2007 Ford F150 Left front wheel getting hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The company I work for is disposing some of its trucks. They have a 2007 Ford F150 4x4 FX4 pickup. The truck has high milelage 166,000. But they were almost all highway. The guy that drove the truck had a 65 mile trip to work on I-10 everyday and worked in the office. They parked the truck because the guy said the wheel got hot about two miles from the office, he brought it back and they hosed it off and it steamed like crazy, so they parked it and are just disposing of it, they gave me a Great price on it as is. The truck is in really nice shape, no dents, not beat up at all. I talked to the guy and he said he started it up, the next day and moved it around the parking lot and the wheel is fine, it didnt get hot, it wasnt locked up and moved freely around the lot. The guy said he heard no noise from the hub. I talked to Ford and they said it may be a hub. They said it didnt sound like a caliper, once they lock, they stay locked. They said it sounds like a bad brake hose, they said on hot days, (it was about 95 degrees, the day it got hot),the brake lines sometimes suck shut and when they cool down they release, thats what it sounds like to him, just replace the brake hose on that wheel. What is your take, I doubt its anything with the four wheel drive, since it wasnt really used alot. regardless, I sent them a check and I am waiting for the title, I know it cant be anything super big. Anybody had this kind of trouble before?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hypervish
Check the calipers.

+1

If it were a wheel bearing I'd expect something beyond the wheel getting hot.

If you can compress the caliper easily when it is cold ( has not been driven at all) then it is probably the brake hose. Seen this many times before. If it were my vehicle I would do the brake hose first to see if that fixes the tight brake problem heating up the wheel. Then most likely replace the caliper as well since they are not that expensive and bad brakes can be very dangerous.

Replace the hose and replace or rebuild the caliper and do it on both sides, then flush out the fluid until you have fresh clear fluid at all wheels. Whether it was the hose or the caliper, both have rubber components that have been compromised due to the high heat. On the other side, well, if it was the left fron hose that failed you can expect the right front to do so soon as well. Calipers should always be replaced or rebuilt as pairs to prevent uneven performance. The fluid should be flushed because it may well be contaminated and cause a repeat failure.

For the next few thousand miles keep an ear out for any rumbly noises from the wheel bearings in the left front. They can take quite a bit of heat without any real damage, but only so much.

Thanks for the tips. I think its a brake problem too. Some people said its the hub, but if it was, it should be making some serious noise when I get it off the ground and spin it, if it is locking the wheel. I am going to take it to a garage, since I am picking it up at a office 80 miles away and I have a trip home. I cant see it being anything more than a hub or a brake hose/caliper. It doesnt take alot to produce heat and steam, when its already 95 degrees out.

80 miles is a long ride when there's a good chance you might have a brake clamp down on you. Allow for extra time in case you need to stop and wait for a cool down that could take over an hour. Take it slow and leave plenty of following distance so you can brake less and with less pressure and keep temps down.

Iam going to take it to a garage in Jacksonville before I even attempt to drive it home, plus I have towing on my insurance and road service if I have trouble. I got the truck for $3000, way is, so I dont mind if I have to invest a little in a hub. I cant see this problem being to costly.

This exact issued happened to me just a month ago on my 07 4X4 Mark LT. Left front got real hot. I was Driving down the freeway at at 65 mph, cool outside when all of a sudden it felt like I had a flat tire. Front end was shaking. I pull over and the rotor was really really hot. I was only a few blocks from my Ford dealer. Took it there and they couldn't find anything wrong. Tested it out and drove it as well. They said it was fine. I've gone about 500 miles since with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back