Bug/Tar remover...(dried on/old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some recommendations for a good Bug/Tar remover...
What are some of the most effective ones you guys have experience with?

One that can be used in a quick detailing session will be an added bonus...
This is for already dried on/old bugs.

Last edited:
Concentrated car wash can remove it. Also Turtle wax makes something specific that you can apply similiar to a wax and remove. Works wonders. Most spray products wont be as effective in my experience....

Ooo -- dried on bugs are not good. They often will etch your paint. Surf City Road Trip Grime Remover works well -- along with a bug scrubber. I've read that if you soak a towel/MF in hot water, lay it on the dried bug-guts for awhile, they will come right off.

Stoners Tarminator works well on tar. Clay will work on tar and bugs.

Last edited:
A little WD-40 sprayed on a soft cloth works as good as any.

Use it on a clean surface, and wash afterwards.

I use Dryer sheets. Work great and wont scratch the paint. If you can't get it off with a dryer sheet, its probably not coming off without taking some paint with it!

For bugs on the motorcycles, I spray Slick Mist, then gently work it with a microfiber after it soften up the goo. Used to use Plexus but I'm out of it right now. Seems the Slick Mist makes it a little easier next time around, like it left a little bit of protection coating.

Seems I read somewhere at one time about using teflon spray.

Poorboys Bug Squash which can be diluted down. Won't strip wax/sealant like some other products.

What I due is place several new dryer sheets in a small pail of water and let them soak for a bit, I have a bug scrubby sponge I only use with this bucket. I just put some of the water on areas with bugs let it set a bit and they scrub right off. Poor Boys bug squash works very well too if you don't want you ride to smell like an Alpine Meadow Spring.

Originally Posted By: LPMAN
What I due is place several new dryer sheets in a small pail of water and let them soak for a bit, I have a bug scrubby sponge I only use with this bucket. I just put some of the water on areas with bugs let it set a bit and they scrub right off. Poor Boys bug squash works very well too if you don't want you ride to smell like an Alpine Meadow Spring.

That isn't a bad smell to have. Smells better then the little green tree pine smell haha.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
dryer sheets? please explain. they are so rough or are you talking about spent dryer sheets?

Yup, just plain dryer sheets. Buy the cheapest ones you can get and just get them wet before you use them...

Originally Posted By: 65convertible
After using many products I stumbled across tarminator by Stoner. This stuff removes pine sap, bugs, etc and does it efficiently.

Works well!!

I agree and will use nothing else after trying MANY others over the years. It does strip everything off of the paint so wax or sealant should be reapplied asap. For just bugs I prefer Poorboy's Bug Squash, it works wonders and does not strip the surface.

For tar, 3M's Adhesive Remover works great. It's safe for cured paint but will remove wax & silicone.

For dried-on bugs, I use HOT soapy water to wet an old towel, lay it on the area to rehydrate, then clean off the mess with a sponge.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will try the Tarminator, or Bug Squash (2nd choice).
DO they sell Tarminator at AAP/AZ/OR etc?

BTW, the car has a clear bra covering front, part of hood (about 7 inches) and part of front fender (overhang), so all this bug/tar junk is on the clear bar, but still it looks ugly...as the Bimmer is white.

I am going to wash the car and then at home, try using the Tarminator and just concentrate on the bug stuff. Then my plan is to wash with ONR and use a quick wax/sealant. Once I get that done, for the future I PLAN to get the bug stuff off whenever it happens or ASAP, and use a quick detailer to keep everything in good shpape until the next ONR wash.

I am going to try not to be lazy about detailing/cleaning like i have been so far.
most of the procrastination came from us not having a garage till last month. Now we have a new place with a garage (YAY !!!
smile.gif
)and i am more encouraged to do detailing etc, now. Makes a big difference in motivation.

If your main concern is bugs I recommend the Poorboy's Bug Squash above the Tarminator. It would be smart to have both for sure especially with a white car. Bug Squash can be used anytime then just go about your business where Tarminator strips everything requiring yet another step. Bug Squash is also cut 3 to 1 with water allowing it to go farther. I've never had to use it full strength. Autogeek has both but you might find Tarminator at Pep Boys. Poorboy's must be ordered.

Just got a Griots catalogue with this :http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/bug+barricade+35+ounces.do?sortby=ourPicks
I hope the link works, but anyway, might make a nice preventative measure.
Has anyone tried this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back