Vacuum pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, my AC job is coming up soon and I need a vacuum pump on the cheap. I was looking at one of these. But I was wondering if my compressor could run it. I have one of these. Do you guys think my compressor could run that little guy?

Id hate to put wear and tear on my compressor when a purpose-suited unit would do a much better job and pull a better vacuum.

Specs say it requires 4.2 cfm @ 90psi, your compressor puts out 6.3cfm @ 90psi, so yes, it will work. However, it puts a heck of a beating on the compressor and the electric bill, very noisy as well.

The compressor will be running non-stop to keep up for the 45-60 minutes necessary pull a proper vacuum vacuum and even then it can't match a bottom of the line electric vacuum pump.

Spend the extra $90 and get an electric pump.

I've done few jobs with an air powered pump, but never again. I rented a vacuum pump from Autozone and it was pleasure. Nice and quiet and pulled a deeper vacuum than I could ever get with the venturi pump.
banana2.gif

I guess I'll be getting an actual vacuum pump. I thought about renting one from Auto Zone but they want $154.99. Screw that! I can buy the thing cheaper and take the girlfriend out to a nice seafood dinner. I just hope there's no leaks in the evaporator or condenser!

Is that price from AutoZone for the rental or is that a deposit? If that is the price for a one day rental it had better be some sort of super pump able to pull down to 4 inches water.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Is that price from AutoZone for the rental or is that a deposit? If that is the price for a one day rental it had better be some sort of super pump able to pull down to 4 inches water.

Its just a deposit, plus tax, you get it back in full when the tool is returned.

However, without a CC card one would have to cough up $160+ in cash.

Also, it can be PIA to get one, its not an in-stock item. It took multiple attempts before Autozone finally had someone with a brain who knew how to order it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back