MMO Marvel Mystery Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started adding the mmo to both car's, the Alero get's up to 5% ethanol gas so figured I would try this out as I read lot's of good thing's about in on BITOG. I added just 2 oz. and am hoping it does some good stuff, I will report back if I notice any change in my vehicles with it, does anybody else have any good or bad thing's to say about the use of mmo in their vehicles? Oil or fuel related? I Will also be adding a little to my oil 200 miles before changing it.

i use mmo only in gas. but you need 4 oz to 10 gal of gas to do any thing. lt didnt give me MPG, but it starts VERY fast. it will all so save the valve stems, and piston rings.

The initial dose should be the amount to add MMO to your tank at a rate of 4 ounces per each 10 gallons of gas in the tank. 2 ounces to a full tank won't do anything for you. I don't know how many gallons your tank holds but as an example, if it holds 20 gallons, then your initial MMO dose would be 8 ounces. Then after that you only dose the amount of fuel it takes to fill up the tank.

I fill up when my gas gauge gets to the 1/4 tank mark. I know from experience that it will take about 14.5 to 15.5 or at the most 16 gallons from that point so I add in roughly 6 oz MMO at each fill up. I have done some experimenting and found that is the dose that works best in my truck. I carry my MMO with me to the gas station in an old Regane bottle, and I add it to the tank before pumping the gas in. This mixes the gas and MMO thoroughly.

You may find better info on MMO if you search. You can search BITOG with Google. Go to Google and put this in the the search box:

Marvel Mystery Oil added to fuel site:www.bobistheoilguy.com

This should give you hours of reading on the subject. MMO works great in my truck. I add it to my fuel at every fill up but I hardly ever add it to my oil. That is all I will say about it. Posts about MMO here on BITOG usually get out of hand with people who say it does not work, it is snake oil, they want to see definitive scientific quantitative proof that MMO has any benefits, etc etc. There are also posts from others like myself who get great results from MMO, but defending my use of MMO gets old real quick. The search function on Google should give you plenty of reading and plenty of opinions/results to look through.

Sound's good thank's for the info. I did a bunch of reading on it and know exactly what you are talking about, i'm looking to use it in the oil to clean up the motor a little bit, I know it will thin my oil out so that's why im just going to run it 200 miles and maybe i'll add some Schaeffers Moly to thicken it back up a bit, the reason I only added the 2 oz. is because of some of the people on here said they had better result's using half of the recomended quanity, I guess I will have to do my own experimenting with it and see how it goes.

MMO is best left on the shelf at Walmart. It may help to clean areas where the oil circulates, (thats a may) but at the expense of reducing the lubrication properties of your oil.

I'd go with Kreen (never tried) or Auto-Rx (tried)in the oil.

My '02 Malibu is similar to your Alero in regards to it's fuel tank capacity (about 14 gals) I add 6 oz every fill up to offset the drying effect of the unknown amounts of ethanol in the gas I buy, I try to buy top tier (shell in Ohio) but even then you just can't be sure. I have to be honest, I really haven't noticed any mpg gains, I only get a pathetic 22 mpg in my 3.1, but that be due to the EGR valve that needs to be replaced. I think I'm like alot of MMO users, I like the warm, fuzzy feeling it gives me, MMO is still cheap @ $5.49 a quart, and I like to think I'm deriving benefits unknown to me in the upper part of the engine. My odo reeds 112000 now, i want to see 200k if not more, and MMO can't hurt.

MMO made no difference for me when added to the Gas, But did make a marked change when I added half a quart to my engine oil, within about 200 miles.
I had gone the Arx route two years previously, with no results.
Never used it since, no need.

I have never seen a bad UOA when MMO has been added.
I have no cause to believe it adversely effects lubricity when used as directed.

Oh and sometimes I have been known to add about a pint to my crankcase for the last 500 miles or so before an oil change, I think MMO is a more gentle cleaner than Kreen, I know Kreen is a good product, I just don't feel the need for such an aggressive cleaner, MMO in combo with a good syn should be enough to keep things clean. I know MMO recommends adding up to 20% at every oil change, I'm against oil additives in most cases, I do add 100ml of lubra moly mos2 at every oil change,I generally scorn most additives that replace a good portion of the oil. Modern synthetics or even a good dino are good enough.

Ive have been using a pint of MMO to thin out the 20w50 for the winter. Works great. I also add a cap full to every gas fill up on my mowers. I have had a lot less carb trouble since I started using MMO in the gas Once again, no hard data. I dont even care if it doesn't do anything, I like the smell.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I add MMO to my mower gas too. I add maybe 2 or 3 tablespoons of MMO to my 2 gallon gas can when I fill it up at the beginning of summer. I shake the gas can up to mix the gas and MMO. I change the mower's oil at the beginning of every summer grass cutting season and put just a little MMO in the oil too. I just did this year's oil change and tune up and cut the grass last weekend. I have an 8 year old B&S 5.5 hp Huskee (MTD) mower that I bought at Tractor Supply. It always starts right up on the first pull, even after it has sat unused during the winter.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
The initial dose should be the amount to add MMO to your tank at a rate of 4 ounces per each 10 gallons of gas in the tank. 2 ounces to a full tank won't do anything for you. I don't know how many gallons your tank holds but as an example, if it holds 20 gallons, then your initial MMO dose would be 8 ounces. Then after that you only dose the amount of fuel it takes to fill up the tank.

I fill up when my gas gauge gets to the 1/4 tank mark. I know from experience that it will take about 14.5 to 15.5 or at the most 16 gallons from that point so I add in roughly 6 oz MMO at each fill up. I have done some experimenting and found that is the dose that works best in my truck. I carry my MMO with me to the gas station in an old Regane bottle, and I add it to the tank before pumping the gas in. This mixes the gas and MMO thoroughly.

You may find better info on MMO if you search. You can search BITOG with Google. Go to Google and put this in the the search box:

This should give you hours of reading on the subject. MMO works great in my truck. I add it to my fuel at every fill up but I hardly ever add it to my oil. That is all I will say about it. Posts about MMO here on BITOG usually get out of hand with people who say it does not work, it is snake oil, they want to see definitive scientific quantitative proof that MMO has any benefits, etc etc. There are also posts from others like myself who get great results from MMO, but defending my use of MMO gets old real quick. The search function on Google should give you plenty of reading and plenty of opinions/results to look through.

I think you nailed it Jimmy!

Thanks for all the info. I just added a few more oz. after reading this, yes my alero has a 14 gal. Fuel tank and the Malibu grand am and alero are all almost exactly a like and built on the same platform just the grand am gt and alero have the 3.4 which again is similar to the 3.1
I know these motors get a bad rap because of intake gaskets, but if your handy with a wrench like me the intake gaskets can be done for under $100 with the updated gasket and tq. Specs. I picked up my alero for $500 because the Guy thought and was told it would be thousands to fix haha.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190

Thanks

Your 2 ounces of MMO is too light in the fuel.
Like mentioned, about 4 ounces/10 gal gas is good.

But what if you DON'T see a mileage increase or perceive better running?
Actually, who cares? The benefits of lube for the fuel pump are #1 to me. Anything else [cleaning or top end lubing] is down the list.
I would not use it in an engine without a reason. Some right before an oil change is OK, though.

Yeah I don't care if it does anything at all. Just bought it to help counteract the affects ethanol has on a engine and rubber hoses etc. I'm sticking to just a little under the recommended amount like 3 oz. For every ten gallons for now though. See how it goes and can always add more if I have to

to get lubricators, check out www.ampcolubes.com its not like the original marvel mystery oiler. but it works just as good. i have using one for 3 years. just be sure you tap it in to both sides of the manifold.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
We also have to consider the very low cost of MMO use in the tank vs. the probably benefits.

I also like the smell of it, I'm going to be filling up the camaro tomorrow and will be adding 6 oz. for the initial dose, I read somewhere on here that a Guy put it in a spray bottle and uses it around the house haha, I did that today and stopped a pesky squeaking door, I'm not expecting fuel mileage gains but I check my mileage every time and will report back on any difference in mileage good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back