Diesel rated SAE30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking to myself. I want to try SAE30 in my 6.9L IH engine in my Ford pickup. Don't try to talk any sense into me....I just want to see how it does.

Problem is that the engine calls for a dual rated oil. I have only seen SAE 30 with a gas rating or a diesel rating but never both. Who makes a dual rated 30w? Or maybe a SAE40?

Hard to say but if its a diesel rated SAE30, it probably meets gasoline specifications anyhow, but nobody will bother listing it because its incredibly rare for a gasoline car to call for straight SAE30 these days.

Ill bet it calls for it as a way to spec whatever the actual ratings are on motorcraft oil. Doubt that the S ratings have any real effect.

Id agree that Rotella, which is the only straight that Ive seen in the wild for sale, only has a C rating, and a lousy one at that.

I personally wouldnt worry about it!

All the 30w around here was rated CF/SJ except for newer bottles/drums delivered this year. They "lost" the SJ rating.
I'm using it anyways.

Delo 400 SAE 30 and 40 are rated CF/SL, so it has both ratings.
Look in the VOA's for them.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Just thinking to myself. I want to try SAE30 in my 6.9L IH engine in my Ford pickup. Don't try to talk any sense into me....I just want to see how it does.

Problem is that the engine calls for a dual rated oil. I have only seen SAE 30 with a gas rating or a diesel rating but never both. Who makes a dual rated 30w? Or maybe a SAE40?

Worlds and markets apart once again...nearly every SAE30 I've seen is SF/CF, and they abound.

Mobil Delvac 1330 is the one that's usually in my shed, and it's cheap as !!!

Have seen Delo 500 in truck stops, and in hardware shops, it's sold as this

http://www.caltex.com.au/PRODUCTSANDSERVICES/Pages/ProductDescription.aspx?ID=1647

Ran it in various things including the E30, and J-Car (It's also been used in Hadfield's Merlin engined '55 Chev).

Can't find it on the U.S. sites, but Chevron Texaco Caltex are supposed to be global.

the only sae30 i see around here is sm or sn rated. have to keep my eye out for delo or delvac.amsoil is to expensive when using a qt every 500 miles. I want to see if sae30 lasts longer.

Last edited:
Deere makes a straight 30 wt. diesel lube thats dual rated, I only use it in gear boxes that call for that spec, why don't you use a 10w-30 in the 6.9?
I have an '89 7.3 IDI that I have been running 10w-30 in for the past few years without issue, and easier cold starts.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Deere makes a straight 30 wt. diesel lube thats dual rated, I only use it in gear boxes that call for that spec, why don't you use a 10w-30 in the 6.9?
I have an '89 7.3 IDI that I have been running 10w-30 in for the past few years without issue, and easier cold starts.
I live in the desert so cold starts are not a problem. The thing is drinking oil so I wanted to try a straight weight to see if things improve.

Since the CDR didn't help, try replacing the valve stem seals. This can be done in the vehicle with an overhead valve spring compressor. The old style seals were notoriously ineffective but he newer types are much more effective.

Ya I kinda figured that the valve seals may be hard and shrunken. Been all over looking for a diesel 30wt and theres none to be found. Only place left is walmart, I think they do carry a universal sae30 in 2 gallon jugs.

But theres nothing at PB,Napa, A-zone or O'rileys.

Originally Posted By: Sonataman
Napa online has almost any diesel oil you could want.

Delo 400 SAE 30 listed as in stock at the Apple Valley Napa store. If the listing is wrong, they oughta' have offered to order it.

Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
Originally Posted By: Sonataman
Napa online has almost any diesel oil you could want.

Delo 400 SAE 30 listed as in stock at the Apple Valley Napa store. If the listing is wrong, they oughta' have offered to order it.
I couldn't figure that stupid site out! The AV store is way out of my way, how about the hesperia store. I work 2 minutes from that one. AV is 30 minutes in the wrong direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back