goal is always to not need Emergency Road Service.

AAA is the way to go, IMHO. The Plus service level includes motorcycles, as well.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back