Mixing tires - 195/60/15 on front, 195/65/15 back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car takes both sizes,I have 195/65/15 on it but my front two tires are kind of worn worse than the back and I have 2 195/60/15 tires from another vehicle in good shape, the car has 200K on it and don't expect it to last long. Can I put the 195/60/15 on the front, would it cause any issues? Will I need an alignment if I do so?

Originally Posted By: ckard
My car takes both sizes,I have 195/65/15 on it but my front two tires are kind of worn worse than the back and I have 2 195/60/15 tires from another vehicle in good shape, the car has 200K on it and don't expect it to last long. Can I put the 195/60/15 on the front, would it cause any issues? Will I need an alignment if I do so?

I would never mix tire sizes unless the specs call for different sizes for front and rear. Your car may "take" either size mentioned---but that's in sets of four. I _might_ run, say, 195/65/15 on one axle and 205/60/15 on the other, as a short-term fix to get a few months out of a car on its last legs.

Point is that lowering the ratio without increasing width will throw off the speedometer and could affect braking. (If you have ABS, stability control and so on you definitely do not want to try what you are thinking of. Not likely in a car with 200k.)

I hope to never buy used tires, but you might be the rare case where it could make sense. That's if you are sure your car will not surprise you and last a few more years....good luck.

No problem at legal speed limit. Many fastest sport cars in the world run seriously different size tires front and rear. Another word, car manufacturers gave you space saver spare tire which is a lot smaller than the other three with nothing more than a "do not exceed 50mph warning".

Don't see an issue unless the car is all-wheel drive, and so long as the difference is between the front and rear only.

ABS shouldn't be effected because at most its there to control wheel lockup. But obviously none of this is "recommended" (mixing tires).

But I'd be fine doing it.

You didn't provide nearly enough information for us to offer opinions on your questions.

Vehicle make. year, model is required. Does it have ABS? ETC etc? Are the tires "similar" or are 2 snows and 2 summer tires?

Does you car have ABS?
IDK wheather or not, mixing tire sizes can throw off your ABS at times!

Is that for your Sentra? What year is it?

In any case, I would stick with 4 identical tires personally.

Your car wasn't delivered from the factory with two different sizes mounted on it. That model may have had optional tire sizes, and the various tire vendors may list those options, but the only way Nissan intended it to be driven was with 4 tires of the same size.

I've seen folks mount tires that were "close enough" on used cars...as an example, the MB is the "Sportline" model, so it takes a 205/60R15...but when I bought it, someone had mounted 205/65R15s...because you can't get discount tires in the correct size. I fixed that within days of ownership, but at least with 4 identical tires, it handled well...

Take a look at either the door jamb or in your owner's manual to determine the correct size and then do yourself a favor and get 4 new tires in the correct size.

I know that you said the car has 200K and won't last too long...but if it's that close to dead, it's time to replace the car...and if you're going to drive it, you want it to be safe...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Your car wasn't delivered from the factory with two different sizes mounted on it. That model may have had optional tire sizes, and the various tire vendors may list those options, but the only way Nissan intended it to be driven was with 4 tires of the same size.

I've seen folks mount tires that were "close enough" on used cars...as an example, the MB is the "Sportline" model, so it takes a 205/60R15...but when I bought it, someone had mounted 205/65R15s...because you can't get discount tires in the correct size. I fixed that within days of ownership, but at least with 4 identical tires, it handled well...

Take a look at either the door jamb or in your owner's manual to determine the correct size and then do yourself a favor and get 4 new tires in the correct size.

I know that you said the car has 200K and won't last too long...but if it's that close to dead, it's time to replace the car...and if you're going to drive it, you want it to be safe...

This

Not okay. It will throw off your castor in your front end alignment. 195/65/15 is a common size on cavaliers and you should be able to find some in a junkyard for under $20 each. If lucky even mounted and balanced on rims you can use.

OTOH if you keep the overall diameter nearly identical, by going to 205/60/15s mixed with 195/65/15s for example, it's somewhat better. This will mix up your over/understeer though when driving at the limit-- but so would different tread compounds front and rear, etc.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I bet you could find tires in with the 65 profile that have nearly identical revolutions per mile as tires labeled 60 series. I have two sets of all seasons that are call the same size but they are nowhere near each other in actual dimensions.
I've run 13", 14", 15", winters, 3 season, summers, and R-compounds tires, 155 to 205 width, and 45 to 80 series on the Neon and I found there's nothing magical about about any of the tires that really changed the handling between them. When the suspension was stock, it understeered on all the tires I ran. With the car setup to rotate, it rotates with every size or compound I put on it.
Obviously there's nothing wrong with sticking the stock size, but if a couple hundred bucks is significant for the OP, I don't see any problem with his idea. I'd just make sure that the worse tires in the rain are on the front.

I just ran the numbers on a tire calculator, and there is MORE than a 3% difference in diameter. THAT's significant!

But there is also a difference in load carrying capacity. So we need to establish what the original tires were.

On every vehicle sold in the US – there is a sticker – commonly called the tire placard - that lists the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size. The placard is usually located on a doorpost or in the glove box – but sometimes it is located in the trunk or on the fuel filler door.

BTW, it doesn't matter who makes the tire or what pressure is listed on the tire's sidewall, if the tire size is the same as the placard, then the pressure listed on placard is also appropriate.

If the placard says you should have the 195/65R15's, then the 195/60R15's are overloaded by 8%. That doesn't sound like a lot, but on old tires, it could be enough to cause a tire failure.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
I just ran the numbers on a tire calculator, and there is MORE than a 3% difference in diameter. THAT's significant!

But there is also a difference in load carrying capacity. So we need to establish what the original tires were.

On every vehicle sold in the US – there is a sticker – commonly called the tire placard - that lists the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size. The placard is usually located on a doorpost or in the glove box – but sometimes it is located in the trunk or on the fuel filler door.

BTW, it doesn't matter who makes the tire or what pressure is listed on the tire's sidewall, if the tire size is the same as the placard, then the pressure listed on placard is also appropriate.

If the placard says you should have the 195/65R15's, then the 195/60R15's are overloaded by 8%. That doesn't sound like a lot, but on old tires, it could be enough to cause a tire failure.

Do tire manufactures have a standard range for actual rolling revolutions for each tire size? or what the tread width on the road should be for each width? I find there are large differences in tire tread width depending on the application. My "205" width snow tires are atleast an inch narrower than my 205 width DOT R-compounds, even my 195 width summer tires are wider than the the 205 all seasons as well.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Do tire manufactures have a standard range for actual rolling revolutions for each tire size?........

There is no requirement that tire manufacturers have to adhere to. It is what it is. If the tire manufacturer uses the tire standards (noting that a "standard" would be different than a "requirement"), then the rolling diameters will be reasonably close to others built to the same standard - and most follow the standard.

....or what the tread width on the road should be for each width?......

There is no standard nor requirement regarding the width of the tread. I hope it is obvious that tires of a given size designed for different applications would likely have different tread widths.

For example, a winter tire might have a very wide tread for snow traction, while a tire designed for low rolling resistance might have a very narrow tread width.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The larger tire width should be on the back. Otherwise nasty oversteer might catch you.

Both sizes he's considering have about the same width. They have different height/diameter.

I had different size front and rear snow tires on my BMW for a while. Worked fine and abs worked great.

Do tire manufactures have a standard range for actual rolling revolutions for each tire size? or what the tread width on the road should be for each width? I find there are large differences in tire tread width depending on the application. My "205" width snow tires are atleast an inch narrower than my 205 width DOT R-compounds, even my 195 width summer tires are wider than the the 205 all seasons as well.

There are two standards: 1. European. Most of the tire manufacturers adhere to this standard. 2. Metric American. The tire size starts with a P (P205/60R15). There is little difference between them and they are interchangeable. The European sizes tend to have higher load capacities, though. The rolling circumferences of tires from different manufactures are the same within tolerances.

Originally Posted By: Prelude

There are two standards: 1. European. Most of the tire manufacturers adhere to this standard. 2. Metric American. The tire size starts with a P (P205/60R15). There is little difference between them and they are interchangeable. The European sizes tend to have higher load capacities, though. The rolling circumferences of tires from different manufactures are the same within tolerances.

There is also a third standard - Japanese - and it is different as well. Again, it is close enough to the other 2 that they are interchangeable.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
There is also a third standard - Japanese - and it is different as well. Again, it is close enough to the other 2 that they are interchangeable.

How does one find this when looking at a tire size?

With the tires on my vehicle, it came with P215/65R16 96T. An example of American metric. I have since replaced with 215/65R16 98T. An example of Euro metric. (Incidentally, both OE and replacements were Michelin). What would the Japanese format look like for stating the size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back