GM AutoTrak II, Unknown mileage, 04 Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought this tahoe used and decided to drain and fill the transfer case. Not knowing the history I decided to send in a UOA of the old fluid just to make sure things are in good working order. Apparently we are the first owners of this one who think changing fluid is a good idea...

Capture.JPG

I would susepct that's factory fill and never been changed. It is VERY typical of most people (i.e. non-BITOGers) to change engine oil, but never ever look under the rest of the vehicle.

Also, (this is my opinion and not factually proven) I think that the auto-shifting t-cases are some fairly "average" units and not particularly robust. And, because they "auto-shift" into 4X4 mode, it can happen quickly and under heavy load. Those shock loads can be extreme. Most of us that have user-selectable 4x4 tend to ease into 4x4 when we are ready, or before the need is there. I had a 1998 Explorer that was "auto" shift 4x4. When it was slippery out, I would hear it constantly clunking in and out, sometimes under some pretty brutal conditions such as wheel slippage on icy patched roads. It would lock and unlock and lock and unlock. That has GOT to be hard on the gears and chain in the t-case.

Time will tell with the next UOA. If it's break in wear in this load, the numbers will settle down and all will be well on the new fill. If not, it's been abused.

Last edited:
I'm hoping you are right about the break in wear being a large contributor to those iron numbers. This is the NVG246 transfer case from GM, and the only fluid I know of that is approved is the GM AutoTrak II. That's what was put back into the transfer case.

I don't know much about the auto-track II fluid. I've heard it was basically the old DEX III with some FM in it for the auto-clutch mechanism, but I have NO basis of fact to place into that; rumor only. Also, isn't I blue or some purple color? (never seen it in real life).

I'm not saying it's a bad fluid by any means.

I susepct most of your wear metals are break in stuff. Time will tell.

Auto-Trak II is blue, you are right dnewton3. I replaced the transfer case fluid in my Silverado shortly after I bought it and it looked really good, so Im guessing it had been replaced before. This is the first time I have seen a UOA on this fluid.

The original viscosity is about 8cSt so it did shear, but if it was the original fluid, I would expect shear after that many miles.

I change my TC every time I change the ATF fluid, which is about every 35,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: 390pi
Google GM "pump rub."

These TCs wear through the case due to the oil pump.

That may explain the high magnesium.

Well - I hadn't thought of that. Because this is a Tahoe, and I'm not very familiar with the drivetrain, I wasn't thinking in that mode.

It is very probable that the Mg in this report is telling the OP that pump-rub onset has begun! DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!

What is pump rub? In short, the t-case eats itself a hole low in the case, and your fluid will drain out without your knowledge, and your case gears/chain will grind to an ugly halt.

If it has (and I suspect it has) there is no way to tell how bad the condition is unless you take the t-case apart. And by the time you go to that effort, you might as well do the fix at the same time. Read on ...

If this Tahoe has a t-case that is affected by pump rub, then I HIGHLY suggest it be addressed before pump rub eats a hole right through the case. Once the magnesium case gets a hole in it, you're into a VERY expensive repair or replacement.

Essentially, the t-case has a fluid pump body made of aluminum. Al is pretty soft, but unfortunately, the case halves are made from magnesium, which is actually softer. So as the pump body tangs bear against the internal case recesses, one of them grossly wears into the magnesium, and eventually rubs a hole right though the rear case half! (Hence the term "pump rub"). They discovered this issue early in design, and GM (actually New Venture) put a small metal clip in-between the pump and case, but it does not take long for that clip to:
1) break
2) fall out of position
3) stay in position, but bend out of shape, and not offer protection

Pump-rub can occur as early as 50k miles, or as late as 150k miles, but the general concensus is that it WILL happen at some point.

You can google GM pump rub for some videos. There are some vendors out there that sell kits to avert this disaster. There is one at Merchant Automotive that has a great detailed pump rub kit and fantastic DIY article. I didn't use their kit, but I did use their DIY for the "how to" remove/repair/replace.
http://www.merchant-automotive.com/transfer-case-pump-upgrade-kit.aspx
Here is the tech article:
http://www.merchant-automotive.com/tech/tcp.pdf

There is a lot of good info on that page. I am not pushing this brand over another; it's just that they have a great video and great write-up for the DIY. Also, their kit cost has come WAY down; it used to be around $175, but it's only $75 now!

The upside to the fix kits is that even if pump rub has started, as long as you catch and fix the problem before it eats all the way through, the "fix" will stop the continuation of the problem. So if you have an indentation started, but it's not rubbed all the way through, you can salvage the rear case half rather than buy a new one. Some guys have even gone so far as to use JB Weld epoxy to fill an existing hole, and it's held up for many tens-of-thousands of miles. I know of one such person over on another site.

I have a 3500 GM truck, and it has one of the very t-cases that is susceptible to "pump rub". I was so concerned about it that I did a pre-emptive install of a "pump rub elimination" kit at 10k miles; I'll never have to worry about the problem now. I used a "Riverside" kit; only $50 at the time. You can get the plate only for $50, or you can get a kit for $100. Choose product as your needs would dictate.
http://www.riversidegear.com/transfer-ca...ra-all-wit.html

Here is one from Kennedy:
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categoryres...ubCategory2=135
This site offers just the plate (lower down on the page) or a full repair kit including the rear case half (near top of page).

The Merchant Auto kit actually replaces the back half of the pump where the others are simply a plate that sits behind the pump. Personally, I think they all accomplish the task at hand. The "plate" style is a bit easier to install and requires just a bit less disassembly. Other than that, I see these all doing a great job equally well.

If you have pump rub and it's early in the progression (small indentation) I'd say just get the cheapest plate, install, and you'll never have to worry.
If you have pump rub and the progression is heavy (large indentation, but not rubbed completely through) then I'd say perhaps put in some epoxy to fill the void, and do a cheap plate.
If you have a full hole rubbed through (which means you'll have no oil left in the t-case) I'd suggest the full repair kit with case half.

Regardless, do it soon before it's "too late".

I credit 390pi with catching this tell-tale sign. And this is a perfect example of how a UOA can find problems BEFORE they competely destroy a piece of equipment. While not a 100% assurance that pump-rub has begun, I'd be willing to stake a small wager on it, as your Mg is WAY above average, and there is only one logical cause for the excess metal count.

Last edited:
Thanks 390pi and dnewton3. A quick google search shows that the NVG246 in this Tahoe is susceptible to the "pump rub" issue. I can't believe as a life long Chevy guy I'd never heard of this issue before. Looks like I have some research and a new weekend project!
smile.gif

Thank you guys very much!

GM pump rub was exactly right. I meant to provide a follow-up a while back and just kept forgetting. Got back under after receiving the alarming responses and found the under side coated in fluid. The shop thought it was the rear seal, but after I inspected further I found the pinhole leak.

Based on the high metal wear of the gears, we elected to replace the whole tcase instead of just buying a new housing. The new unit was treated with the upgrade kit prior to installation. Had I only drained and run a uoa months before may have been able to save a few thousand bucks. Makes the $25 uoa cost a no-brainer!

Really appreciate all the responses pointing me in the right direction. Hopefully this can help to save others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back